Just found the next Saints quarterback (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I thought he'd be a 3rd round pick at worst... And since we didn't have a pick until the 5th, and we were not taking him in the 2nd.... I didn't think we'd have a shot at him.... My dad is an OU fan, and I watch a ton of OU and SEC games... I made it clear last year... I liked the kid then... and I like him now.... I think he sticks and has a real chance to be our QB of the future. He has the tools and balls.

Everyone talks about how bad his o-line played in 2022, and that's true, but his O coordinator was horrible. Route concepts vs defensive schemes were terrible...way worse than PC.

I always said that any NFL level QB can look great when they are protected and have time. I've yet to see any QB, at any level, look good with no protection. Mahomes comes closest to making that exception.

The guy is a talented QB, I still do not know what the issue people have with him outside of perception, its Jamies Winston all over again, people hated him when he was a Buc and when he became a Saints player all of a sudden people so his "growth".

Everyone talks about how bad his o-line played in 2022, and that's true, but his O coordinator was horrible. Route concepts vs defensive schemes were terrible...way worse than PC.

I always said that any NFL level QB can look great when they are protected and have time. I've yet to see any QB, at any level, look good with no protection. Mahomes comes closest to making that exception.
The terrible playcalling was noticeable

This is a really interesting point. A lot of the top QBs come into the league after playing behind quality O lines and pass catchers. USC QBs like Leinhart, Sanchez, and Darnold come to mind. They are given all day to throw to quality pass catchers so of course they're going to look great. Then you have QBs who just had to make due with what they had and make the most of it. The talent is there but it's going to be inconsistent due to dodgy pass protection and/or pass catchers.

This is one of the big reasons why it's so hard to evaluate QBs. I have no idea how good Rattler will be. Nobody does. All I know is that he has the talent and he's gamer. One of those scrappy QBs who isn't afraid to mix it up. Yes he's cocky and confident but this has been seen as a positive for a lot of QBs. A lot of people loved Baker Mayfield because he was so scrappy. Same with Joe Burrow. But when it comes to Rattler people just can't even. All goes back to that Netflix show. Rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. It was not a great look but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I played with guys like that in high school. It's not ideal but he's hardly the first cocky, talented, tool bag high school QB. Hell a lot of high school QBs act like that and they aren't even that talented. Give me a tool bag who can play over a class act with a noodle arm every day.

Rattler > Ian Book
I don't disagree, but I wouldn't even say I'm convinced Rattler is the "tool bag" that is portrayed in that show. Every interview I've seen of Rattler this draft process shows a guy that has clearly appears to have matured. He is confident, but accountable. Seems respectful and even a good teammate now. Everything I've heard is that he was well liked at South Carolina by the coaches and his teammates. I get the feeling that the show QB1 (a reality show) wanted to see some "drama" from the team. Or at the very least, these teenage kids felt the need to add "drama" since they were on a reality show. It's dumb, but I don't put much stock in it. Especially given how long ago it was.

I never saw this thread until now. Kudo's to OP!

It took a couple years, and it was a 5th rounder instead of day 1 or day 2. But I really do like this pick.

I see Rattler as a potential franchise QB, gotten at lost cost, in the perfect situation to develop behind a starter. Many highly drafted QB's don't get that luxury. It's perfect.

I don't disagree, but I wouldn't even say I'm convinced Rattler is the "tool bag" that is portrayed in that show. Every interview I've seen of Rattler this draft process shows a guy that has clearly appears to have matured. He is confident, but accountable. Seems respectful and even a good teammate now. Everything I've heard is that he was well liked at South Carolina by the coaches and his teammates. I get the feeling that the show QB1 (a reality show) wanted to see some "drama" from the team. Or at the very least, these teenage kids felt the need to add "drama" since they were on a reality show. It's dumb, but I don't put much stock in it. Especially given how long ago it was.
Oh no, I was talking about just in high school. He seems much more mature in everything I've seen since then. And by the way, the infamous clip of him being a bad teammate seemed like just some kids busting each other's chops more than anything. To me at least. It looked bad but I don't know if it was as sinister as it was made out to be. Regardless, he was just a kid. He's a grown man now and Shane Beamer gushes about him. You can tell when a coach is just trying to say the right thing and when they genuinely love one of their players.

Op got him some crystal balls around the house. Nice job haha

• 1Like
Reactions: LoE

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom