Kool Aid McKinstry: How do you like the pick? (1 Viewer)

The New Orleans Saints draft Kool Aid: How do you like the pick?

• Love it

Votes: 218 43.7%
  • Like it

Votes: 164 32.9%
  • Meh

Votes: 61 12.2%
  • Hate it

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Too soon to tell

Votes: 35 7.0%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 14 2.8%

• Total voters
Lattimore will be 28 years old this season... He's realistically under contract until 2026 (29/30 years old), but his dead cap # decreases a ton after this season is over (Saints can save 18-20 Million by cutting or trading him after next year Post June1)...

This pick is Lattimore's replacement a year early...
Drafting a replacement the year before the original player's end of contract (or in this case, cut/trade) is usually good business. Or at least good leverage.

Lattimore will be 28 years old this season... He's realistically under contract until 2026 (29/30 years old), but his dead cap # decreases a ton after this season is over (Saints can save 18-20 Million by cutting or trading him after next year Post June1)...

This pick is Lattimore's replacement a year early...

That's one way to see it. I've toyed mentally with a potential trade of Lattimore happening mid-season depending on how things are going.

I don't know that he's specifically Lattimore's replacement either, he ceiling/floor gives me slot vibes with slight potential for low end #2. That's a lot of weight to put on a 2nd rounder as a replacement for a former rookie of the year and multi time pro-bowler.

It's more likely that if we do move on from Lattimore, Alontae Taylor will take his place on the outside.

That's one way to see it. I've toyed mentally with a potential trade of Lattimore happening mid-season depending on how things are going.

I don't know that he's specifically Lattimore's replacement either, he ceiling/floor gives me slot vibes with slight potential for low end #2. That's a lot of weight to put on a 2nd rounder as a replacement for a former rookie of the year and multi time pro-bowler.

It's more likely that if we do move on from Lattimore, Alontae Taylor will take his place on the outside.

Yeah, it just makes sense to me... I think after this season (the plan is) they extend Adebo, trade Lattimore, and keep Taylor in the slot. I think the Saints see McKinstry as a CB1 on the boundary.... and see him as a (potential) replacement for Lattimore - and can give him a year to prove he's "that #1 guy" before they make the move. I think a lot of teams had McKinstry ranked as a 1st round pick and probably the 3rd or 4th ranked CB overall in this draft... I think the Saints see him as a 1st rounder that they got in the 2nd round... and they traded up accordingly to get him.

This also helps "reset the cap" at the position.

DA, like Saban, came up as a DB coach. He likes to build his defense from the back. As such, I love the pick for the value, for the defense, and for the “plan” that it allows to happen should Latt get traded, Adebo price himself out of our range, or both.

Also, in today’s game, with all the motion and option routes, it seems to be much harder to “scheme” coverage. You can scheme some pressure, and you can scheme some run blitzes, but to do either of those, you have to have back end support. And I’m not sure you can just scheme coverage much anymore. (I am not a coach, so I could be wrong here)

For what the Saints do on D and are seemingly going to do on O, I LOVE the Fuaga, KAM, & Rattler picks.

Yeah, it just makes sense to me... I think after this season (the plan is) they extend Adebo, trade Lattimore, and keep Taylor in the slot. I think the Saints see McKinstry as a CB1 on the boundary.... and see him as a (potential) replacement for Lattimore - and can give him a year to prove he's "that #1 guy" before they make the move. I think a lot of teams had McKinstry ranked as a 1st round pick and probably the 3rd or 4th ranked CB overall in this draft... I think the Saints see him as a 1st rounder that they got in the 2nd round... and they traded up accordingly to get him.

Makes sense, but he's also still a question mark. Alontae Taylor has put on tape that he's capable of winning as an outside CB in the NFL. Regardless of how they feel about the rookie, he still hasn't played a down in the NFL yet, so that's what makes your projection murkier than the clearer option of Taylor manning the other boundary spot opposite Adebo post Lattimore.

Even with that being said, I'm in no rush to push Lattimore out the building. He's that good, when healthy.

So, his replacement's replacement. Makes even more sense.

You could be right, but I kind of see McKinstry as more effective in the slot due to his tackling and blitzing ability along with him being more quick than fast. Just seems perfect for the Slot physically and attitude wise. Then you move on from Lattimore either later this year or next and give Adebo a new contract. So you have Adebo and Taylor on the outside with McKinstry in the slot. I'm just not sure Taylor is suited for the Slot. He seems to lack the instincts and isn't a great tackler or blitzer.

Regardless of if Taylor or McKinstry are in the Slot, I think you are still good at CB, although you still lack the lockdown guy that Lattimore was unless Adebo, Taylor, or McKinstry develop into that guy.

Makes sense, but he's also still a question mark. Alontae Taylor has put on tape that he's capable of winning as an outside CB in the NFL. Regardless of how they feel about the rookie, he still hasn't played a down in the NFL yet, so that's what makes your projection murkier than the clearer option of Taylor manning the other boundary spot opposite Adebo post Lattimore.

Even with that being said, I'm in no rush to push Lattimore out the building. He's that good, when healthy.

I just don't think they have any intention of moving Taylor to the boundary permanently... I think they prefer him in the role he has now where they can match him up and move him around... He can play the boundary in a pinch when ML or PA are out... Sure. But McKinstry is more of pure outside press man CB than Taylor - With some flexibility to play inside and blitz... He compares well to Lattimore and a guy like AJ Terrell IMO - Maybe slightly slower, but still.... I think they jumped on McKinstry this year knowing there is a good chance ML is gone next year, and they wanted to get ahead at an important position, and reset the cap at the position in the process.

I think the future plan is adebo and Taylor on the outside with kool aid in the slot.

I wonder if NO would've taken Cooper DeJean if he had still been on the board?
Wouldn't surprise me. Cooper has more suddenness to his game and he and Kool-Aid have the same scheme versatility, while Cooper has more experience in the slot and Kool-Aid has more flashed potential with his hip fluidity rather than any notable experience in the slot.

My opinion on the whole boundary vs slot with Kool-aid is just because he DIDNT play slot doesn’t mean he CANT play slot. I’m not a a DB guru so I don’t know one way or the other. Nor I’m I willing to make a blanket statement one way or the other. However I do believe DA has the ability and knowledge to watch film on someone and determine if they possess the skill set and ability to play slot even if they were playing outside corner on the film. So if DA says kool-aid can play in the slot, I have no reason to doubt it.

Also as others have said, drafting a starting caliber player with a first round grade in the second round one or two years before you have a need at that position is how teams stay ahead of the roster. If you have a need at the position you are already behind and having to play catch up during free agency and the draft.

My opinion on the whole boundary vs slot with Kool-aid is just because he DIDNT play slot doesn’t mean he CANT play slot. I’m not a a DB guru so I don’t know one way or the other. Nor I’m I willing to make a blanket statement one way or the other. However I do believe DA has the ability and knowledge to watch film on someone and determine if they possess the skill set and ability to play slot even if they were playing outside corner on the film. So if DA says kool-aid can play in the slot, I have no reason to doubt it.

DA said he thinks he can play the Slot and DA said Saban thinks he can play the Slot. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but if Saban told DA he can play the Slot, you would have to think that the Saints asked Saban if he could which to me suggests they are at least thinking about using him in the Slot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom