Falcons…… (2 Viewers)

I get what you are saying but this is the Falcons. You can have someone waiting in the wings but you still have to develop that talent. Honestly, if they wanted another Michael Vick they should have signed Lamar Jackson when he was available. Signing Cousins and then QB in first round seems like pure incompetence. Then again, only time will tell.
I thought Atl would've had to send the Ravens two firsts if they had declined to match? Lamar's guaranteed money demands were mostly lambasted by forum members, so perhaps Atl had gotten cold feet as other teams had.

Anyway. I have no problem with Atl attempting to save a ton in a couple years if the rookie is properly marinated. They obviously aren't expecting to be in this draft position again.

People have no problem with Cousins always finessing the bag , and now are concerned about his bruised ego. This same sentiment usually doesn't apply to Dak, though they are the same QB. Cousins will be fine no matter what goes down.

Just playing devils advocate……

This strategy actually worked with…..

Machines while Smith was starter.
Rogers while Farve was starter.
Love while Rogers was starter.

Obviously I hope it blows up in their face……

But I know several here would have been more than thrilled if we took Mahomes while Brees was still setting NFL records.
Jury is still out on Jordan Love.

Montana/Young was the greatest transition plan IMO.
(although Young wasn't drafted by the 49ers)

But I know several here would have been more than thrilled if we took Mahomes while Brees was still setting NFL records.

It's not the worst strategy in the world, but if they were going to take Penix, there was no reason to guarantee Cousins $100 million over 3 years. That's the real issue. Plus, they have been signing players for win now and they still have many, many holes on that team. The Chiefs and Packers had fairly complete rosters when they took their future QBs. The Falcons don't.

Plus, the Falcons could have traded down 8 to 10 picks, gotten more picks to fill holes, and still have gotten Penix. It's possible nobody would do that deal, but taking Penix at #8 was a serious reach.

• 1Like
Reactions: LoE
I thought Atl would've had to send the Ravens two firsts if they had declined to match? Lamar's guaranteed money demands were mostly lambasted by forum members, so perhaps Atl had gotten cold feet as other teams had.

Anyway. I have no problem with Atl attempting to save a ton in a couple years if the rookie is properly marinated. They obviously aren't expecting to be in this draft position again.

People have no problem with Cousins always finessing the bag , and now are concerned about his bruised ego. This same sentiment usually doesn't apply to Dak, though they are the same QB. Cousins will be fine no matter what goes down.

I'm not concerned about Cousins' bruised ego. I'm happy about it. I hope he refuses to mentor Penix.

Adding to the dynamic of Cousins being recently added and having a brand new big contract, those other teams mentioned were also good football teams. Both Chiefs and Packers made the playoffs the year before and had winning records multiple years in a row. They could afford to allow their first round draft pick to sit for a year or two and not contribute.

The falcons are not good.

It's not the worst strategy in the world, but if they were going to take Penix, there was no reason to guarantee Cousins $100 million over 3 years. That's the real issue. Plus, they have been signing players for win now

Plus, the Falcons could have traded down 8 to 10 picks, gotten more picks to fill holes, and still have gotten Penix.
I'm guessing they felt Cousins would give them the better chance to win now. You said they're signing players, so this seems to me that Atl isn't being complacent.

I'm also interested in how you'd know that the Vikings, Broncos, and especially the Raiders would've all passed on Penix over the next 5 picks. I'm sure someone like Payton would declare thier pick to be the target all along. I know I've seen reports of teams attempting to trade up into the top 10 for Penix, but whatever..

Yall can laugh all you want to but you never apologize for drafting a potential franchise QB
So you're good with them drafting another one next year? And the year after that? Because who knows...any of them might be a potential franchise QB.

Not nearly the same.

Packers were still set up to compete for a title with Favre

GB was still competing for a title run with ARod

Mahomes is closer to a comparison but they were better off too

They paid Kurt all that money to win NOW then didn’t do a good job at all at supporting that investment.

It may work out in the long run, but it made absolutely no sense based off prior moves.

You and I both know that will not happen. So we are not going to do this.
We are not going to do what? I'm exposing the flaw in your initial statement. Yes, there is a wrong moment to draft a potential franchise QB. One of those moments is when you just guaranteed $100 million to another franchise QB (and yet your defense's best pass rusher is Kaden Eliss).

We are not going to do what? I'm exposing the flaw in your initial statement. Yes, there is a wrong moment to draft a potential franchise QB. One of those moments is when you just guaranteed $100 million to another franchise QB (and yet your defense's best pass rusher is Kaden Eliss).
Just because you said it’s not the right time to draft a QB doesn’t mean that is correct. They wanted Penix and they got Penix. Kirk isn’t the long term answer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom