Can Kyle Hergel fill the hole at OG? (1 Viewer)

I would think our FO is going to make a bigger push to bring back Peat.
Maybe. But this new blocking scheme is not vertical like blocking and pushing your man back down the field. Neither is it, allowing the defender to make first contact where the OL will kick back an anchor. It’s more about getting off the ball first and immediately blocking horizontally toward the sideline. In other words, getting off the snap first, then turning into the side of the defender, pushing him to the sideline. This all changes if it’s 3rd & 8 plus. (Or so). Then the offense will shift back to what we’re used to seeing. So does Pete have super elite burst at this point? I think that’s why he hasn’t been signed. Hopefully he does still have it and is signed. But this could be why. Someone that knows the scheme correct me if I’m wrong.

Saldiveri was penciled as an OG last year and was the swing OL before his injury. From NFL draft report "Saldiveri is naturally athletic and should fit best as a zone blocker or pulling guard who can get out into space and find work."

And Ruiz is ranked 35 out of all OG for 2023...
That isn't a very good ranking for a player that was drafted as high as him and for a player that is paid as well as he is paid...

Agreed that he played nowhere near his draft position value, but it’s still middle of the pack. Other than Peat, our left OL was way worse, and Ram was bad too for stretches, for the reason we all know unfortunately.
What I mean is, upgrade the other 3/5 of the line and Ruiz would be just ok

Saldiveri was penciled as an OG last year and was the swing OL before his injury. From NFL draft report "Saldiveri is naturally athletic and should fit best as a zone blocker or pulling guard who can get out into space and find work."
It will help our OL immensely if he stays healthy this year and he plays well.

I would like to see them bring Peat back for most of the same reasons as others but also because if we do I think we definitely don’t trade Lattimore. I know, most people are probably saying what does signing Peat have to do with trading Lattimore? Let me explain my reasoning.

We currently have 7.5m in cap space according to OTC. Reports say a peat deal will be in the neighborhood of 5m. Even if we get him on a team friendly deal of 3m that’s leaves us 4.5m. There’s a 13m dead cap hit if we trade Lattimore, which means we have to do some restructuring to free up 9m. Maybe more if that 7.5m currently under cap doesn’t include rookies. Obviously Loomis could free up that cap but I think the Saints would prefer not to do anymore restructuring and pushing cap into future years. So that’s why I think if we sign Peat, we don’t trade Lattimore.

Edit: ignore this. The contract details were better explained a couple of posts down.

Last edited:
I would like to see them bring Peat back for most of the same reasons as others but also because if we do I think we definitely don’t trade Lattimore. I know, most people are probably saying what does signing Peat have to do with trading Lattimore? Let me explain my reasoning.

We currently have 7.5m in cap space according to OTC. Reports say a peat deal will be in the neighborhood of 5m. Even if we get him on a team friendly deal of 3m that’s leaves us 4.5m. There’s a 13m dead cap hit if we trade Lattimore, which means we have to do some restructuring to free up 9m. Maybe more if that 7.5m currently under cap doesn’t include rookies. Obviously Loomis could free up that cap but I think the Saints would prefer not to do anymore restructuring and pushing cap into future years. So that’s why I think if we sign Peat, we don’t trade Lattimore.
A potential Lattimore trade creates 4M cap space in 4 weeks after June 1. His rostered cap hit is 14.61M; his trade-dead money cap hit will be 10.65M after June 1. The 4M could go towards re-signing Peat.

Saints can always restructure Juwan (3.9M cap savings) or extend AK (8.07M cap savings) for a little more room at any time. Hill (6.6M), Moreau (1.83M), Saunders (1.82M) and Gray (1.4M) are other remaining restructure candidates.

A potential Lattimore trade creates 4M cap space in 4 weeks after June 1. His rostered cap hit is 14.61M; his trade-dead money cap hit will be 10.65M after June 1. The 4M could go towards re-signing Peat.

Saints can always restructure Juwan (3.9M cap savings) or extend AK (8.07M cap savings) for a little more room at any time. Hill (6.6M), Moreau (1.83M), Saunders (1.82M) and Gray (1.4M) are other remaining restructure candidates.
Ahhh. I didn’t realize the dead cap hit was less than his current salary.

and yet, he and McCoy were the most consistent players on the offensive line.

That's always been the argument for Ruiz. But if he's not that good, I don't care if he was the most consistent or where he was drafted. Find someone better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom