Is The Saints QB Room Set For 2024? (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
The Saints currently have 5 QBs under contract for 2024 including Carr, Hill, Haener, Peterman, and Mond. It's a given that Carr and Hill will be on the 53-man active roster with a highly likely spot going to Haener as well. The Saints most likely will carry at least 1 QB on the practice squad throughout the season.

The question: Is The Saints QB Room Set For 2024?

Best case scenario would be not being forced to play Hill at QB so that he can do all the things he does in his many roles without being limited to just the QB position in the event of an injury to Carr. With that said, though there have been encouraging bits of information regarding the commitment from Haener to improve his game we don't know yet if he can fill the role of the backup QB should Carr get hurt. Peterman hasn't yet shown himself to be that guy and is more of a camp arm with experience in the league to share. Mond is a young prospect that has had some experience with Kirk Kubiak in Minnesota. With all that said, outside of Carr and Hill, the others are still unproven or unknown to this point.

I think the Saints will bring in another QB to compete in camp. I would be all for the Saints to draft a late round QB or bring in an undrafted free agent rookie to either compete with Haener or at least compete for a spot on the practice squad. A couple choices for me would be Austin Reed from Western Kentucky or Jordan Travis from Florida State. Reed would give a more ready player to complete whereas Travis, if still recovering from injury, could be a player that you bring in and stash on injured reserve or go to the practice squad. If either fall to the 5th round or beyond it may be worth a flyer for either one imho.

Any thoughts or other suggestions for an addition to the Saints QB room?

Austin Reed:

Jordan Travis:

Last edited:
With DA, yes.

I think it is set.

I tend to agree. Although I do wonder if Travis would be a possibility? He just started doing stuff on the field a couple weeks ago so a red shirt year where he doesn't take reps might be allow him time to get fully healthy before he starts taking reps. That might work out for him and the Saints who have a lot of QBs in camp already.

They're gonna make Haener earn it, but I view him as the favorite to QB2 with Hill maintaining a joker role.

Jordan Travis in the 5th. Time to recover from injury.
The guy in the video below from A to Z Sports ranks Jordan Travis as the 10th highest QB available in the 2024 NFL Draft. He gives a good analysis of the QBs in his top 15 and also lists 10 others that he didn't watch film on and didn't rank. At the 8:11 mark of the video he gives a breakdown on Jordan Travis.

The top 6 QBs ranked in this video have already been drafted. The remaining available in order are:

7. Spencer Rattler - South Carolina - Projected 4th Round
8. Michael Pratt - Tulane - Projected 4th Round
9. Devin Leary - Kentucky - Projected 6th Round
10. Jordan Travis - Florida State - Projected 7th Round
11. Joe Milton, III - Tennessee - Projected 7th Round
12. John Rhys Plumlee - UFC - Projected UDFA
13. Sam Hartman - Notre Dame - Projected UDFA
14. Taulia Tagovailoa - Maryland - Projected UDFA
15. Kedon Slovis - BYU - Projected UDFA

Not rated: D.J. Irons - Akron, Ben Bryant - Northwestern, Gavin Hardison - UTEP, Phil Jurkovec - Pittsburgh, Emory Jones - Cincinnati, Spencer Sanders - Ole Miss, Jason Bean - Kanas, Jack Plummer - Louisville, Carter Bradley - South Alabama, Austin Reed - Western Kentucky, All Projected To Be UDFA

In the past 8 drafts from 2016-2023 there have been 95 QBs Drafted with an average of 12 each year. With 6 QBs already drafted in the 2024 draft it's most likely that another 5 or more will be drafted this year.

In my OP I favored the Saints taking a late round flyer on Jordan Travis or Austin Reed as project players. I'd be ok with any of the other players on this top 15 list other than Taulia Tagovailoa which I would see as a pure wasted pick. He's nowhere near the talent of his brother Tua. It's possible that if Rattler or Pratt fell to the 5th round or later the Saints would draft one of them as well. I don't see the Saints moving up into the 4th round to take a QB with all of the other needs scattered throughout the roster, but I do think they may trade up into the 4th round to grab a player they target at a different position.

A to Z Film Room Video:

Cons:
Peterman and Mond are exactly what they have been up to this point.

Pros:
If DC4 misses extended time, then we will get prime position in next year’s draft, if any of those sees the field

A part of me wants to roll as is bc of what I wrote above, but I would like to see Rattler in B&G. Dude had terrible blocking and no run game, yet still managed to have a decent/good-ish year in the SEC

Or get Plumlee and line him and TH7 both in the backfield so we can run all over defenses

Cons:

Pros:
If DC4 misses extended time, then we will get prime position in next year’s draft, if any of those sees the field

A part of me wants to roll as is bc of what I wrote above, but I would like to see Rattler in B&G. Dude had terrible blocking and no run game, yet still managed to have a decent/good-ish year in the SEC
Yeah, I agree on Rattler. He had little support which skewed his performance numbers. He's the one QB left that has the tools to project to be a #1 QB someday.

Yeah, I agree on Rattler. He had little support which skewed his performance numbers. He's the one QB left that has the tools to project to be a #1 QB someday.
Wonder if the Raiders will take him?!?! They are one of the lone teams that still needs a QB. Unless they feel Aiden is their guy

Cons:

Pros:

Sweet T was spot on with this one. Good call my man. (y)

The top 6 QBs ranked have already been drafted. The remaining available in order are:

7. Spencer Rattler - South Carolina - Projected 4th Round
It's possible that if Rattler or Pratt fell to the 5th round or later the Saints would draft one of them as well. I don't see the Saints moving up into the 4th round to take a QB with all of the other needs scattered throughout the roster, but I do think they may trade up into the 4th round to grab a player they target at a different position.

When I started this thread, I firmly believed the Saints were not set in the QB room for 2024, and they weren't.

I thought they might have to trade up into the 4th round to get Rattler, but I also thought that if he was available in the 5th the Saints would pick him. I would have been good with a lower rated project QB but with the Rattler pick the Saints have a QB prospect that can compete now with Haener for the #2 spot and in 2 years may become the Saints starting QB.

After the Rattler pick, we had members here posting disappointments, as well as likes in the other Rattler threads. For the folks that were disappointed and those that were fully disgusted with what they perceived to be a wasted pick, take a moment to consider a few things. You've probably criticized the Saints history for not committing to drafting a QB early. As I stated in an earlier post the average number of QBs drafted the last 8 years is 12. Eleven were drafted this year. The Saints got the 7th highest rated QB in this draft. The first 6 QBs rated higher than Rattler were all drafted in the 1st Round, the last two of them were Penix to the Clowns at #8 and Nix to the Broncos at #12 overall. The value the Saints got in Round 5, pick #150 overall, 138 spots apart, was a steal. The Saints were patient yet seized the moment to take the BPA that also filled a position of need that gives them a chance with a low-risk high reward possibility to find their QB of the future without mortgaging the farm to do so. We shouldn't be critical with damn if you do and damn if you don't reason. We should give the Saints credit for trying to improve the QB room by investing a 4th Round pick last year and a 5th Round pick this year. Neither Haener or Rattler may prove to be the answer but the team is at least trying.

I think the Saints will keep 4 bona fide QBs on the 53-man roster including Carr, Hill, Haener, and Rattler in 2024. (In addition, I think the Saints keep One or Two QBs on the Practice Squad this year.) If all are healthy, either Haener or Rattler will be fully inactive on game day and the other will be the EQB3. From the tone and speak by Kubiak on Hill in his interview he will find ways to involve him more in the offense and unless absolutely necessary, he won't limit him to just the QB position, keeping him in the swiss army knife/joker roles. This could be another reason to bring on addition talent to the QB room now.

As far as the future, Carr could be here for several more years if successful, but he could also be gone as early as 2026. By grooming 2 young QBs on the cheap the next 2 years it allows money normally allotted to a more experience veteran as the Saints did last year with Winston, to be used on another position. It's possible that both Haener and Rattler, or one or another flame out. If so, the Saints can keep reloading until they hit on keepers that improve the overall QB room and find the future starter in the process.

Last edited:
Sweet T was spot on with this one. Good call my man. (y)

When I started this thread, I firmly believed the Saints were not set in the QB room for 2024, and they weren't.

I thought they might have to trade up into the 4th round to get Rattler, but I also thought that if he was available in the 5th the Saints would pick him. I would have been good with a lower rated project QB but with the Rattler pick the Saints have a QB prospect that can compete now with Haener for the #2 spot and in 2 years may become the Saints starting QB.

After the Rattler pick, we had members here posting disappointments, as well as likes in the other Rattler threads. For the folks that were disappointed and those that were fully disgusted with what they perceived to be a wasted pick, take a moment to consider a few things. You've probably criticized the Saints history for not committing to drafting a QB early. As I stated in an earlier post the average number of QBs drafted the last 8 years is 12. Eleven were drafted this year. The Saints got the 7th highest rated QB in this draft. The first 6 QBs rated higher than Rattler were all drafted in the 1st Round, the last two of them were Penix to the Clowns at #8 and Nix to the Broncos at #12 overall. The value the Saints got in Round 5, pick #150 overall, 138 spots apart, was a steal. The Saints were patient yet seized the moment to take the BPA that also filled a position of need that gives them a chance with a low-risk high reward possibility to find their QB of the future without mortgaging the farm to do so. We shouldn't be critical with damn if you do and damn if you don't reason. We should give the Saints credit for trying to improve the QB room by investing a 4th Round pick last year and a 5th Round pick this year. Neither Haener or Rattler may prove to be the answer but the team is at least trying.

I think the Saints will keep 4 bona fide QBs on the 53-man roster including Carr, Hill, Haener, and Rattler in 2024. (In addition, I think the Saints keep One or Two QBs on the Practice Squad this year.) If all are healthy, either Haener or Rattler will be fully inactive on game day and the other will be the EQB3. From the tone and speak by Kubiak on Hill in his interview he will find ways to involve him more in the offense and unless absolutely necessary, he won't limit him to just the QB position, keeping him in the swiss army knife/joker roles. This could be another reason to bring on addition talent to the QB room now.

As far as the future, Carr could be here for several more years if successful, but he could also be gone as early as 2026. By grooming 2 young QBs on the cheap the next 2 years it allows money normally allotted to a more experience veteran as the Saints did last year with Winston, to be used on another position. It's possible that both Haener and Rattler, or one or another flame out. If so, the Saints can keep reloading until they hit on keepers that improve the overall QB room and find the future starter in the process.
I took a nap early in the 5th rd. That way our pick would be in by the time I woke up. I was pleasantly surprised to see that we selected Rattler. That kid is immensely talented and could be exactly what we need in for the future

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom