I've watched 5 of Rattlers games, here's what I think. (1 Viewer)

Oh. And thanks for the breakdown EJW. I saw the same things you are seeing with him, and we agree on a lot of things about his game.

I pointed quite a few of these things out last year after the Tennessee game, and said then he was a draftable player with QB 1 Pro style upside.

I had him as a late 2nd or 3rd rounder last year. To get him in the 5th was kind of surprising to me. I thought he was as talented as anyone in this draft not named Williams or Daniels. I think if the bottom doesn’t fall out. He has a legit chance to be the 2 this year, and a starter the following year. I like Jake too…. But I don’t see him beating out Spencer in a Pro Style Kubiak offense.

Also. Go back and watch the Tenn game. Lol

The problem with Haener is his low release point on his throws.
Rattler's release point is a lot like Drew Breese which really helps out a 6' QB....

It is also the reason Rattler has a much stronger arm and quicker release.

To your original response; wouldn't he have a more favorable path to the draft if he stayed in a less competitive conference?

My point was that his surrounding talent at SC was poor in relation to his competition in the conference. I think if he had better talent around him, he’d have performed better. He committed to the wrong school(s).

If Rattler was the starting QB for Bama, his stats would be much better and he'd be a first round QB.

His team did indeed stink. Tough eval.

I'm not so sure that is a good thing.....Bama QB's, regardless of draft position, tend not to do so well in the NFL.....

I hope he works out.....

Florida
Georgia
Missouri
Clemson
North Carolina

Whomever is the #3 is probably the guy running the scout team too. I don't see any reason to have either on the team if you keep 3 unless you want another developmental and in that case I'd take Mond.

Russell always was an off schedule QB. Rattler is not, he just played off schedule a lot due to bad playcalling, play design, scheme, and injuries to Oline. He can get the ball out at the top of his drops and on time when afforded the time, it just wasn't that easy.

A lot of times, you'll look at him and see he's bailing like a few seconds after the snap. Then you see the all 22 and you realize it was because the play-call had max protect and there were only three routes being run. Meanwhile the defense rushed 3 and dropped 8.

Don't think that'll happen and I think with some wins and a playoff appearance you'll warm up on Allen.
You didn't cut him any slack!

Terrific Evaluation!

This seems relevant to the thread...

2PKmJjN.png

Source:

This seems relevant to the thread...

2PKmJjN.png

Source:

Having a bad o line in college is sort of a blessing in disguise for Rattler. It limited his stats, but he will be so much better prepared for NFL defenses because it sped up his clock a little.

Like the guy mentions in the video, Penix had a great o-line. When he was pressured, he struggled. Also Penix had 3 NFL receivers to throw to and didn’t have to face SEC defenses.

WHOA...there cowboy, you're getting way ahead of yourself.
Let's watch and learn.
How? I said “IF”. Everyone is saying it’s between them two for backup QB I’m just asking what do we do IF he wins the competition? We aren’t keeping 4 or 5 QBs. You have to assume that peterman is at the bottom of the list and his chances of making the team are slim. Carr is a lock. Whoever wins the back up spot (Haener or Rattler) is a lock. That means it’s really between Mond and whoever loses the backup competition for the third and final roster spot.

Having a bad o line in college is sort of a blessing in disguise for Rattler. It limited his stats, but he will be so much better prepared for NFL defenses because it sped up his clock a little.

Like the guy mentions in the video, Penix had a great o-line. When he was pressured, he struggled. Also Penix had 3 NFL receivers to throw to and didn’t have to face SEC defenses.
But when Rattler was pressured, he struggled too. Crap, all QBs struggle when they face legit pressure. Penix got downplayed a lot this season because he didn't play off-schedule as much as everyone else. What people ignore in that is more often that not, he was making the right read quicker than most. That's why in terms of pure quarterbacking, he was rated so high.

And why is throwing to 3 NFL WR a knock when it wasn't in the 2020 draft? Plus SEC defenses have been overrated for YEARS. Crap, we are and have always been top heavy.

I do agree that playing with that bad line might have been a blessing because we might not have seen him playing at his best. Can't wait to see what he does in pre-season games. If training camp reporting is like it has been the past few seasons, the games will tell the truth about everything we need to know.

Someone needs to do a mockup of some rattlesnake/New Orleans themed logos

And why is throwing to 3 NFL WR a knock when it wasn't in the 2020 draft? Plus SEC defenses have been overrated for YEARS. Crap, we are and have always been top heavy.
Have to disagree with you about the SEC. Also Rattler had to play against Clemson in a rivalry game too. SEC road games and on the road at Clemson? Those are some of the toughest environments to play in. Now you look at Penix’s game log and outside of one or two teams, the schedule is an absolute joke.

Have to disagree with you about the SEC. Also Rattler had to play against Clemson in a rivalry game too. SEC road games and on the road at Clemson? Those are some of the toughest environments to play in. Now you look at Penix’s game log and outside of one or two teams, the schedule is an absolute joke.

Life long Auburn fan who watched us give it up to New Mexico State..lol. The SEC has always been a top heavy conference whose reputation rode that wave who will always get that strength of schedule bump because they will overrate some of our teams going into the season..lol. And at the end of the day, they still faced the same amount of ranked teams during the regular season.

Life long Auburn fan who watched us give it up to New Mexico State..lol. The SEC has always been a top heavy conference whose reputation rode that wave who will always get that strength of schedule bump because they will overrate some of our teams going into the season..lol. And at the end of the day, they still faced the same amount of ranked teams during the regular season.
Overrated? Maybe. Comparable to a pac 12 schedule? Heck no.

You know when you’re facing an SEC team, there are going to be a lot of good athletes especially on the line which makes it a long day for a team like South Carolina who had problems up front. In the pac 12 , some games are played in almost half empty stadiums, and the opposing defense might have one guy who can play in the NFL. It’s totally different.

There's never been a thread about one Saints QB that people didn't also talked about other QB's. The post that started this thread mentions Haener, so I don't see your point.

I do see the point of the other person. Haener likely would have also had a better college career if he was the Alabama starter and probably would have be drafted in the first or second round.

Two young QB's with starting potential is a good thing for the Saints, isn't it?

Or are we just going go ahead and fire up a Rattler vs Haener fued right off the bat to replace the Winston vs Carr fued which repalced the Winston vs Hill which, after a very long hiatus due to Brees, replaced the Brooks vs Delhomme feud?

Maybe but Haener doesn't have close to the physical talent that Rattler has. Maybe he can make up for that with film study and game knowledge but nobody said the same things about Haener that people say about Rattler. Nobody ever suggested that Haener would one day be the #1 pick in the draft and nobody projected him to be picked in the 2nd round.

I think Haener has some attributes that could work well in the new system, but Rattler is clearly the guy with the much higher ceiling and more talent. Rattler also probably has the lower floor, but the two really aren't all that similar.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if people have a man crush on Haener or Rattler, in the end we will get to see them fight for a spot on the depth chart in training camp and on the field. It can't be anything but good to have competition for both of them.

Maybe but Haener doesn't have close to the physical talent that Rattler has. Maybe he can make up for that with film study and game knowledge but nobody said the same things about Haener that people say about Rattler. Nobody ever suggested that Haener would one day be the #1 pick in the draft and nobody projected him to be picked in the 2nd round.

I think Haener has some attributes that could work well in the new system, but Rattler is clearly the guy with the much higher ceiling and more talent. Rattler also probably has the lower floor, but the two really aren't all that similar.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if people have a man crush on Haener or Rattler, in the end we will get to see them fight for a spot on the depth chart in training camp and on the field. It can't be anything but good to have competition for both of them.

I think Haener has a ceiling of a backup; we would have been elated just to see him win the #2 spot. Rattlers floor is Haener's ceiling. We already see him competing for a backup spot as a rookie. It wasn't expected or alluded to for Haener in his rookie season.

In fact, even if Jameis were still on the team, I'd say Rattler would immediately be in the running for competing with Winston for the #2 Job as a rookie.

In fact, even if Jameis were still on the team, I'd say Rattler would immediately be in the running for competing with Winston for the #2 Job as a rookie.
That’s the thing I’ve been thinking about too. If Carr were to get injured next season, would I feel better about Rattler coming in than I would about Winston? I think I’d feel better about Rattler. At least there would be some excitement whereas with Jameis, for me it was more anxiety than excitement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom