Rookie of the Year Hypothetical (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Of the Saints' draft selections (not UDFA), if you could ensure that one of them would have a season worthy of being selected Rookie of the Year, who would you select and why?

Kool Aid McKinstry seems the logical choice to me. If he plays well enough to win the starting job, he might surprise with a season of INTs and shut down play that would earn him DROY.

Fuaga is the most likely to have the most impact on the season, but OROY is never going to be given to an offensive lineman, even in the unlikely event he had the highest rating of any OT in the entire league. The award will always go to a flashier position.

Fuaga is the most likely to have the most impact on the season, but OROY is never going to be given to an offensive lineman, even in the unlikely event he had the highest rating of any OT in the entire league. The award will always go to a flashier position.
Right. But if you could ensure that he'd win it if the play justified it, would he be your selection?

Kool Aid McKinstry seems the logical choice to me. If he plays well enough to win the starting job, he might surprise with a season of INTs and shut down play that would earn him DROY.

Well, if Fuaga rated as the best OT in the league, and recovered several fumbles, and caught several tipped passes, and ran them for a lot of yards and TD's, then he might have an outside shot at being OROY.

It would have to be Bub Means lighting the league on Fire. I dont think the OTs will get the love or acknolwedgement to win, and i think Adebo and Taylor make it hard for KoolAid. Seems like Lat or Adebo are primed to be traded for draft capital next season

Since it is only a hypothetical, then I'd choose Spencer. Because it would mean he would've had to put up some monster numbers a la CJ Stroud to be selected as the ROY. I also chose him because offensive linemen aren't usually given those types of awards, though they deserve the recognition. So, Fuaga could have a huge impact and not become ROY. I guess I could've said Kool-Aid and that would be great too. But if the question is hypothetical and presupposes a huge impact on our team, why not go with Spencer who would likely solidify himself as our franchise QB if he had such a stellar rookie campaign?!!

Last edited:
Right. But if you could ensure that he'd win it if the play justified it, would he be your selection?
If he has the success he had in college, yes, he'd be selection, but I know he'd never win because an offensive lineman just isn't ever going to make the "numbers-notable splash" like a skill player does.

Since it is only a hypothetical, then I'd choose Spencer. Because it would mean he would've had to put up some monster numbers a la CJ Stroud to be selected as the ROY. I also chose him because offensive linemen aren't usually given those types of awards, though they deserve the recognition. So, Fuaga could have a huge impact and not become ROY. I guess I could've said Kool-Aid and that would be great too. But if the question is hypothetical and presupposes a huge impact on our team, why not go with Spencer who would likely solidify himself as our franchise QB if he had such a stellar rookie campaign?!!
So in this scenario... did Carr have a Aaron Rodgers Jets type of moment that thrusts Rattler into the starting role?

You would have to say Rattler. That means Carr got hurt and he played so well he won rookie of the year and is our QB for the forseeable future.
Or even better he played so well in training camp he beat out Carr and coaches just couldnt let him sit.

Well I don’t think it’s likely but since it a hypothetical question. I’m going with Boyd. He finishes the year with 9 sacks and 21 TFLs from the DT position. Also has 12 batted passes and one pick from a tipped ball. 4 FF with 2 recovered and one returned for a touchdown.

It would have to be Bub Means lighting the league on Fire. I dont think the OTs will get the love or acknolwedgement to win, and i think Adebo and Taylor make it hard for KoolAid. Seems like Lat or Adebo are primed to be traded for draft capital next season
In order for Means to light it up, that means Carr would have to have his best season ever. So that rules out our entire offense.

McKinstry is probably the only one with a chance.

All our rookies contribute equally amazingly and off the charts. All make the Pro Bowl, and thus, cancel each other out of both ROY votes, because no one can choose which Saint deserves it the most, because they are all equally worthy...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom