Reggie is getting his Heisman back (1 Viewer)

And, you know, sure, before, players were supposedly getting something back (a "free" "education"). Meanwhile, everyone else EXCEPT the athletes were allowed to make money by exploiting the athlete. NIL isn't perfect but at least it's finally acknowledging how messed up it became.
I really disagree with this stance. No one forces people to play sports at college. What do the athletes get? They get an education that I assume very few end up doing anything with. They also valet a stage to display their talents.

I have no issue with athletes making money. I dislike the transfer portal very much. Personally the NFL should just develop a farm system for athletes but then the NFL would be on the hook for injuries so let the colleges take all the risk.

If the punishment was justified then, then it's still justified.

Pete Rose still ain't in the Hall of Fame. It's stupid, but it's true.
Last I checked, baseball players gambling on baseball was still against the rules, so the Pete Rose thing kinda don't work. If the NCAA wasn't so stupid in their approach to everyone benefiting from the players except the players themselves, these situations never would have happened AND we would have this NIL mess that we are in now.

The Heisman Trust did the right thing..

I really disagree with this stance. No one forces people to play sports at college. What do the athletes get? They get an education that I assume very few end up doing anything with. They also valet a stage to display their talents.

I have no issue with athletes making money. I dislike the transfer portal very much. Personally the NFL should just develop a farm system for athletes but then the NFL would be on the hook for injuries so let the colleges take all the risk.

Every other person going to college even those on an academic scholarship are allowed to earn money.

he or his family benefitted from playing at usc. basically, NIL.
If Reggie and his family did benefit(which i dont think was ever proven) he got nothing close to what he could have made through NIL. He would have easily made over 10 million dollars in the current structure.

Last I checked, baseball players gambling on baseball was still against the rules, so the Pete Rose thing kinda don't work. If the NCAA wasn't so stupid in their approach to everyone benefiting from the players except the players themselves, these situations never would have happened AND we would have this NIL mess that we are in now.

The Heisman Trust did the right thing..
This just makes so much sense and you are right. The farce that was the ncaa protecting ametuer athletics is what has led to the current debacle.

Long overdue. Not that what is being done now makes what was done than any less against the rules and therefore 'wrong,' but as I said at the time they probably needed to take back nearly every Heisman awarded if they'd taken the time to look into the dealings of all the winners. Basically every University in the United States was pulling the same under the table deals, so it was always just virtue signaling to take away only Reggie's.

Reggie filed a defamation lawsuit against the NCAA last year. They never did a proper investigation. Reggie has spoken about this for over a year now openly.

He gave the Heisman back and moved on with his life after they said they wanted it back on a conference call lol.

He decided to set the record straight and clear his name. Nothing to do with NIL at all.

Once he opened pandora box, do the math. Lazy, Terrible investigation, basically gossip, big name and a family situation they moved in a house provided by a friend of the family. Convicted felon want to be sports agents tried to black male and sue the family..etc for money. Complete mess.

Had this been investigated properly from the start and not rushed for publicity and headlines, this would have been a nothing burger.

Once he filed that lawsuit it was just a matter of time. I hope he keeps the case open and burns them all.

I SAID they get an education. BUT then it became a whole lot of other people banking on the athletes' image and popularity. If you really read what I am saying, I don't think we disagree. As I said, NIL isn't going to be perfect; but at least it lets a player "own" his own likeness.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom