NFL Draft No HBCU players taken in the ‘24 NFL Draft (1 Viewer)

It's ridiculous. NFL talent will be drafted or signed no matter where you are. Why didn't he point out that no players from La. Tech, ULM, Northwestern State, McNeese...................weren't drafted either? Should we be surprised?
Woah…. Why did you leave the best Louisiana University off your list? Southeastern Louisiana University… Lion up!

i mean wasn't this the impetus? wasn't it mormon missionaries that started this process - i'm vaguely remembering a mormon affliiated HS in texas that was a major landing spot for polynesian talent
Yeah, BYU and the church opened schools on a lot of the larger islands in the pacific, and with that the kids at those schools leaned towards going to BYU, U of U, and Ricks College. Now every college from Washington to Florida has someone recruiting out of these islands.

The world really is flat.

We went to a HS championship in Jerry world several years ago and I can’t remember what team it was, one of the suburban HEB teams, Ifrc, but I think their entire offensive and defensive line were Polynesian. They even used to do a little Polynesian celebratory dance.
Yeah, that piece of Dallas (?) has the highest density of Polynesians outside of the islands.

The dance is the Haka. It’s a beautiful thing. My friend’s grandfather passed away a few years back, and during his life he had a major impact on agriculture on several islands (taught them more effective ways to farm on their small patches of land). At his funeral about 100+ islanders performed a haka for him. It was amazing.

Last edited:
How would be proof of anything!
My point is, why complain blindly? Who was overlooked that was such a clear cut draftable NFL player? Some seem to be making it sound like there was some nefarious plot by the NFL to exclude HBCU players.

Grambling had a linebacker that I thought might get drafted … solid pass rusher … the Seahawks didn’t waste anytime signing him soon after the draft ended —Sundiata Anderson

Last edited:
2 HBCU players were drafted late round in the last 2 years. Edge James Houston by the Lions in 2022 and DB Isaiah Bolden by the Pats in 2023. A lot of HBCU players were immediately signed in UDFA along with rookie minicamp invites so they weren’t completely ignored.

HBCUs have a ton of draft worthy talent. Their statistical production isn’t up to par enough to get noticed and prioritized as much. Competition level of opponents is also a factor. The top QBs have great TD/ints ratios and aren’t turning the ball over much but they aren’t producing a lot of yards above late 2k compared to major college drafted QBs. Same at RB and WRs; many prospects are well below 1k yards. That mostly falls on their coaches for not feeding them enough touches. The HBCU leading rusher LaDarius Owens rushed for almost 1400 but didn’t have much receiving production. A lot of prospects are really talented in-game players but didn’t have the combine #s that NFL teams are looking for to draft.

Last edited:
My point is, why complain blindly? Who was overlooked that was such a clear cut draftable NFL player? Some seem to be making it sound like there was some nefarious plot by the NFL to exclude HBCU players.
I mean for years we had the conspiracy theory that the Saints refused to draft LSU players
Conclusions reached might be wacky, but the question, “is it a little weird that…??” seems valid

“IF” you would’ve clearly read the original post that I responded to, @Boy_of_wonder75 clearly stated that he does NOT believe that there was anything nefarious, but it seemed odd. I agreed with him…..HENCE I do not think that anything nefarious happened. I asked how was the HBCU talent pool not good enough for not 1 player getting drafted. That is not complaining. It’s asking a valid question. So, why go awol blindly?

I mean for years we had the conspiracy theory that the Saints refused to draft LSU players
Conclusions reached might be wacky, but the question, “is it a little weird that…??” seems valid
Apples and oranges.

LSU had a plethora of players worth drafting throughout that period worthy of being drafted and even that fit needs.

The part about "without using google" is a bit unfair because few people know guys going in the later rounds but the "is there anyone who really got snubbed" question is fair. It's line when people complain about a random NBA star not getting into the All-Star game and at first glance you say "yeah, that guy should have made it" but then someone says "well who made the All-Star game that you think doesn't deserve it?" and you peruse the rosters and realize the other guys deserved the nod, too.

I agree 1000%. How was the HBCU pool not good enough to have at least 1 draftee? Not even 1 lone pick!?!?
I don't tthink its anything other than statistics and I'd love to see the numbers on HBCU players the left HBCU through the transfer portal. I'd wager that they are being used as farm clubs for power 5 conferences. if they a\re really good why would they stay at an HBCU when Bama or Ohio State come calling?

I don't tthink its anything other than statistics and I'd love to see the numbers on HBCU players the left HBCU through the transfer portal. I'd wager that they are being used as farm clubs for power 5 conferences. if they a\re really good why would they stay at an HBCU when Bama or Ohio State come calling?
Yup, I’d bet a pretty penny on that being the case as well.

Kids that are performing well in HBCU athletics as underclassmen being offered bigger sums of NIL money and transferring to Power 5’s for their junior and senior years before reaching draft eligibility.

The Sanders boys and all the Jackson State players that followed Deion to Colorado fall into this category.

The draft was preceded by the HBCU Legacy bowl, which showcased many promising players from various HBCU’s

The article alludes to the need for the NFL to do more.

IMO, if the talent was there, they’d be drafted. Even though it was zero in ‘24, next year it may be 5 or 6.

:gosaints:
My sons played baseball for HBCU schools here in Louisiana and their problem is that most of them are stuck in the "Past."

Only Jacksonville State and Alabama State are HBCU schools that I know of that have a diverse student body and are in Conference's with non HBCU Schools.

The SWAC should have joined with the Southland Conference years ago but these schools refuse to change and only want to live in the past...

Most kids of today regardless of race want to play at a school that offer the best competition and the best chance to succeed.

Last edited:
Yup, I’d bet a pretty penny on that being the case as well.

Kids that are performing well in HBCU athletics as underclassmen being offered bigger sums of NIL money and transferring to Power 5’s for their junior and senior years before reaching draft eligibility.

The Sanders boys and all the Jackson State players that followed Deion to Colorado fall into this category.
This is a result of the leniency of the transfer rules and the transfer portal system.
This is a problem for all FSC schools.

This--- I think they're being drafted before the draft

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom