NFL Draft No HBCU players taken in the ‘24 NFL Draft (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
It's ridiculous. NFL talent will be drafted or signed no matter where you are. Why didn't he point out that no players from La. Tech, ULM, Northwestern State, McNeese...................weren't drafted either? Should we be surprised?

I'm proud that the Saints hosted the HBCU combine. I think we are doing our due diligence.

Heck, once I saw the Saints sign a guy from Assumption (Harris/Harty), I became pretty convinced that they are turning over every rock looking for talent.

Disclaimer X two:
I am a fitness junkie. My ex wife is Hawaiian.
My trips to Hawaii, I witnessed some amazing things to say the least. None more than going to beaches and watching fitness coaches train people. Saw kids, teenagers, young adults, and older adults partake in some very serious activities. These coaches had these folks hauling ocean water in two buckets, hanging from a stick all over the beach. Sand sprints by pulling larger attendees, carrying another person on their shoulder through the sand. Bear crawls with someone on their backs. Swimming against the current. Capped off by rowing in those canoe type things they have, etc. It was like an intense CrossFit class but more intense and on the beach. I asked the coaches how often do they train per week. He responded with “everyday”. Asked them some other questions like how young do they start out?, how long are the training sessions?, what time do they start in the morning?, etc. Needless to say, I now know why that culture are Beastmode. Not to mention that they are very family centered. Give me a team of them and I would be happy

At any one time, just over 16,000 players are draft-eligible, which is only 1.6% of the college player pool. And even then, only 259 players will be drafted. That is a minuscule 0.016% of the draft-eligible NCAA pool. HBCU's, as far as I know, all fall into FCS or less which in and off itself is a lower quality of competition. It's very simply statistically nearly impossible for a HBCU player to get drafted. IMO they are auditioning more for CFL or United Football League (UFL).

Edit: Also, Michael Lewis (freaking beer truck driver) would like a word.

It does seem odd that not a SINGLE player in the entirety of the HBCU system was worth a draft selection to a team. Not claiming that there is anything nefarious going on, just agree that it's weird.
I agree 1000%. How was the HBCU pool not good enough to have at least 1 draftee? Not even 1 lone pick!?!?

Well, to be fair, if a stud freshman ends up at an HCBU and blows the roof off, he is likely chasing NIL money the next year. Same for good players in the mid-majors. If they are NFL caliber, somebody is going to recognize it long before they are draft eligible. I don't like it, but its the world we live in.

BYU had an amazing football program when they were the only team recruiting kids from the islands. Now…the gig is up, and they are at the bottom of the pecking order.
i mean wasn't this the impetus? wasn't it mormon missionaries that started this process - i'm vaguely remembering a mormon affliiated HS in texas that was a major landing spot for polynesian talent

i mean wasn't this the impetus? wasn't it mormon missionaries that started this process - i'm vaguely remembering a mormon affliiated HS in texas that was a major landing spot for polynesian talent
We went to a HS championship in Jerry world several years ago and I can’t remember what team it was, one of the suburban HEB teams, Ifrc, but I think their entire offensive and defensive line were Polynesian. They even used to do a little Polynesian celebratory dance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom