New Lord of the Rings movie (1 Viewer)

Det. Brees

E tan e epi tas
Reaction score
The Lord of the Rings franchise returns in 2024 with The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim, and its another example of the property following a specific trend. J. R. R. Tolkien's acclaimed and best-selling Lord of the Rings books became one of Hollywood's biggest franchises over the course of the early 2000s. Audiences have been treated to multiple returns to Middle-earth in the years since, with The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim slated to be the latest. The animated film will take moviegoers back to before the events of the original trilogy.

I hope this is true, has anyone heard of this?

Thanks for the alert. This might be good. Depending on how it treats Tolkien. You can do it many different ways and keep the Tolkien essence. Bakshi got it. Rankin-Bass got it. Peter Jackson got it. But anybody who understands Tolkien and watched the Amazon travesty was thoroughly disgusted. Turning LOTR into an expanded media universe like Star Wars will be fun but will have the same portion of “gold that does not glitter” and crap that glitters.

Last edited:
For those who may be confused, this is going to be an animated movie directed by anime director Kenji Kamiyama but with an otherwise western production team so its not an "anime" production per se. Still looking forward to it, though.

For those who may be confused, this is going to be an animated movie directed by anime director Kenji Kamiyama, not anything new live action. Still looking forward to it, though.
Is it just me, but after I watched Peter Jackson's original movie trilogy last summer, I couldn't help but get a sense that those movies kind of prefigured or provided a template for GOT creators to two George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire novels into a wider, expanded long-running T.V. series. Jackson's LOTR movies at times, seem a bit liike GOT especially as it relates to human frailty, weakness, political intrigue, and temptation to use powerful weapons to gain and consolidate power for selfish, self-serving purposes. Even having a flawed, somewhat ethically-principled and morally compromised protagonist like Frodo have to endure the vicious mental and physical tribulations on his journey to destroy the ring and how he suffered so much PTSD trauma that once ROTK ended, he couldn't simply return back to his once-simpler life in the Shire.

Their are very few GOT characters who have a relatively linear path in terms of character development but Arya Stark is maybe the one who comes the closest because in the end, she does eventually become the person she imagined as a little girl, albeit with more then a few twists.

Is it just me, but after I watched Peter Jackson's original movie trilogy last summer, I couldn't help but get a sense that those movies kind of prefigured or provided a template for GOT creators to two George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire novels into a wider, expanded long-running T.V. series. Jackson's LOTR movies at times, seem a bit liike GOT especially as it relates to human frailty, weakness, political intrigue, and temptation to use powerful weapons to gain and consolidate power for selfish, self-serving purposes. Even having a flawed, somewhat ethically-principled and morally compromised protagonist like Frodo have to endure the vicious mental and physical tribulations on his journey to destroy the ring and how he suffered so much PTSD trauma that once ROTK ended, he couldn't simply return back to his once-simpler life in the Shire.

Their are very few GOT characters who have a relatively linear path in terms of character development but Arya Stark is maybe the one who comes the closest because in the end, she does eventually become the person she imagined as a little girl, albeit with more then a few twists.
GRRM has quite often spoken of the influence JRRT had on him
But he was more interested in mundane political/castle intrigue than epic fantasy (but obviously still like the fantasy stuff)

Too bad Ralph Bakshi never finished his version of LotR

Too bad Ralph Bakshi never finished his version of LotR

His version gets kind of messy about halfway through. It's an incredible oddity of a film and I adore it in all it's weird 70s rotoscoped glory, but it does get kind of incoherent at points on the back end.

His version gets kind of messy about halfway through. It's an incredible oddity of a film and I adore it in all it's weird 70s rotoscoped glory, but it does get kind of incoherent at points on the back end.
Par for the course with him 😂

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom