Is The Saints QB Room Set For 2024? (1 Viewer)

Unless another team cuts someone decent I don’t see us signing anymore QB’s. I’m not fond of Peterman or Mond so it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we signed someone else and cut one of them.

The Rattler draft pick I think cements Haener as the #2 QB and Rattler as a 53 man roster emergency QB3.

Haener is really going to need to show us in training camp that he can come out and play meaningful downs this season for Carr (it’s almost inevitable that he will miss some plays or a game, that’s just like as a QB in the NFL these days). Jameis could run the offense last year for Carr; it’s time for Haener to prove he can do it as well if he wants to be the QB of the future.

Then we’ll have Rattler in the wings, likely taking a functional red shirt season like Haener did last year.

Come 2026 if we decide the Carr era has passed us by, we’ll have two young, talented QBs who have experience in our system to choose from to be our QB of the future. This is why drafting Rattler was such a good move, imo. We have to be making moves for 2026 too.

The Saints currently have 5 QBs under contract for 2024 including Carr, Hill, Haener, Peterman, and Mond. It's a given that Carr and Hill will be on the 53-man active roster with a highly likely spot going to Haener as well. The Saints most likely will carry at least 1 QB on the practice squad throughout the season.

The question: Is The Saints QB Room Set For 2024?

Best case scenario would be not being forced to play Hill at QB so that he can do all the things he does in his many roles without being limited to just the QB position in the event of an injury to Carr. With that said, though there have been encouraging bits of information regarding the commitment from Haener to improve his game we don't know yet if he can fill the role of the backup QB should Carr get hurt. Peterman hasn't yet shown himself to be that guy and is more of a camp arm with experience in the league to share. Mond is a young prospect that has had some experience with Kirk Kubiak in Minnesota. With all that said, outside of Carr and Hill, the others are still unproven or unknown to this point.

I think the Saints will bring in another QB to compete in camp. I would be all for the Saints to draft a late round QB or bring in an undrafted free agent rookie to either compete with Haener or at least compete for a spot on the practice squad. A couple choices for me would be Austin Reed from Western Kentucky or Jordan Travis from Florida State. Reed would give a more ready player to complete whereas Travis, if still recovering from injury, could be a player that you bring in and stash on injured reserve or go to the practice squad. If either fall to the 5th round or beyond it may be worth a flyer for either one imho.

Any thoughts or other suggestions for an addition to the Saints QB room?

Austin Reed:

Jordan Travis:

I think with the Rattler pick Mond and or Peterman are gone. Carr, Haener/Rattler. Only reason to keep Peterman is having two young QB's to back-up Carr.

The Rattler draft pick I think cements Haener as the #2 QB and Rattler as a 53 man roster emergency QB3.

Haener is really going to need to show us in training camp that he can come out and play meaningful downs this season for Carr (it’s almost inevitable that he will miss some plays or a game, that’s just like as a QB in the NFL these days). Jameis could run the offense last year for Carr; it’s time for Haener to prove he can do it as well if he wants to be the QB of the future.

Then we’ll have Rattler in the wings, likely taking a functional red shirt season like Haener did last year.

Come 2026 if we decide the Carr era has passed us by, we’ll have two young, talented QBs who have experience in our system to choose from to be our QB of the future. This is why drafting Rattler was such a good move, imo. We have to be making moves for 2026 too.

Good Post! It's to early to say whether Haener will win the #2 spot or not over Rattler or even the unknown at this point but he should have the edge starting out.

Unless another team cuts someone decent I don’t see us signing anymore QB’s. I’m not fond of Peterman or Mond so it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we signed someone else and cut one of them.

And the Saints may stay pat at this point with the group in the QB room and yet it's also possible we will see the bottom of the barrel churning for awhile. Peterman and Mond are at best project practice squad players that could be swapped out for another during the season.

I think with the Rattler pick Mond and or Peterman are gone. Carr, Haener/Rattler. Only reason to keep Peterman is having two young QB's to back-up Carr.
Whether it's Peterman, Mond, are someone else, I think the Saints will carry 5 or more QBs into training camp. I fully expect Carr, Hill, Haener, Rattler to enter the season on the 53-man active roster along with at least one if not two other QBs on the practice squad during the 2024 season.

The new version of the EQB3 rule basically allows for an extra QB to dress on gameday whether from the 53-man active or the practice squad without counting against the gameday roster. The league doesn't want to see a team go through a game with a position player having to fill in at QB (SF playoffs 2022) that dilutes the quality of play beyond even the most casual fans viewpoint. I see it as giving teams an extra slot to not only have an extra bona fide QB available but a means to expand the development of players at that position. I think most every team in the league will take this approach moving forward.

I would love to see a good battle between Haener and Rattler for No2 playing with the 1s, but only 3 preseason games make that unlikely.

I would love to see a good battle between Haener and Rattler for No2 playing with the 1s, but only 3 preseason games make that unlikely.

I don't think the Saints will take the path they did last year with Carr sitting out the entire preseason. That may only be the first series or so in one or more of those games. If Rattler is on par with Haener in camp for the QB2 position, we very well may see meaningful snaps with the 1s from both during the preseason.

I've pushed the narrative throughout this thread with my opinion that with the new EQB3 rules, teams including the Saints, will carry more QBs in camp and also on the roster (including the practice squad) than they have in years past.

In the 5 Takes On The Saints 2024 Draft From Sean Fazende article he states that the Saints will "Soon be cutting some of these QBs" and will NOT carry this many into camp. In the video he states that the Saints will cut at least 2, maybe 3 of the current QBs on the roster before training camp.

I have much respect for his opinion (1st bc he is a professional sports reporter with regular access to the team) as it is one that is based on common thought and the history of how many QBs a team usually does because of the limited number of reps available during camp, I see it differently in an evolving league where this new rule effectively encourages teams to develop QBs in more of a farm system way than before.

For all we know, another QB could come into the Saints fold after the final cutdown if not for a competing spot on the 53-man roster, a spot on the practice squad.

Take Five: Other Observations

• There is no way the Saints’ quarterback room of Derek Carr, Rattler, Haener, Nathan Peterman and Kellen Mond will remain that way. The team will have to part ways with one or possibly two before the start of training camp.

In the video there is an expanded take between the 3:30 mark and the 4:00 minute mark.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom