James Hurst retires (2 Viewers)

The Saints must have some level of confidence with last year‘s pick Saldiveri.

And it’s possible Peat comes back as well.

Penning, according to the coaches, is looking better, and I wouldn’t doubt if we see him move to RT.

Add a LT with our pick at 14 and things may not be a desperate as it seems on the surface.

My draft this week would include 3 Olinemen.

I mean Hurst was pretty bad the last two years so it could be addition by subtraction, but it does mean that either some of our depth needs to really step up and/or we need lots of help on the OL in this draft. We really need Saldiveri to earn a starting spot at LG or Penning to learn to play LG while drafting an OT and signing Peat and/or Becton.
Hey, new OC and a new O line. This could be what we need. Everyone wants a rebuild, how about we start with the Oline. Fine with me cause what we had ain't working. Now just hang on to those draft picks. More chances to hit.

I don't think it really matters. I am pretty sure other GM's know what Hurst is about and weren't factoring him into any equations as far as the Saints picks. who knows, it might even be a scare tactic created by Loomis himself.

Nick Saldiveri, come on down. He’s sort of the same player — offers G/OT versatility and probably not magnificent at either. Hopefully he’s ready so we don’t HAVE to focus on guard in the draft.

Best Remaining Offensive Tackle Free Agents, 2024:

Donovan Smith
A.J. Jackson (Rams assigned second-round tender)
David Bakhtiari
D.J. Humphries
Andrus Peat
Mekhi Becton
Jason Peters
Charles Leno
Geron Christian
Chris Hubbard
Billy Turner
Cameron Ervin
Duane Brown
Riley Reiff

Jason Peters is 42 years old but still more than serviceable, but hasn't been healthy for a full season since 2018. Charles Leno played decent last few years in washington, and was a pro-bowler in Chicago. Bakhtiari defended Aaron Rogers blind side since 2013, but has had 5 knee surgeries since 2020. DJ Humpheries was a cap casualty last month but was a solid starter before his ACL tear, but I don't think he will be ready for the start of the season.

Maybe some combination of these talented but recently often injured starter quality tackles on team friendly prove it deals could be used to help bolster our depth after the draft.

I don't think we need to panic about the line, but we absolutely have some work to do.

And if you want to get really down deep, we could even use a center. We don't have a backup to practice with.

Nine total offensive linemen on the roster and one of those may not even be physically able to play.

I'm surprised we didn't just at least sign a couple veterans just to have depth, like we did at linebacker and wide receiver. At this point it's probably best that we don't; that way any top UDFA we like will flock to us.
💯. I'm hopeful Peat may still be back and would love to take a shot on Becton also. Long shots I know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom