This years Saints draft and what I have heard (1 Viewer)

I think one could argue that Rattler, Nix, and Penix are equal value. Personally I would take Rattler over Penix, between Nix and Rattler I think it’s even, a toss up.
One could also argue that Carr is at equal value as Mahomes. It wouldn’t be a good argument but it’s an argument. The Saints passed on Rattler how many times? Let’s not be devoid of logic here

Yeah I found the CB, QB and LB picks odd as far as need goes. I'd have thought a DE, OG and TE would have made more sense, but all of Loomis' drafts look like this. I can never see their logic. I've kind of given up. At least the players are ones I've heard of before.

I kind of worry about our OL and our lack of FB and TE to make a Shanahan offense go.
Maybe…..just maybe…….

He knew he wanted a TE. They knew the earliest they could get one was 150.

But, when that pick came…..

A. Rattler was shockingly available.
B. The TE we liked the most,,…Holker…..really looked to be available as UDFA knowing what other teams had, who was available, etc.
C. They chose this and got Rattler AND Holker.

Man, when they signed Jason David of Colts because they were desperate, and every one said he wouldn't work out he be a bust in Saints system...then he got straight abused by Peyton over and over again in their first match out, that was brutal.

Remembering that alone, a competitive or even overpopulated sceconfary is very soothing.
Also, Yiadom played quite a bit last year, and he was lost in FA. We had a definite need at nickelback, so he should have an immediate impact.

Have to be honest with exception with 1st pick the other picks will be spot players excluding special teams , Koolaid may break through mainly due to injuries aka Isaac Yiadom

Not because they aren’t good players but we don’t have holes in starting roster

We still need a LT and possibly a safety (Mike D spoke on this on radio) and those will probably be FAs

One could also argue that Carr is at equal value as Mahomes. It wouldn’t be a good argument but it’s an argument. The Saints passed on Rattler how many times? Let’s not be devoid of logic here
It’s not a stretch, your comparison is just to be a smart aleck

It’s not a stretch, your comparison is just to be a smart aleck
But it’s not. If Rattler was as good of a prospect as the other guys the Saints wouldn’t have passed on him multiple times. Let’s take the homer glasses off for a brief moment.

There is an argument to say the Saints got great value at all three spots. The Saints drafted the fourth OT in the first who may have been their first choice to fill their greatest positional need at right tackle to replace Ram. CB was nowhere close to a need with three of the best players on the roster at corner. But if the plan is to move on from Lattimore's salary and get a high draft pick in next year's class for an overall salary cap plan then it makes sense. What also makes sense is Mckinstry could have gone in the first and not looked out of place. Six quarterbacks were taken in the first 11 picks. We took the next quarterback who we likely had a late second early third round grade. The initial frenzy created a gap. Being the first team to take the next quarterback in the fifth when we did not have a third or fourth round pick is a blessing in disguise in terms of Saints draft capital. The Saints did not do anything stupid like trade next year's two to move into the third to take Rattler. They waited and took a player who is arguably a better draft value then some of the first round quarterbacks given the potential upside.

No one really knows who the best players in a draft are. Year after year teams applaud their own picks and act like what happened was what they intended. For the most part that is a lie. But I don't think it is a lie for the Saints to say Fuaga may have been number 2 on their board behind Alt or possibly first if they really prioritized right tackle and allowing some combo of Penning slash resigning Peat to be a plan for 2025. If you draft a LT then resign Peat the problem at RT and Ram's inevitable injury problems / retirement go unanswered.

My hopes is for the franchise to use the Derek Carr era to clean up the salary cap and eventually put themselves in a position to have a young quarterback that can elevate the team beyond mediocrity. If Rattler happens to be capable of that then you have the Brock Purdy or Dak Prescott type jackpot in draft value that every team hopes but few ever achieve. It's got to be a long game. Are we a Superbowl contender in 2025 absolutely not. Can we improve? Yes, if we can look reality in the face.

Reality is Cam Jordan, Ryan Ramcyzk, Tyrann Mathieu, Taysom Hill, Alvin Kamara, and to a lesser degree Marshon Lattimore are declining players. The NFL is ebb and flow. Declining in cap terms may mean you are paid more than your value based on what you did in the past. Ascending means you are paid less currently than what you will get on the open market in the future.

We took a one year at DE with Chase Young and LB with Gay. Honestly the only problem I really have with the draft is I would have taken the top safety Tyler Nubin from Minnesota in the second round who went 47 to the Giants who would have been there at 45 without having to trade up and been a college teammate of Howden to be in the wings for Mathieu and depth for 2024. I get a first round graded corner is the pick if you go by the board but I think need was more at safety than corner if things are that close.

Consider that most of the “media” gave our 2017 draft a B and some as low as C at the time, take it all with a grain of salt until at least mid-October. Or maybe even mid-next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom