The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (2 Viewers)

I think the reason you may have not heard many opinions on the Lotus is because its so unknown. I’ve barely seen the Emeya in automotive publications and blogs. It is a great looking SUV though.

I’d have to say I like Rivian. Especially since I’m on my 2nd R1T (the first was totaled in a crash). I’ve also got $15K tied up in their stock (and losing). They’ve built a surprisingly high quality vehicle for their first try. I’ve only had problems with the tonneau cover, which was redesigned and replaced last December. The design is a little out there but it comes with a pretty large frunk and the gear tunnel is the most useful storage space I’ve seen on any vehicle. Then there is the performance. You can now buy the cheapest R1T with dual motors and just over 400HP. But I’ve got the Quad Motor with 835HP and 905Ft Lbs of torque. The performance is just jaw dropping. One other thing I like about Rivian is they under promise and over deliver on range. When the R1T first came out they were claiming 320miles of range. Many reviewers and owners are reporting ranges over 360miles, depending on your tires. The max pack battery will get you over 400miles of range.

Tesla still makes a good car. The Model 3 and Y are very reliable and you’ll find a horde of people that just love them. Tesla’s only real downside is they’re led by a dude that has simply lost his dang mind.

I’ve held my nose up at the Lightning. Mostly because Ford had overstated it’s range and some quality issues but I’m curious to see what the 2024 model has in store. Ford added a heat pump to the battery, which should help it perform better in cold weather. They’ve also cut the price to what I consider reasonable. It fully qualifies for the federal tax credit. Here in Colorado, it qualifies for an additional $5500 credit.

BTW, my neighbor has a Ford Mach E. He loves it and it hasn’t given him a single issue.

I don’t have an opinion on GM’s EV products. I just haven’t tried them. I do, however drool over the Hummer EV. I just love the styling. I just don’t have $111000 of love for it.
You left off Kia who I think is quietly putting together one of the best EV lineups on the planet.

I think the reason you may have not heard many opinions on the Lotus is because its so unknown. I’ve barely seen the Emeya in automotive publications and blogs. It is a great looking SUV though.

I’d have to say I like Rivian. Especially since I’m on my 2nd R1T (the first was totaled in a crash). I’ve also got $15K tied up in their stock (and losing). They’ve built a surprisingly high quality vehicle for their first try. I’ve only had problems with the tonneau cover, which was redesigned and replaced last December. The design is a little out there but it comes with a pretty large frunk and the gear tunnel is the most useful storage space I’ve seen on any vehicle. Then there is the performance. You can now buy the cheapest R1T with dual motors and just over 400HP. But I’ve got the Quad Motor with 835HP and 905Ft Lbs of torque. The performance is just jaw dropping. One other thing I like about Rivian is they under promise and over deliver on range. When the R1T first came out they were claiming 320miles of range. Many reviewers and owners are reporting ranges over 360miles, depending on your tires. The max pack battery will get you over 400miles of range.

Tesla still makes a good car. The Model 3 and Y are very reliable and you’ll find a horde of people that just love them. Tesla’s only real downside is they’re led by a dude that has simply lost his dang mind.

I’ve held my nose up at the Lightning. Mostly because Ford had overstated it’s range and some quality issues but I’m curious to see what the 2024 model has in store. Ford added a heat pump to the battery, which should help it perform better in cold weather. They’ve also cut the price to what I consider reasonable. It fully qualifies for the federal tax credit. Here in Colorado, it qualifies for an additional $5500 credit.

BTW, my neighbor has a Ford Mach E. He loves it and it hasn’t given him a single issue.

I don’t have an opinion on GM’s EV products. I just haven’t tried them. I do, however drool over the Hummer EV. I just love the styling. I just don’t have $111000 of love for it.

Wow! Thanks for that write up! Totally agree about the Lotus SUV. When the website picture doesn't do it justice, you know it's a good looking car. I didn't realize that I had seen something that new to the market. I wish I could have snapped a pic in hindsight. I wonder where they were taking them. Perhaps a car show? Man, they looked great.

Does that include Hyundai as well? Do they share the same tech? I just assumed they were the different brands of the same company.
They're different brands/companies, but both from S. Korea. They use a lot of the same tech, but I don't think they share any proprietary data or designs.

Edit: I'm wrong as zeetes corrected me. Different brands, same company.

I like them both but tend to favor Kia. We have an old Kia Soul and my daughter has a Hyundai Elantra. Both solid cars for us.

Last edited:
hyundai is the majority owner of kia and they share development on most of their platforms. similar to ford and mazda (before ford sold their controlling interest).

hyundai is the majority owner of kia and they share development on most of their platforms. similar to ford and mazda (before ford sold their controlling interest).
Oh, completely forgot about that. Thanks for correcting me. :9:

I just looked it up and Hyundai parent company bought 51% (controlling interest) of Kia in 1998.

And while they do share tech and development, they are run largely independently of each other.

Last edited:

Historically, Democrats have bought Teslas in significantly larger numbers than people with other political affiliations. As Elon Musk has moved to the right, interacting with far-right accounts, promoting race “science,” anti-Semitism, homophobia, transphobia and complaining about the “woke mind virus,” though, the number of Democrats interested in giving him their money has dropped significantly. Late last year, that figure reportedly dropped by more than 60 percent.

You left off Kia who I think is quietly putting together one of the best EV lineups on the planet.

I really haven't had a chance to take a good look at KIA or Hyundai's lineups. I DO really appreciate the good design of the EV9. My biggest concern with them is reports that their range isn't nearly as good as they state, but it's been about a year since I heard anything about that.

Does that include Hyundai as well? Do they share the same tech? I just assumed they were the different brands of the same company.
The lineups are so similar and they have vested interest so I lump them together, others may not. If Kia can get costs down as production expands I really feel like they have positioned themselves nicely.

It wont matter if China is allowed to run the market over.
I really haven't had a chance to take a good look at KIA or Hyundai's lineups. I DO really appreciate the good design of the EV9. My biggest concern with them is reports that their range isn't nearly as good as they state, but it's been about a year since I heard anything about that.

Tesla, Lucid Air and F-150 lightning had the biggest gaps between stated miles and actual miles. All of Kia/Hyundai on either side of 20 miles from stated range. Rivian R1T and a couple German cars did the best.

If I were a car manufacturer I would get first models on the road in May and make sure peak deliveries were rolling by August just for the range reasons.

The lineups are so similar and they have vested interest so I lump them together, others may not. If Kia can get costs down as production expands I really feel like they have positioned themselves nicely.

It wont matter if China is allowed to run the market over.

Tesla, Lucid Air and F-150 lightning had the biggest gaps between stated miles and actual miles. All of Kia/Hyundai on either side of 20 miles from stated range. Rivian R1T and a couple German cars did the best.

If I were a car manufacturer I would get first models on the road in May and make sure peak deliveries were rolling by August just for the range reasons.
I think wanting cars with huge range is creating demand for a product that really isn't needed. So what if your car's range is say, 500 miles vs. 250? That makes the car better if you take a "short" road trip. But if your road trip exceeds 500 miles round trip, you're going to need to charge either car at some point. Once you're in that scenario, the issue is - how convenient and easy will it be to charge on road trips? Tesla is still the runaway winner in this category. I'm very comfortable taking my Tesla on road trips because I have confidence in being able to charge on the road - the Tesla Supercharger network is that good if you own a Tesla. I'll take my 350 mile range Tesla over a 600 mile Lucid (or whatever) any day for a road trip, simply because I know fast charging will be simple and easy.

And for people who have access to 2 or more vehicles, and only use EV's for daily driving (and not long road trips), as long as your car's range exceeds your daily driving and you have a viable home charging setup, you're good. If you have level 2 charging at home, having a long range does not matter at all for daily driving.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom