Another drummer appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

For you guys that grew up on the Who, was Moon that great of a drummer or does he get by from his off stage reputation?
Rolling Stone has him ranked #2 all time. That's high appraisal. Once again that said RS has Buddy Rich ranked #15. There are not 14 better drummers than Buddy Rich

For you guys that grew up on the Who, was Moon that great of a drummer or does he get by from his off stage reputation?

Yup, unconventional, but one of the best "fill" drummers of all time....great one, no question....

But the best musician in the Who was John Entwistle, legendary bass player....

You are right. Personal taste is all it boils down too. Ie, Rolling Stone has Buddy Rich ranked as the 15th best drummer. "IMO" only you are not going to convince me 14 drummers were better than Rich.
Yup, those RS lists are clickbait....the guitarist list is even worse....it's a popularity contest mostly with a bit of arrogance mixed in.....

I would take Drumeo's list over Rolling Stone's list. Rolling Stone would be a good benchmark though, but not an authority. To be honest, I'm not to familiar with Buddy Rich, but not gonna argue either way. He looks like he got some chops though.

I was surprised that John Bonham wasn't number one, so Buddy Rich must be something special. Maybe it's because Buddy Rich wasn't a rock drummer, that many pro drummers bypass him for being the best. In any event, John Bonham's elite status has been knocked off a peg, or two. Neil Peart at number two.

Last edited:
I would take Drumeo's list over Rolling Stone's list. Rolling Stone would be a good benchmark though, but not an authority. To be honest, I'm not to familiar with Buddy Rich, but not gonna argue either way. He looks like he got some chops though.

I was surprised that John Bonham wasn't number one, so Buddy Rich must be something special. Maybe it's because Buddy Rich wasn't a rock drummer, that many pro drummers bypass him for being the best. In any event, John Bonham's elite status has been knocked off a peg, or two. Neil Peart at number two.

If you ask any of those drummers who their biggest influence was they would probably say Buddy Rich.....

John Bonham is like the Eric Clapton of drummers to me, not the mind blowing technical ability but the style that influenced countless musicians.....

Neil Peart should be in any top 5......he was incredible.....

If you ask any of those drummers who their biggest influence was they would probably say Buddy Rich.....

John Bonham is like the Eric Clapton of drummers to me, not the mind blowing technical ability but the style that influenced countless musicians.....

Buddy Rich had speed, which I like.

Dave Grohl admits, he is a basic drummer, who can't read music, who ripped off disco bands to create Nevermind. lol I seen an interview, where he says, John Bonham is the greatest rock drummer.

“If you listen to [Nirvana’s epic 1991 album] Nevermind… I pulled so much stuff from the Gap Band and Cameo and [Chic’s] Tony Thompson on every one of those songs,” Grohl says as the instantly recognizable opening guitar riff of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” wells up in the background. And, just before the elephant marauding drums kick in, Grohl starts slapping his thighs in time, saying, “all that [mines drumming]… that’s old disco!”

Dave Grohl's top 5 drummers....

Neil Peart​

Meg White​

John Bonham​

Stewart Copeland​

Ringo Starr​

Grohl's take on Neil Peart....

":Grohl continued, “I still vividly remember my first listen of 2112 when I was young. It was the first time I really listened to a drummer. And since that day, music has never been the same. His power, precision, and composition was incomparable. He was called ‘The Professor’ for a reason: We all learned from him.”"

Neil Pert had a shrine in his home dedicated to Buddy Rich. I'll take his opinion over anyone else.

Fwiw, Bonham was listed #1 by RS.

Dave Grohl's top 5 drummers....

Neil Peart​

Meg White​

John Bonham​

Stewart Copeland​

Ringo Starr​

Interesting.....I'm shocked that Bill Bruford didn't make his top 5, he was a big prog fan, but I guess more of a rock guy after all....

Interesting.....I'm shocked that Bill Bruford didn't make his top 5, he was a big prog fan, but I guess more of a rock guy after all....

Never heard of Bill Ruford. What are some of your favorite songs, done by him?

That's about the second time, I heard someone mentioning Meg White though, just not a fan of the White Stripes, but she probably is worth listening to on drums.

Well...ahh

"Meg White's drumming was loud, raucous and primal"

So, caveman drumming?!?!

Never heard of Bill Ruford. What are some of your favorite songs, done by him?

That's about the second time, I heard someone mentioning Meg White though, just not a fan of the White Stripes, but she probably is worth listening to on drums.

Well...ahh

"Meg White's drumming was loud, raucous and primal"

So, caveman drumming?!?!

You started a drummer thread and you've never heard of Bill Bruford? For shame!!!!!! Just kidding.....

He was Yes's original drummer, then was in King Crimson for years, did the brilliant first UK album (with Wetton, Holdsworth and Jobson) and had his own band for a time (Earthworks)....

He is in my top 5 of drummers, the guy is a technical wiz, incredible chops and great timing....the sound quality isn't great on this song but you can still hear how incredible Bruford is....

You started a drummer thread and you've never heard of Bill Bruford? For shame!!!!!! Just kidding.....

He was Yes's original drummer, then was in King Crimson for years, did the brilliant first UK album (with Wetton, Holdsworth and Jobson) and had his own band for a time (Earthworks)....

He is in my top 5 of drummers, the guy is a technical wiz, incredible chops and great timing....the sound quality isn't great on this song but you can still hear how incredible Bruford is....

Correct! lol

That style throws me, reminds of free for all Jazz. You like the techy stuff!

So, what's your top 5 list?

Mike D. is for Diamond!

Correct! lol

That style throws me, reminds of free for all Jazz. You like the techy stuff!

So, what's your top 5 list?

Just prog/fusion, most definitely jazz influences in there, but the tone is much heavier/darker....

My top 5 would be....

1) Gavin Harrison
2) Bill Bruford
3) Neil Peart
4) Billy Cobham
5) Keith Moon

Buddy Rich is probably the most influential drummer of all time (and likely influenced all on my list) but I haven't heard much of his stuff....

Just prog/fusion, most definitely jazz influences in there, but the tone is much heavier/darker....

My top 5 would be....

1) Gavin Harrison
2) Bill Bruford
3) Neil Peart
4) Billy Cobham
5) Keith Moon

Buddy Rich is probably the most influential drummer of all time (and likely influenced all on my list) but I haven't heard much of his stuff....

Very nice.

You have a top 5 of woman drummers?

After watching Buddy Rich in a few videos, his speed seems underappreciated, because his hits are effortless.

Sort of like Keith Moon, but Moon looks so awkward, but effortless as well.

I can only imagine what he drank and the drugs he took. lol

Buddy Rich lecturing people that simple music is not worth listening... Jazz! Jazz! Jazz! lol

He has a point or two, but it's just one man's opinion.

Tony Thompson, the guy who wrote the drums for Nirvana, Nevermind. lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom