Another drummer appreciation thread (2 Viewers)

I wonder what this dude is up to nowadays, he and the bassist were the best musicians in this vid... Granted, the guitarist in the Technics shirt wasn't too shabby either...

Last edited:
MIchael Shrieve with Santana. Shrieve was the second youngest person to play at Woodstock. He was 19 at the time.

These aren't even the best songs that Michael Shrieve played on with Santana, that's probably "Soul Sacrifice", " Black Magic Woman", *I Hope You're Feeling Better", and "Evil Ways". Santana were probably the last great band to emerge from that epochal, almost mystical musical mid-late 60's S.F. " counterculture " socio-political Haight-Ashbury scene that had produced Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Moby Grape, Country Joe and the Fish, Janis Joplin and Big Brother.

Santana was the last of that era's great bands and fundamentally, their music, texture, layers, even the form of experimental long jams sounded very different from the rest of their predecessors and contemporaries.

Lars!?!?

Don't say anything bad about Metallica in front of this dude, or else! lol

Bill Ward. Paranoid Album!!!! Drumming buffet for the ears!

Some famous musicians, most notably Dave Mustaine (for obvious reasons) have long complained, criticized, or said that Lars isn't a good drummer, maybe decent-to-adequate at best. He's a great, extremely sharp, savvy businessman and to be fair, he's probably responsible for 85-90% of the financial, creative success Metallica has enjoyed and accrued since the mid-late 80's.

Also, Lars has to be credited for essentially keeping Metallica, as a band, together because after Cliff Burton's death, the surviving band members were not in a good mood, James was, reportedly, extremely depressed, they were still deeply mourning Cliff's death, and oh, by the way, they had a Japanese tour scheduled in less a month and they had to hold auditions for a new bassist, which again brought back sad, depressed, very raw memories of Cliff's death. Lars had to sort of become the band'a leader, by default and despite some noted criticisms of him over the years, some of it deserved perhaps, but if he doesn't step up and keep the band together, metal fans never would've gotten And Justice For All, the Black Album, Load and Re-load.

Some famous musicians, most notably Dave Mustaine (for obvious reasons) have long complained, criticized, or said that Lars isn't a good drummer, maybe decent-to-adequate at best. He's a great, extremely sharp, savvy businessman and to be fair, he's probably responsible for 85-90% of the financial, creative success Metallica has enjoyed and accrued since the mid-late 80's.

Also, Lars has to be credited for essentially keeping Metallica, as a band, together because after Cliff Burton's death, the surviving band members were not in a good mood, James was, reportedly, extremely depressed, they were still deeply mourning Cliff's death, and oh, by the way, they had a Japanese tour scheduled in less a month and they had to hold auditions for a new bassist, which again brought back sad, depressed, very raw memories of Cliff's death. Lars had to sort of become the band'a leader, by default and despite some noted criticisms of him over the years, some of it deserved perhaps, but if he doesn't step up and keep the band together, metal fans never would've gotten And Justice For All, the Black Album, Load and Re-load.

Agree! Drummers are important for good rock bands.

I think Lars has really good footwork.

It would be interesting to see Dave Grohl create drum tracks for Metallica, One...Just to compare on contrast.

Drumeo has Dave Grohl at 27, and Lars at 53 for top 100.

Buddy Rich gets the nod for top drummer in the same ranking.

Heard this earlier today. Every time I hear it I ask myself who sounds better? Hendrix on guitar or
Mitch Mitchell on drums

Lars!?!?

Don't say anything bad about Metallica in front of this dude, or else! lol

Bill Ward. Paranoid Album!!!! Drumming buffet for the ears!

Lars isn't really a great technical drummer, he is good at making big dramatic sounds behind the kit but really is not on the same level as a Bill Bruford, Marco Minnemann, Gavin Harrison, or even Mike Portnoy.....

Metallica's music is nothing if not "direct".....and probably why they have so many fans....

Lars isn't really a great technical drummer, he is good at making big dramatic sounds behind the kit but really is not on the same level as a Bill Bruford, Marco Minnemann, Gavin Harrison, or even Mike Portnoy.....

Metallica's music is nothing if not "direct".....and probably why they have so many fans....

I'm not even a big metal fan, kinda sorry I mentioned Lars now. lol Not trying to get into a technical debate. Let's just say, there are two schools of Metal, Metallica and Dream Theater. I would take early Metallica every time. Once again, I'm not a big fan of metal. Every once in awhile I will listen to an old Metallica Album.

Lars own words...

"Asked in a 2008 interview with U.K.'s Rhythm magazine if he was troubled by the fact that he's gotten a lot of flak over the years from people who accused him of being a poor drummer, Lars said: "It used to, back in the day — and I spent a lot of time overcompensating for that on the early records. But then you wake up one day and you're like, whatever. It hasn't bothered me for about 15 years. I'm no Joey Jordison, I'm no Mike Portnoy, and I have nothing but love and respect and admiration for all those guys. When I hear some of the young dudes, they blow my mind with what they can do with their feet and stuff — but it's not something that makes me go, 'I need to feel better about myself so I'm gonna learn how to do what they do with my feet.' I'm not a particularly accomplished drummer but I am very, very, very good at understanding the role of the drums next to James Hetfield's rhythm guitar. I guarantee you I'm the best guy in the world for that, and that's enough for me.""

I remember hearing Undead Snoopy criticizing Ringo Star for lack of technical drumming, but he is still rated pretty high. At number 7.

Personally, I agree with what Lars said,

"I'm not a particularly accomplished drummer but I am very, very, very good at understanding the role of the drums next to James Hetfield's rhythm guitar. I guarantee you I'm the best guy in the world for that, and that's enough for me."

Finding the right drummer for the songs that you are writing is key. Obviously, Metallica has nothing to prove at this point, they could of retired 20 years ago. Lars net worth is estimated at 350 million, so there is enough people that appreciate his drumming skill, to say the least. lol

Last edited:
I'm not even a big metal fan, kinda sorry I mentioned Lars now. lol Not trying to get into a technical debate. Let's just say, there are two schools of Metal, Metallica and Dream Theater. I would take early Metallica every time. Once again, I'm not a big fan of metal. Every once in awhile I will listen to an old Metallica Album.

Lars own words...

"Asked in a 2008 interview with U.K.'s Rhythm magazine if he was troubled by the fact that he's gotten a lot of flak over the years from people who accused him of being a poor drummer, Lars said: "It used to, back in the day — and I spent a lot of time overcompensating for that on the early records. But then you wake up one day and you're like, whatever. It hasn't bothered me for about 15 years. I'm no Joey Jordison, I'm no Mike Portnoy, and I have nothing but love and respect and admiration for all those guys. When I hear some of the young dudes, they blow my mind with what they can do with their feet and stuff — but it's not something that makes me go, 'I need to feel better about myself so I'm gonna learn how to do what they do with my feet.' I'm not a particularly accomplished drummer but I am very, very, very good at understanding the role of the drums next to James Hetfield's rhythm guitar. I guarantee you I'm the best guy in the world for that, and that's enough for me.""

I remember hearing Undead Snoopy criticizing Ringo Star for lack of technical drumming, but he is still rated pretty high. At number 7.

Personally, I agree with what Lars said,

"I'm not a particularly accomplished drummer but I am very, very, very good at understanding the role of the drums next to James Hetfield's rhythm guitar. I guarantee you I'm the best guy in the world for that, and that's enough for me."

Finding the right drummer for the songs that you are writing is key. Obviously, Metallica has nothing to prove at this point, they could of retired 20 years ago. Lars net worth is estimated at 350 million, so there is enough people that appreciate his drumming skill, to say the least. lol

Naw, don't be sorry, always good discussions around music......and I totally agree, Lars is the perfect drummer for Metallica. The music doesn't demand technical ability, just straight ahead hard charging (with some hooks) power.....

I'm the complete opposite, and actually DT early on was as much a prog band as a metal band, the technical ability of the musicians in that band is far advanced from bands like Metallica.....but that doesn't give them the larger audience because most folks just want what they want out of music and that is fine....

I have a friend who mostly played in prog cover bands who played some Metallica with one of the bands and said it was some of the easiest music to learn that he ever played.....

Naw, don't be sorry, always good discussions around music......and I totally agree, Lars is the perfect drummer for Metallica. The music doesn't demand technical ability, just straight ahead hard charging (with some hooks) power.....

I'm the complete opposite, and actually DT early on was as much a prog band as a metal band, the technical ability of the musicians in that band is far advanced from bands like Metallica.....but that doesn't give them the larger audience because most folks just want what they want out of music and that is fine....

I have a friend who mostly played in prog cover bands who played some Metallica with one of the bands and said it was some of the easiest music to learn that he ever played.....

I get the technical side. Rodney Mullen would be the technical skater of the drumming world. The guy is world class without question, but there is another view point to it. Now you see every kid flipping their board trying to copy him, instead of trying to surf skate. Mike Portnoy is your tech guy. I get it, or maybe someone else.

For some reason technical musical fans, fail to see how important the hook is. Maybe rhythm fans fail to acknowledge technical super powers, but that's the beauty of life. People are different, that's why it's about appreciation, rather than arguing who is the best. :)

Other side of the coin you have free ride skateboarders. Just cruising around popping ollies and ridding pools. This would be like your Tre Cool and Dave Grohl drumming comparison.

It's like arguing Rodney Mullen and Christian Hosoi. You may prefer Rodney Mullen technical abilities over Christian Hosoi carving pools, but riding pools is pretty damn cool. On the other side, some may think Rodney Mullen skating style is a little corny, and dorky. Rodney Mullen seems like a really cool dude, but Christian Hosoi is a legend in his own right. On the flip side, maybe some see Christian Hosoi in lacking technical abilities, thus a mediocre rider.

Ask your friend, what the best song he has ever written and recorded? Now compare that to Metallica, One. lol Just saying. I hear many musicians say, so and so isn't that good, I always respond with something like, Dave Grohl was like 20 or 22 when he recorded Nevermind. What did you do at age 22?!?! lol Long pause after that..............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom