The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (3 Viewers)

Yay, but not gonna hold my breath.

not gonna hold my breath, but even if it is real, certain party here will fight it tooth and nail to prevent it being used in the US, you know, because its China..
Not to mention how much oil companies will 'donate' to politicians to make sure it gets held up..

I think wanting cars with huge range is creating demand for a product that really isn't needed. So what if your car's range is say, 500 miles vs. 250? That makes the car better if you take a "short" road trip. But if your road trip exceeds 500 miles round trip, you're going to need to charge either car at some point. Once you're in that scenario, the issue is - how convenient and easy will it be to charge on road trips? Tesla is still the runaway winner in this category. I'm very comfortable taking my Tesla on road trips because I have confidence in being able to charge on the road - the Tesla Supercharger network is that good if you own a Tesla. I'll take my 350 mile range Tesla over a 600 mile Lucid (or whatever) any day for a road trip, simply because I know fast charging will be simple and easy.

And for people who have access to 2 or more vehicles, and only use EV's for daily driving (and not long road trips), as long as your car's range exceeds your daily driving and you have a viable home charging setup, you're good. If you have level 2 charging at home, having a long range does not matter at all for daily driving.
The long range people are wanting is simply due to the charging network. I’m driving from Wichita Falls to Dodge City, KS right now. There are zero charging stations on my 220 mile route. I’m not looking for an extreme example, it is literally the trip I’m on. I’ll pass 100+ gas stations within 5 miles if my route.

So when you cut range in half from ice vehicles then have to cut another 30 miles off that range to accommodate for a charge point then have to wait an hour to charge it just isnt reasonable for a lot of people.

I blame the government for not making charging infrastructure a priority.

Tesla is already pulling back Supercharger plans after Elon Musk came in like a wrecking ball and fired the whole charging team.

As reported earlier today and since confirmed by many departing Tesla employees, Elon Musk has fired Tesla’s entire charging team.

In an email announcing the move, the CEO said that Tesla would continue building Supercharger stations that are currently under construction without further commenting on how the lack of charging team will impact Tesla’s plan to grow the critical EV charging network.

We now learn that there are already direct impacts on planned future Supercharger stations.

Sources familiar with the matter told Electrek that Tesla backed out of four leases for upcoming Supercharger locations in New York: one in Maspeth, South Bronx, two in Queens, and one in Gateway Center, Brooklyn.

He also fired their new product development team. I think we have to presume that this was due to what he deemed poor performance and not due to some dramatic re-imagination of the company from Musk. But this is a publicly traded company - at some point, he has board and derivative risk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom