Is Bub Means A Fit For The Deebo Samuel Role In The Kubiak Offense? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Bub Means is built similar to Deebo Samuel and has better measurables in almost all categories. Take a look at their comparable RAS scores below:

https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=17680&p2=17040&piece of work=WR

1714482139601.png

Means began his college career as a defensive back at Tennessee before transferring to La. Tech where he transitioned to a WR and then transferred to Pitt where he had his best year in 2023 and that was with subpar QB play.

From an article by LancasterOnline.Com, Jerry DiPaola, Author

"When Bub first walked in (after transferring from Louisiana Tech), I knew there was something about him," Devonshire said at Pitt's pro day. "He's special. To be that big (6-foot-1 1/4, 227 pounds), moving that well, running those types of routes, you don't see that often.

"Anybody who didn't believe it, it's definitely real. It's not fake. It's the real deal."

ESPN's Lou Riddick has watched Means in person during games and in practice at Pitt.

"Big, strong, physical, he is a third-level winner as far as his ability to beat you deep," Riddick said. "When you get guys like this who are also guys who want to be good, want to be great and you get them in the fifth round like (Means) and (quarterback) Spencer Rattler, who have something to prove, you're doing great work as a scouting department."

Highlights show ability to take the top off, contested catches, willingness to go over the middle.

What we haven't seen is the ability to line up in the backfield and take handoffs running the football. Can he do that?

Last edited:
I'm hesitant to compare any rookie (especially a 5th round pick) to one of the most unique weapons we've seen in the modern game. So instead of comparing him to Deebo Samuel I think it would be more fair to compare him to another rookie, Xavier Leggette. Both guys are big, well built, athletic WRs with only one year of production in college. Both players are seen as limited at this point in terms of polish. They aren't going to walk into the league running a full route tree. Means is a raw deep threat and Leggette is a raw get the ball in his hands and he'll do the rest playmaker.

But what I've thought about Leggette holds true for Bub, if they keep it simple at first and just ask them to do what they do best, they could have an impact. Obviously these two players have different skillsets but the Panthers used a 1st round pick on Leggette. The Saints used a 5th round pick on Means. That seems like a pretty good value I guess. I don't know where Means fits in the offense but I don't know where Leggette would've fit either. I just wanted an athletic playmaker. Hopefully Means is that guy. If he's not then oh well, no harm done. Just another 5th round pick that didn't work out.

Bub Means is built similar to Deebo Samuel and has better measurables in almost all categories. Take a look at their comparable RAS scores below:

1714482139601.png

Means began his college career as a defensive back at Tennessee before transferring to La. Tech where he transitioned to a WR and then transferred to Pitt where he had his best year in 2023 and that was with subpar QB play.

"When Bub first walked in (after transferring from Louisiana Tech), I knew there was something about him," Devonshire said at Pitt's pro day. "He's special. To be that big (6-foot-1 1/4, 227 pounds), moving that well, running those types of routes, you don't see that often.

"Anybody who didn't believe it, it's definitely real. It's not fake. It's the real deal."

ESPN's Lou Riddick has watched Means in person during games and in practice at Pitt.

"Big, strong, physical, he is a third-level winner as far as his ability to beat you deep," Riddick said. "When you get guys like this who are also guys who want to be good, want to be great and you get them in the fifth round like (Means) and (quarterback) Spencer Rattler, who have something to prove, you're doing great work as a scouting department."

Highlights show ability to take the top off, contested catches, willingness to go over the middle.

What we haven't seen is the ability to line up in the backfield and take handoffs running the football. Can he do that?

Deebo is a very special player, i'll be honest I dont know much a bout Bub Means, but Deebo is special because of his ability be an efficient receiver and an above average RB at spot duty. Deebo Versatility is what made him great imo. If Bub never ran the ball then he's a WR and thats nothing wrong I just dont see the comparison. Percy Harvin is one of the few players i can remember that had the skill of Deebo

1714482139601.png

Looks like he still hasn’t finished the 3 cones drill; red flag.

I'm hesitant to compare any rookie (especially a 5th round pick) to one of the most unique weapons we've seen in the modern game. So instead of comparing him to Deebo Samuel I think it would be more fair to compare him to another rookie, Xavier Leggette. Both guys are big, well built, athletic WRs with only one year of production in college. Both players are seen as limited at this point in terms of polish. They aren't going to walk into the league running a full route tree. Means is a raw deep threat and Leggette is a raw get the ball in his hands and he'll do the rest playmaker.

But what I've thought about Leggette holds true for Bub, if they keep it simple at first and just ask them to do what they do best, they could have an impact. Obviously these two players have different skillsets but the Panthers used a 1st round pick on Leggette. The Saints used a 5th round pick on Means. That seems like a pretty good value I guess. I don't know where Means fits in the offense but I don't know where Leggette would've fit either. I just wanted an athletic playmaker. Hopefully Means is that guy. If he's not then oh well, no harm done. Just another 5th round pick that didn't work out.

While I agree that Means is a 5th Round Rookie Draft Choice that hasn't made the team yet, his measurables in the RAS are almost identical to those of Deebo Samuel.

I pose the question in the thread title because the Saints new OC is Klint Kubiak, who most likely will bring many elements of the 49ers Shanahan system to New Orleans.

Means is more than a raw deep threat. His highlights show a number of different routes he excelled at, especially crossing patterns over the middle.

Deebo is a very special player, i'll be honest I dont know much a bout Bub Means, but Deebo is special because of his ability be an efficient receiver and an above average RB at spot duty. Deebo Versatility is what made him great imo. If Bub never ran the ball then he's a WR and thats nothing wrong I just dont see the comparison. Percy Harvin is one of the few players i can remember that had the skill of Deebo
I believe in Deebo's latest contract extension there was tacit agreement (unwritten) that he would line up at RB a lot less, and at WR a lot more. That was Deebo's price for signing the contract.

Are we running the Shanahan offense from his one season there , the Denver offense when Kubiak was there or the one from his time in Minnesota?
We don't know yet. One of the members posted an article stating that most of the Shanahan's coaches start with the run first followed by playaction. It's going to be a wait and see approach.

He has to make the team first.
Exactly. A few years ago we saw Kirk Meritt come out and compare himself to Deebo. That experiment didn't last long at all.

More so we've seen players have a good preseason and end up on the waiver wire or practice squad.

So yes the player does has to the make the team first, and then avoid the all-might inactive list.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom