Catholic Church Scandal! (1 Viewer)

I had 2 of those kind of priests pass through my elementary school when I went.
Nothing happened there. They just sent them to my school when they got caught elsewhere.
I remember the priest at our church being reassigned when I was a kid -- as an adult I've always wondered if there was any sinister reason behind that move. It was in the 80's, when a lot of this stuff was first being exposed.

I thought you expressed yourself extraordinarily well.

I didn't come from a Catholic background. But my sense over the years is that priests and also nuns are very much revered. That if little Jimmy came home and said, Mom, Father Smith is messing with me, little Jimmy would not be believed. In fact, little Jimmy would have been admonished and/or punished by mom and dad for lying about Father Smith.

I was raised "in the church". That is, it was important to my mother that we attend church. But none of her child rearing was ever abdicated to, say, the pastor or junior pastor or youth minister and the like. Now, if ever I had come to her and said, Mom, Pastor Smith is messing with me, I don't know what she would have done. At least I feel like while it would have been a complete mind torque for her, my mom would have had MY back rather than believe in ANY adult over me. That is a night and day difference from how all those little Jimmys who DID tell someone about Father Smith and were not only not believed but told they were liars by the church. My parents never let me down. It's why I still wear my mom's ashes around my neck and my dad's class ring on my finger whenever I leave the house.
Nothing ever happened to me at the hands of the Catholic church other than the raised on guilt thing. I don't attend anymore because of the pedophilia but also with how rigid school was. I was a rebellious little thing and the nuns didn't care much for that nonsense! When I think back to how we were expected to be perfect and I see what has been going on within the church, well you know.
It isn't easy to set aside the only thing you've ever known. All I know is that my grandmother was the holiest person I've ever known, not the myriad of priests and nuns who were supposed to be.
And there I go, judging again...

I remember the priest at our church being reassigned when I was a kid -- as an adult I've always wondered if there was any sinister reason behind that move. It was in the 80's, when a lot of this stuff was first being exposed.
Google him.

So, just talked to an old co-worker. He said, he is getting a nice out of court settlement next year, due to a Catholic Priest.

It's really sad.

I had 2 childhood friends that were abused by priests, thankfully their parents were decent folks and shortly after ceased to be Catholic.....the way the church treated them after the fact was criminal, despicable......

Nothing ever happened to me at the hands of the Catholic church other than the raised on guilt thing. I don't attend anymore because of the pedophilia but also with how rigid school was. I was a rebellious little thing and the nuns didn't care much for that nonsense! When I think back to how we were expected to be perfect and I see what has been going on within the church, well you know.
It isn't easy to set aside the only thing you've ever known. All I know is that my grandmother was the holiest person I've ever known, not the myriad of priests and nuns who were supposed to be.
And there I go, judging again...
Yeah it wasn't the priests for me but the nuns

They had stopped the physical punishment by the 80s, but the psychological mind fork games continued. At least for some of them (others were quite caring/nice people)

I remember when I was in 2nd grade, anyone whose desk wasn't perfect would have it dumped on the floor while we at recess.

I'm putting this here because I think it's illustrative of the failings of the Archdiocese of New Orleans.

This year, a Catholic high school in the Archdiocese went on their senior trip to Disney. Several (SEVERAL) students brought drugs (not just marijuana, btw) along with them and got busted. Parents were called and a few were flown home. All of the students who brought drugs across state lines were expelled. The parents of those students threatened to sue the Archdiocese so the Head of Catholic Schools for New Orleans reversed the expulsions after 15 days. Those seniors will not have to take senior exams b/c they missed two weeks of school. They'll get to walk across the stage, attend Project Graduation, the whole deal. No lessons learned, apart from being rich gets you to avoid the consequences of your actions. And the Archdiocese caved. They have no guts, no sense of right and wrong, nothing but cowardice.

I attended Catholic Schools from lower elementary to a few years in college. Both of my children have attended Catholic Schools with my youngest graduating next year. I was an altar boy, confirmed and even married in the Catholic Church. Over the last twenty years I have distanced myself from the Catholic Church and Knights of Columbus. I realized a long time ago that people think that they are putting their Faith in the Church but in reality they are putting their Faith in Man and that is just a recipe for disappointment, betrayal and disaster. I have never lost my Faith, I just changed where I placed it.

I have a good friend who converted from Catholic to Baptist when he got married. He now severs as a Youth Minister since he retired from Law Enforcement. He really does some wonderful things with his Church as well as the youth. We have had some great discussions on this and we do not see eye to eye but we both agree that we each feel strongly about it. Faith is the most personal trait a person can have. It should be respected as much as it is discussed.
Anyone who idolizes politicians, priests/pastors/preachers and/or rappers 🚩🚩🚩🚩

I'm putting this here because I think it's illustrative of the failings of the Archdiocese of New Orleans.

This year, a Catholic high school in the Archdiocese went on their senior trip to Disney. Several (SEVERAL) students brought drugs (not just marijuana, btw) along with them and got busted. Parents were called and a few were flown home. All of the students who brought drugs across state lines were expelled. The parents of those students threatened to sue the Archdiocese so the Head of Catholic Schools for New Orleans reversed the expulsions after 15 days. Those seniors will not have to take senior exams b/c they missed two weeks of school. They'll get to walk across the stage, attend Project Graduation, the whole deal. No lessons learned, apart from being rich gets you to avoid the consequences of your actions. And the Archdiocese caved. They have no guts, no sense of right and wrong, nothing but cowardice.
Every time my brother was threatened to be kicked out of our elementary school, which was frequent and in reality I don't blame them, he was a bad arse, all my Dad had to do was have a chat with the priest and bring his wallet. 🙄

Every time my brother was threatened to be kicked out of our elementary school, which was frequent and in reality I don't blame them, he was a bad arse, all my Dad had to do was have a chat with the priest and bring his wallet. 🙄

And that’s the sad part! Money shouldn’t matter, but obviously they don’t care!

We had some friends that wanted their oldest kid to attend a Catholic school in the area. The school said no, due to one of the parents wasn’t religious/catholic etc. The parents then offered to double the yearly expected donation and suddenly the kid was enrolled the next week!

Yeah it wasn't the priests for me but the nuns

They had stopped the physical punishment by the 80s, but the psychological mind fork games continued. At least for some of them (others were quite caring/nice people)

I remember when I was in 2nd grade, anyone whose desk wasn't perfect would have it dumped on the floor while we at recess.

I've told the story before: as a kid, I went to Catholic school run by nuns. I was born left handed, so the nuns would hit my hand with a ruler multiple times every time I picked up a pencil with my left, telling me I will not write with the "hand of the devil".

Nice campus, though... a school for rich kids... lots of donations from parents of kids who were failing miserably but miraculously passed finals and went on to the next grade.

I've told the story before: as a kid, I went to Catholic school run by nuns. I was born left handed, so the nuns would hit my hand with a ruler multiple times every time I picked up a pencil with my left, telling me I will not write with the "hand of the devil".

Nice campus, though... a school for rich kids... lots of donations from parents of kids who were failing miserably but miraculously passed finals and went on to the next grade.
They did the same thing to my uncle, who ended up having absolutely terrible handwriting because of it. My father, who was six years younger, is also left handed but wasn't forced to write right handed, and he has fantastic penmanship.

Longtime New Orleans Catholic priest Lawrence Hecker received a special honor from the Vatican nearly 25 years ago despite having confessed to molesting children.

Then, for another two decades, church leaders in the city strategically shielded him from law enforcement and media exposure – while also providing him with financial support ranging from paid limousine rides and therapeutic massages to full retirement benefits, according to his own, previously unreported testimony.

A sworn deposition Hecker gave in private in 2020 shows exactly how high-placed Catholic church officials in New Orleans let him keep his elevated position for years, even after they had been advised to oust him from the clergy and – much later – publicly acknowledged that he was a child predator.

“It wasn’t a big deal in those days,” Hecker said at the deposition about how his archdiocese coddled him despite his acknowledged abuse of children.

The scale of the cover-up shocks the conscience. As Hecker walked into New Orleans’ historic St Louis Cathedral in early January 2000 to receive the honorary, Vatican-bestowed title of monsignor, he had already confessed to molesting children he met through his ministry.…..

Longtime New Orleans Catholic priest Lawrence Hecker received a special honor from the Vatican nearly 25 years ago despite having confessed to molesting children.

Then, for another two decades, church leaders in the city strategically shielded him from law enforcement and media exposure – while also providing him with financial support ranging from paid limousine rides and therapeutic massages to full retirement benefits, according to his own, previously unreported testimony.

A sworn deposition Hecker gave in private in 2020 shows exactly how high-placed Catholic church officials in New Orleans let him keep his elevated position for years, even after they had been advised to oust him from the clergy and – much later – publicly acknowledged that he was a child predator.

“It wasn’t a big deal in those days,” Hecker said at the deposition about how his archdiocese coddled him despite his acknowledged abuse of children.

The scale of the cover-up shocks the conscience. As Hecker walked into New Orleans’ historic St Louis Cathedral in early January 2000 to receive the honorary, Vatican-bestowed title of monsignor, he had already confessed to molesting children he met through his ministry.…..

Yup, and folks still give tons of money to them.....that is unconscionable to me.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom