N/S QB Zach Wilson traded to the Broncos (1 Viewer)

I didn't follow Wilson's college career but I did watch several games of his as a rookie in the NFL and what I saw was that he made several smart plays that rookie QBs don't normally make. And then... he just fell off. I always wondered if it was him or the team. So I will be curious to see what Payton can do with him and won't be surprised if he bounces back.

Last edited:
I didn't follow Wilson's college career but I did watch several games of his as a rookie in the NFL and what I saw was that he made several smart plays that rookie QBs don't normally make. And then... he just fell off. I always wondered if it was him or the team. So I will be curious to see what Payton can do with him and won't be surprised if he has bounces back.
Dude was never given a chance to succeed. He was sacked 44 times as a rookie, and that was only in 13 games cause they yanked him and played Mike White. He had ZERO running game and a horrible o-line and no one to throw the ball too. Their leading rusher was Michael Carter with like 600 yards, and had no real leading reciever. Elijah Moore, Jamison Crowder, and Braxton Berrios each had about 45 or so catches for about 500 yards each.

In 2022 Breece Hall was a bright spot, but got injured early in the season, and Garrett Wilson was drafted and became a true number 1 WR, but the O-line was still suspect, they gave up 42 sacks. Wilson was never given an opportunity to grow with the offense, he only got 9 starts, and White and Flacco both got 4 each. No matter who was QB, they had about a 57% competition rate with about a 1:1 TD:INT ratio (Flacco slightly better.) Contrast Flacco's performance in New York with his performance a year later in Cleveland, and the issues clearly are not the QB.

Then in 2023 the jets trade for ARod and Wilson doesn't get to run with the 1s at training camp, or at practice. It should be noted that after ARod goes down that Wilson played significantly better than either Siemian or Boyle.

In summary, I think Wilson's failure in the NFL is attributed much more to the organization than Wilson's ability. I would be 0% surprised if he grows into a better than serviceable QB for Payton.

And still nothing offered to argue away the simple, empirical fact that the QB who claimed he sees himself as a starter in this league and seeks to be a starter, continues to sign backup contracts.

Almost as if... he has no better options.

Actually, just disregard the 'Almost as if' part of that statement. It's something that's blatantly obvious to everyone but his most ardent and blinkered fan.

Fine by me...lol. Truth is, outside of "30 interceptions," most couldn't tell you anything about his career.
In all seriousness, we are making not getting signed by the Broncos way deeper than what it is. It's not like he signed to the Panthers or any other trash team. Dude signed with one of the better teams in the AFC led by one of the best coaches in the NFL. Much worst places to be. lol
I said nothing about Winston not signing in Denver, though I don't understand why anyone thought that would happen.

I think the last play against the falcons torched any chances that Winston would start again.

I said nothing about Winston not signing in Denver, though I don't understand why anyone thought that would happen.
I knew that he would be picked up pretty quick (as he was) but I didn't think he would be going to Denver because I believed that them releasing Russ meant that they were going to try and go young through the draft. Honestly, that was probably still the plan but film, combine, etc probably threw a wrench into all of that. These teams are playing serious hardball with the early picks and the question has to be asked; is he willing to risk the future for a right now pick? I mean, the fact that this move was made a month after free agency and right before the draft should be a tell-tale sign....but who knows.

I think the last play against the falcons torched any chances that Winston would start again.
I don't think people really cared for it as much as we believe that they did. If Watson mess around and get hurt and Winston takes meaningful snaps with that coach in that offensive scheme, he probably has a better chance than most to go for a starting job in 2025. It torched the little weed of a chance to do anything in New Orleans but league wide, more than likely not.

On another note, this has me weak......

My son showed me this saying "ya boy wildin." lol

I knew that he would be picked up pretty quick (as he was) but I didn't think he would be going to Denver because I believed that them releasing Russ meant that they were going to try and go young through the draft. Honestly, that was probably still the plan but film, combine, etc probably threw a wrench into all of that. These teams are playing serious hardball with the early picks and the question has to be asked; is he willing to risk the future for a right now pick? I mean, the fact that this move was made a month after free agency and right before the draft should be a tell-tale sign....but who knows.

I don't think people really cared for it as much as we believe that they did. If Watson mess around and get hurt and Winston takes meaningful snaps with that coach in that offensive scheme, he probably has a better chance than most to go for a starting job in 2025. It torched the little weed of a chance to do anything in New Orleans but league wide, more than likely not.

On another note, this has me weak......

My son showed me this saying "ya boy wildin." lol

Yeah I hear you on those points. The league just flat out doesn't view him as a franchise starting QB at this point and I believe some of that is because it can be difficult to take him seriously. I know many fans and players love the guy, but you can also see in his "motivational" speeches that guys are kinda snickering and wondering what the heck he's talking about sometimes lol. It's just his personality and that's all fun, but I honestly think he's seen a certain way because of it... along with not producing anything close to impressive on the field for years.

At this point, he's a character, above average backup QB and supportive teammate. And that's enough and respectable.

Backup QB is the accurate description, supported by his situation and how teams clearly view him.

If and when he experiences that mid/late career rebound, then we can talk about him being anything else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom