N/S QB Zach Wilson traded to the Broncos (3 Viewers)

Wilson is never going to do anything of note in the NFL, It is so very rare for a QB to do horrible first few years then all of the sudden become serviceable let alone a quality starter.

If Payton traded for Zach Wilson, then he was looking for a QB. I'm surprised he didn't get Winston in free agency.

Wilson is a lot younger and Payton already got to work with JW and knows how JW operates within his system. He didn't attempt to sign JW yet traded for Wilson, that says a lot.

So much hype for Wilson, Lance and Jones coming out of the draft -- now look where they are.

This just proves; the talking heads are not always right.

Wilson is never going to do anything of note in the NFL, It is so very rare for a QB to do horrible first few years then all of the sudden become serviceable let alone a quality starter.
He was drafted to the Jets. It is so very rare for a QB to go to a trash team with trash coaching and succeed. Jets, Browns, Raiders, Bucs, Bears, etc are teams where there was little to be expected in any QB drafted there because those organizations historically have failed the players they drafted. Crap, by all old head accounts, we failed Archie. I reserve my views/thoughts on QBs until I see them with competent coaching.

So much hype for Wilson, Lance and Jones coming out of the draft -- now look where they are.

This just proves; the talking heads are not always right.
Wilson - Drafted to the Jets
Lance - Never given a chance to develop
Jones - After good rookie season, loses great OC to HC gig, and must deal with the dual headed monster of Joe Judge and Matt Patricia his 2nd season and Billy O his 3rd season

We just look at the what and not necessarily the "why."

More often than not, QBs are failed by the organization, as that is the most dependent position on the field.

He was drafted to the Jets. It is so very rare for a QB to go to a trash team with trash coaching and succeed. Jets, Browns, Raiders, Bucs, Bears, etc are teams where there was little to be expected in any QB drafted there because those organizations historically have failed the players they drafted. Crap, by all old head accounts, we failed Archie. I reserve my views/thoughts on QBs until I see them with competent coaching.

Jones - After good rookie season, loses great OC to HC gig, and must deal with the dual headed monster of Joe Judge and Matt Patricia his 2nd season and Billy O his 3rd season

More often than not, QBs are failed by the organization, as that is the most dependent position on the field.

To a point, I agree with you.

I live in Boston and can tell you the organization did not fail Mac Jones. Mac Jones failed Mac Jones by thinking he was greater than the team. His persona on and off the field is what made him lose favoritism.

Trey Lance looks like he was a glorified combine stud. Couldn't beat out Jimmy G and Mr. Irrelevant Brock Purdy. Lance was a guy that was supposed to change the game.

Zach Wilson looks to be a spoiled rich kid that didn't get his way. His family is more highly touted than him at this point should speak volumes. If he is going to turn it around, Payton is the only person who could do it.

Jared Goff is one that comes to mind; garbage with the Rams and has recreated himself in Detroit.

I'll gladly take him back. Move Allen back to DC and there you go.
Same here, but looking at the moves that he's making, i'm glad that he's not running our FO right now. However considering who is, I guess it wouldn't matter much anyway.

A 6th for Wilson and a 7th, that's basically getting him for free.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has some level of success with Payton, but I 100% believe Denver is not done adding QBs, and will probably take on early in the draft.

Yup, low risk possible high reward....if he makes the team.....Just a hunch, I think CSP will go after JD.....but will definitely take a QB early if in position for the right one.....

They are desperate for a QB in Denver... People laughed when I said they will look to trade up, or even take Nix or Pennix at 12.... Who's laughing now with the addition of Super Bust Zach Wilson? LOL

Yes, to give up a 6th and a 7th reeks of desperation......it's not exactly going out on a limb thinking CSP will be looking to get a QB early....

On the surface I agree with the gist of what you're saying, however, as bad as the Bucs have been historically, they did get some juice from a few of the QBs they drafted. The following players had their moments:

1978 1st Round - Doug Williams
1987 1st Round - Trent Dilfer
1999 2nd Round - Shaun King
2003 3rd Round - Chris Simms
2015 1st Round - Jameis Winston

To a point, I agree with you.

I live in Boston and can tell you the organization did not fail Mac Jones. Mac Jones failed Mac Jones by thinking he was greater than the team. His persona on and off the field is what made him lose favoritism.
So was linking him with horrible offensive coordinators a way to humble him? Because truth is, outside of Mac Jones, the Patriots coaching and personnel sucked after 2021. If Josh McDaniels would have stayed, the Mac Jones story would probably be a lot different. But screw him....WAR EAGLE!
Trey Lance looks like he was a glorified combine stud. Couldn't beat out Jimmy G and Mr. Irrelevant Brock Purdy. Lance was a guy that was supposed to change the game.
Objectively, Trey Lance was a raw prospect that didn't have that many games under his belt. Instead of modifying the offense around what he can do, they kept doing what they were doing while not allowing him to develop. The 49ers failed Trey Lance, and moreso because he wasn't Shanahan's guy, and we know how those Shanahans get when they don't get their guy. lol

Zach Wilson looks to be a spoiled rich kid that didn't get his way. His family is more highly touted than him at this point should speak volumes. If he is going to turn it around, Payton is the only person who could do it.
Him being a spoiled rich kid doesn't take away from the fact that he was drafted to one of the worse teams that one could hold for. I can think of many different places that he could have went that would have worked out a lot better for him but at least is he going to a coach that will at least take his strengths into account.

Jared Goff is one that comes to mind; garbage with the Rams and has recreated himself in Detroit.
Crazy thing; Goff wasn't really garbage. His last season, they lost in the division round and the next season, they loaded up. We know what happened in 2022, and this season, they had to go on a 2nd half tear to make the playoffs. All I'm saying is I don't think Goff ever started the season 3-6.

Did leaving help him regain the confidence he needed that McVay curbed stomped? Yep
Was he ever a bad QB? Nope
Was the narrative around him partly due to McVay being the golden child? More than likely

On the surface I agree with the gist of what you're saying, however, as bad as the Bucs have been historically, they did get some juice from a few of the QBs they drafted. The following players had their moments:

1978 1st Round - Doug Williams
1987 1st Round - Trent Dilfer
1999 2nd Round - Shaun King
2003 3rd Round - Chris Simms
2015 1st Round - Jameis Winston
Doug Williams - Seen as a bust for the Bucs. Got the juice in Washington and even then....smh
Trent Dilfer - Took 4 years for him to actually do something and ended up signing with the Ravens as a backup. Now he is coaching my hometown team to a losing record...LOL
Shaun King - Eh....
Chris Simms - No...lol
Jameis - He is considered a bust and can't nobody really tell you why, other than "30 interceptions." lol

If we are looking at their time with the Bucs, Josh Freeman was probably better than 4 of the 5 that you listed. And this isn't even mentioning Steve Young...lol

Payton is just trying to find the most surefire way to be available when this job becomes available next offseason. Replacing a bad Wilson with a somehow worse Wilson seems to support the notion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom