Article Kiper’s draft grades for all teams. (1 Viewer)

Determining who is a reach vs not is very subjective. And biased when they are the person who determined the rankings of these guys. Mel is that guy. He cant go against his "board" on his annual prom night. But when you base what a team did in the draft partially on what would have been if a trade last year, and the could of had this guy only if ..... just wrong. But, a B- is not bad compared to CBS that the labeled the Saints as a LOSER in the draft. They did not do much research.(not much required) They had no idea why the Saints drafted a running back when we already have Kamara and signed Williams. Guess they don't pay attention to the legal blotter. I am just glad opinions don't determine winners and losers when the season begins.

Clickbait. No one has played a down and they just play it safe and give most teams B’s so they don’t look bad in hindsight. There’s never any big hot takes just a bunch of “I like him” and “He has upside”

How is Mel Kiper still relevant?

He never was. He ********ed his way into the "draft analyst" position at ESPN back in the 80's and has hung around ever since despite clearly having no clue what he's talking about.

He's basically a con man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Determining who is a reach vs not is very subjective. And biased when they are the person who determined the rankings of these guys. Mel is that guy. He cant go against his "board" on his annual prom night. But when you base what a team did in the draft partially on what would have been if a trade last year, and the could of had this guy only if ..... just wrong. But, a B- is not bad compared to CBS that the labeled the Saints as a LOSER in the draft. They did not do much research.(not much required) They had no idea why the Saints drafted a running back when we already have Kamara and signed Williams. Guess they don't pay attention to the legal blotter. I am just glad opinions don't determine winners and losers when the season begins.
He even went so far as to penalize for not getting J Carter while completely ignoring what was gained.

If they had their own pick at No. 10, they could have made the move up one spot to get Jalen Carter, like the Eagles did, and fill their biggest hole.
I removed the hyperlinks because I suspect it was more about increasing revenue than useful information. Why else do you need to link to a popular teams draft from inside a write up about a small team who you barely look at?

Honestly, i enjoy Mel & Todd, Todd Todd’s not so subtle contentious back & forth banter. It’s like if The Odd Couple had a draft show. Mel himself admits to hating these next day knee jerk draft grades but that’s what ESPN pays him to do.

So Mel dinged us cause “we reached” on a few guys. Carter & Kancey were off the board & the next best DT was Bresee. He had a 1st RD grade & we got him in the 1st. Foskey had a 2nd RD grade & we got him in the 2nd. I get there were other guys there, but Foskey fits our prototype to the letter. & he hated on us for taking Kendre Miller over Devon Achane. Achane is a small change of pace back in the pros, while Miller is a 215-220 pound power slasher. I’m sorry, but give me the RB who can be a feature back vs a dude who’ll play 8 to 12 snaps a game.

Seems like a case of Mel liking the positions we addressed, but not the guys we drafted. In my opinion, this draft has all the makings of a class that will rival 2017. The guys we got have the look of ultimately becoming contributors, starters, & even stars. Seriously, I give Mel a C- for giving us a B-.

Kiper was the guy who said if Kelly Clausen isn’t a successful NFL quarterback in 8 years, he would retire. Enough said.

I have to admit, it bothers me about Achane. Achane was my favorite back as I’ve said on this board. I do like Kendre, our RB pick, because he fits the prototype of a slightly bigger 3 down back. But that’s what makes Achane special, that you wouldn’t know it if you just look at his measure-ables, is that he cannot be tackled, which means he cannot be hit. Which means he’s still running as I speak. His measure-ables suggest a 3rd down back. But he’s a 3 down back that is more complete because he’s got Kamaras agility and vision with a bigger backs durability due to not taking any shots. He’d be another unpredictably weapon in our arsenal. And we know that unpredictability leads to winning in the NFL.

I know it’s too early to tell, doesn’t matter, etc. Just posting for discussion.

Kiper's "Best Available" list on ESPN never changed through the 4th, and maybe part of the 5th round. It's like teams purposefully bypass his list.

eee4ef03c11a18998173eb1c527c9ddccc9149e963dc0bb61339e2fdb55a5212_1.jpg

One thing that is just flat wrong and arrogant, are these draft analysts that get emotionally attached to their opinion. NFL channel, Sirius satellite , Ryan Leaf, yes that guy, he’s somehow shook off his bad rep and embarrassing football career, to make solid progress as an analyst. He calls the big 10 among other shows. Anyway, he's earned some credibility. Ok, he was doing an analysis of the Lions draft. And he was livid that that their first two picks were reaches. Gibbs and Jack Campbell. As we can all agree that they do seem like reaches. But Leaf was livid, even the co host Zig Fracassi, was taken back. Leaf went on to explain why, and it was mostly for purposes of value and that a RB is a luxury pick for an already great team not a team with multiple needs. He said the same about Atlantas first round. So he makes some good points, so what’s the problem. The problem is, “value” should never be a consideration. If you can get the best player do it, don’t settle for a lesser player later. Zig said, hey they drafted who they thought they needed, Leaf responded overly-stern, and arrogantly, but my board said X player was the better value. zig was like wow, this dude thinks his board is better than the Lions‘ staff, so much so, he cannot even see that there could be another drafting strategy. The irony in this, is that Leaf himself busted like no other, and was considered the “value” option for Jim Mora and Indianapolis. Would he even agree that choosing him over Manning would be the right thing to do in any scenario? Probably not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom