N/S QB Zach Wilson traded to the Broncos (1 Viewer)

He was drafted to the Jets. It is so very rare for a QB to go to a trash team with trash coaching and succeed. Jets, Browns, Raiders, Bucs, Bears, etc are teams where there was little to be expected in any QB drafted there because those organizations historically have failed the players they drafted. Crap, by all old head accounts, we failed Archie. I reserve my views/thoughts on QBs until I see them with competent coaching.

Wilson - Drafted to the Jets
Lance - Never given a chance to develop
Jones - After good rookie season, loses great OC to HC gig, and must deal with the dual headed monster of Joe Judge and Matt Patricia his 2nd season and Billy O his 3rd season

We just look at the what and not necessarily the "why."

More often than not, QBs are failed by the organization, as that is the most dependent position on the field.
I agree Bud, People just take the low hanging fruit and look at just the surface due to laziness. And not look at the why , like who the position coaches , coordinators or HC were. Too quick to call them busts. I'm going to say that Penning is a great example of this

Wilson is never going to do anything of note in the NFL, It is so very rare for a QB to do horrible first few years then all of the sudden become serviceable let alone a quality starter.
Tell that to Geno Smith,Nick Foles ,Stabler, Bradshaw

Also Vinny Testaverde and Alex Smith. Both were former #1 overall drafted QBs who were terrible in their first 3 years or longer. They eventually had long careers as productive serviceable-quality starters with the right coaching staffs.

Testaverde became a Pro Bowl QB in his 10th and 12th seasons. His TD-int ratio began improving in his 7th season. Alex Smith began leading his teams to the playoffs in his 7th season and beyond under Harbaugh and Andy Reid. His 5th season was his first productive year in passer rating and TD/ints.

Not really, as we don't know what all options he had and all we really heard were rumors, but the deal was announced during the tampering window so :shrug:. All things considered, he is on a team coached by the reigning coach of the year with a defense lead by the reigning assistant coach of the year, replacing the reigning comeback player of the year, on a squad that won 11 games sitting behind a player that might not be available the first game of the season playing in an offense that checks every "strengths" box. I would have tried to go somewhere to be a starter, but he found himself in a great situation on the off chance that Watson gets himself hurt again.

Or if somebody Rubs Watson the wrong way. :hysterical:

I think Wilson is a better fit than JW because of age and because He really did not have good QB coaching in NY and it's easier to break bad habits if you have not been doing them too long. Ole JW went through 100 QB coaches , OC's and HC's. That's a lot to unlearn
I can agree to a point. All Winston needed was a scheme that ran a little more play-action, didn't have him throwing in tight windows every other play, and didn't have option routes built into every route nearly every play. Brady struggling in that system should have been a tell-tale sign, but instead of blaming the quarterback like they did in 2019, they blamed everyone but Brady, which led to modifications in the offense for Brady.

The crazy thing is even in 2019, Winston was better at play-action than Brady his entire time in Tampa. lol

2023: 'I know that I'm still a starting quarterback in this league'
Also 2023: Signs as a backup

2024: 'my goal is to be, and my desire is to be, a Super Bowl-winning starting quarterback in this league'
Also 2024: Signs as a backup

But 'we don't know what his options were' 🤡🤪😂

Sounds a lot like his options were (and continue to be): "C'mere, son, you're a backup."

Last edited:
2023: 'I know that I'm still a starting quarterback in this league'
Also 2023: Signs as a backup

2024: 'my goal is to be, and my desire is to be, a Super Bowl-winning starting quarterback in this league'
Also 2024: Signs as a backup

But 'we don't know what his options were' 🤡🤪😂

Sounds a lot like his options were (and continue to be): "C'mere, son, you're a backup."
You can quote me next time... :)

And actually, we don't know. Would you rather be a starter for the Jets (just a random team) or would you take your chances on a better team. I'm not going to act like I know what options he had but I'm also not going to sit up here and act like I don't know what options he didn't have. But at the end of the day

All things considered, he is on a team coached by the reigning coach of the year with a defense lead by the reigning assistant coach of the year, replacing the reigning comeback player of the year, on a squad that won 11 games sitting behind a player that might not be available the first game of the season playing in an offense that checks every "strengths" box. I would have tried to go somewhere to be a starter but he found himself in a great situation on the off chance that Watson gets himself hurt again.

Last edited:
Also Vinny Testaverde and Alex Smith. Both were former #1 overall drafted QBs who were terrible in their first 3 years or longer. They eventually had long careers as productive serviceable-quality starters with the right coaching staffs.

Testaverde became a Pro Bowl QB in his 10th and 12th seasons. His TD-int ratio began improving in his 7th season. Alex Smith began leading his teams to the playoffs in his 7th season and beyond under Harbaugh and Andy Reid. His 5th season was his first productive year in passer rating and TD/ints.
Vinny Testicle was a great comeback QB

Tell that to Geno Smith,Nick Foles ,Stabler, Bradshaw
Thats like 4 Qbs out of hundreds. Still extremely rare. Its the same thing as saying a QB drafted in the 7th round coukd become your franchise qb.

Yes, it happens but is so very rare

If Payton traded for Zach Wilson, then he was looking for a QB. I'm surprised he didn't get Winston in free agency.
He had Winston here and left. Why is it so hard for the Winston half to comprehend? No one wanted him when we signed him, no one wanted him the following two years. He was fortunate to find a gig in Cleveland as a backup. Wish him the best, but ya'll need to see the forest for the trees. Lawd...

He had Winston here and left. Why is it so hard for the Winston half to comprehend? No one wanted him when we signed him, no one wanted him the following two years. He was fortunate to find a gig in Cleveland as a backup. Wish him the best, but ya'll need to see the forest for the trees. Lawd...
Don't get too real. It's too painful for the Stans.

The NFL is a production business. If you can't produce, teams move on from you.

And in particular at the QB position, where at least a third of teams are seeking to improve their starter at any given time, if there was a genuine starter sat out there, a needy team would sign them to start.

When everyone has moved on from you as a starter, it's because you're not a starter.

Even the HOF bound coach who seemingly got the best results from him, who is actively remaking his QB room right now, didn't sign him.

Options! Hilarious.

He had Winston here and left. Why is it so hard for the Winston half to comprehend? No one wanted him when we signed him, no one wanted him the following two years. He was fortunate to find a gig in Cleveland as a backup.
In 2022, Sean Payton could have had any QB that he wanted because Winston was an UFA. What that means is Winston didn't have a contract and was not a member of the Saints when CSP quit. At some point, yall are going to have to let that narrative go. lol

Even the HOF bound coach who seemingly got the best results from him, who is actively remaking his QB room right now, didn't sign him.
Winston and the Browns agreed to terms during the tampering period, so this is something that probably has been going on for a while, but we don't know. Difference is, I won't act like I know. What I do know is while yall keep harping over Sean Payton and Winston not being signed to one of the worst constructed teams in the NFL...

......he is on a team coached by the reigning coach of the year with a defense lead by the reigning assistant coach of the year, replacing the reigning comeback player of the year, on a squad that won 11 games sitting behind a player that might not be available the first game of the season playing in an offense that checks every "strengths" box.

If you spend 2 minutes to look outside of New Orleans and anyone that's been associated with the Saints, it would make a little more sense. Yall so worried about Winston not being signed by Sean Payton that yall seem to miss that he is going to a much better team being coached by a coach going into his 5th season that has won coach of the year twice.

In the wise words of @schuetter , that he might not be following himself...
ya'll need to see the forest for the trees.

In 2022, Sean Payton could have had any QB that he wanted because Winston was an UFA. What that means is Winston didn't have a contract and was not a member of the Saints when CSP quit. At some point, yall are going to have to let that narrative go. lol

Winston and the Browns agreed to terms during the tampering period, so this is something that probably has been going on for a while, but we don't know. Difference is, I won't act like I know. What I do know is while yall keep harping over Sean Payton and Winston not being signed to one of the worst constructed teams in the NFL...

If you spend 2 minutes to look outside of New Orleans and anyone that's been associated with the Saints, it would make a little more sense. Yall so worried about Winston not being signed by Sean Payton that yall seem to miss that he is going to a much better team being coached by a coach going into his 5th season that has won coach of the year twice.

In the wise words of @schuetter , that he might not be following himself...
It’s cool you have an opinion. Let’s see what the rest of his career entails and compare notes in a few years.

It’s cool you have an opinion. Let’s see what the rest of his career entails and compare notes in a few years.
Fine by me...lol. Truth is, outside of "30 interceptions," most couldn't tell you anything about his career.
In all seriousness, we are making not getting signed by the Broncos way deeper than what it is. It's not like he signed to the Panthers or any other trash team. Dude signed with one of the better teams in the AFC led by one of the best coaches in the NFL. Much worst places to be. lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom