James Hurst retires (2 Viewers)

So basically everyone knows they've got Loomis by the balls in the draft when he calls trying to trade up to get an OT.

Neato.

Sort of, but Hurst was really a Guard so I don't think it changes much about OT in the draft. If anything it means that have to sign Peat or Becton for depth if nothing else.

Assuming this is accurate, it's almost funny how much we need guys on the offensive line. Hurst hasn't been good for a year or two, but we just need bodies at this point.
Really every position on the line except center could use addressing. Ruiz is serviceable at RG but that's it. Both tackles and LG are empty at the moment lol.

Enjoy retirement James.

Could be addition by subtraction, but it will mean that we need Saldiveri to step up as a starter this year or draft a starting Guard. That and we just have a lack of bodies on the OL.
This. When you have next to nothing to begin with, losing any of what little you do have is a loss.

So just based on the timing... The team likely told him he wasn't being brought back very recently... Which means they have a plan in place via hand shake deals with FA Lineman after the draft should they not be able to draft a potential starter at 14 or 45 (or both)... Which I think has been the plan all along... so this doesn't change much IMO.

This. When you have next to nothing to begin with, losing any of what little you do have is a loss.

Ruiz looked good two years ago but regressed last year. I have hope that the scheme change and coaching change will get him back to being good. But, sure, they could use an upgrade at every position other than Center.

I doubt Hurst was part of any longterm plans and although this announcement is public, he more likely than not told the FO way before today.

Really every position on the line except center could use addressing. Ruiz is serviceable at RG but that's it. Both tackles and LG are empty at the moment lol.

Enjoy retirement James.
Agree, it's been the case all offseason. I've been enamored with some of the skill guys in round one like other posters here, but I also see the huge void we have up front that needs to be addressed. Kubiak and Carr won't be successful without an improvement in OL play.

So just based on the timing... The team likely told him he wasn't being brought back very recently... Which means they have a plan in place via hand shake deals with FA Lineman after the draft should they not be able to draft a potential starter at 14 or 45 (or both)... Which I think has been the plan all along... so this doesn't change much IMO.

I mean, he was under contract. Seems like it would be a dumb move to tell him that just before the draft so that it looked like they had even more needs on the OL.

But, I agree it likely has no effect on who they take in the draft. They needed to upgrade from him anyway and he wasn't going to play OT except as depth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom