NFL Draft No HBCU players taken in the ‘24 NFL Draft (2 Viewers)

I fail to understand why any coach, scout or exec should "pound the table for HBCU players" just because they're HBCU... as if they aren't sufficiently represented in the NFL. These staffs are pounding the table for players they believe in so they can keep their jobs. Come on man.

The draft was preceded by the HBCU Legacy bowl, which showcased many promising players from various HBCU’s

The article alludes to the need for the NFL to do more.

IMO, if the talent was there, they’d be drafted. Even though it was zero in ‘24, next year it may be 5 or 6.

:gosaints:

There are 257 picks in the NFL draft

There is roughly 800-900 colleges that field a football team

In a addition you have some universities that have a multiple players go in the rounds

There were like 12 power conference teams that didn't have a player selected at all

So yeah , I would figure it is hard for HBCU player to get picked.

Teams have limited picks and many options and they're going to look for the best players available. They're not thinking," oh I better get a HBCU player "

They are thinking " I need a player at this position and all my time studying, money, effort says to choose this guy from another university.

This is just clickbait article to try a stir up BS.

I dont think that it's "They aren't worthy" or "It must be a black thing". It is like several have already said. It's the current state of college football. Just look at Colorado. How many of those kids were with Deon last year at the HBU. Some were or will be drafted. Do they count in the mix of HBU students drafted? If not they should be. You are seeing kids plucked from lower Division schools with NIL deals and the new transfer rules. Hell you are seeing it from larger schools (Bama, LSU, ND, Texas, etc.). For better or worse the new college system has created a free agency like no other. All a kid has to do is catch a scout or coaches eye and they will be plucked and paid.

Doug Williams is implying, without directly trying to offend the NCAA, that college football at HBCU schools is suffering. The HBCU Greek life, along with the athletic programs, are very important for cultural identity of a large group of people in the United States. The HBCU football teams have become endangered by the NCAA transfer portal.
Going forward the most talented student athletes at HBCUs are going to have to choose between remaining at a university that can provide unmatched education, self-esteem, and social connections, or transferring to a university with BCS prominence to better showcase their talent and strive for financial security in the NFL someday.

He’s a strong advocate for the HBCU Legacy bowl, and those students that choose to spend their careers in these programs as he did at Grambling, but the current NCAA transfer portal is marginalizing that important sports outlet for these black student athletes at HBCUs.
Yeah I don't think the problem here is with the NFL, it's the NCAA and the free for all college football has become. Trust me I never miss a chance to take shots at the NFL but it's hard for me to see any shady business going on here. It's just a bad time to be a small school in cfb right now. Not just HBCUs but in general. It has to be frustrating to sign a kid, coach him up, only to watch him leave as soon as possible.

Yeah I don't think the problem here is with the NFL, it's the NCAA and the free for all college football has become. Trust me I never miss a chance to take shots at the NFL but it's hard for me to see any shady business going on here. It's just a bad time to be a small school in cfb right now. Not just HBCUs but in general. It has to be frustrating to sign a kid, coach him up, only to watch him leave as soon as possible.
I think this is more true than most realize. HBCUs, like so many other universities, have lost scores of talented players to the “free agent” system that is now college football via NILs and the transfer portal.

I’d be curious to see the number of players that have transferred out of HBCUs since 2020 and were later drafted.

Very few players with potential next-level talent are sticking around at smaller schools when the portal allows them to prove themselves and immediately move along to a team in a big conference with a national TV deal - thus increasing exposure and their draft stock.

I think this is more true than most realize. HBCUs, like so many other universities, have lost scores of talented players to the “free agent” system that is now college football via NILs and the transfer portal.

I’d be curious to see the number of players that have transferred out of HBCUs since 2020 and were later drafted.

Very few players with potential next-level talent are sticking around at smaller schools when the portal allows them to prove themselves and immediately move along to a team in a big conference with a national TV deal - thus increasing exposure and their draft stock.
Not to mention the walking around money big schools use to entice players to transfer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom