Article 5 takeaways from rookie minicamp: Spencer Rattler looks the part, has starter traits compared to vet Kellen Mond’s backup ceiling (2 Viewers)

Why is there a need to dog out those who are optimistic about a drafted QB who has the talent to have gone much higher? He's more gifted than any QB we've drafted in many years. Having some excitement isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
That’s more of an in-season thing, backups getting very few reps…he’ll get plenty of work at training camp.
I don't think the distribution of team reps (that's 11 on 11) down through the depth chart agrees with you. Starter gets a huge share, backups get a few, third string and beyond even less.

You may be thinking of positional work, reps vs air and so on.

I had him as a 2nd rounder - 3rd at worst - with 1st round talent... Not sure why he went in the 5th, but it certainly wasn't lack of arm talent or QB ability or potential...
I had him as a 5th based on height and playing for South Carolina creating a bias against him. I do think there are times when scouting departments don't take the level of competition or team composition as seriously as they should. In a vacuum, I'd have rated Penix under Rattler. The litany of injuries and scattershot accuracy on short and intermediate routes didn't impress me. Then again, I'm also the guy who wondered why the hell anyone would ever draft Vince Young in the first round. That man owes most of the checks he made in the NFL to David Thomas making incredible catch after incredible catch against USC.

I had him as a 5th based on height and playing for South Carolina creating a bias against him. I do think there are times when scouting departments don't take the level of competition or team composition as seriously as they should. In a vacuum, I'd have rated Penix under Rattler. The litany of injuries and scattershot accuracy on short and intermediate routes didn't impress me. Then again, I'm also the guy who wondered why the hell anyone would ever draft Vince Young in the first round. That man owes most of the checks he made in the NFL to David Thomas making incredible catch after incredible catch against USC.

My rating on Spencer had to do with how many OU games I was forced to watch by my Sooner dad, and how many SEC games I watch on my own accord... If you go back to 2020 (so long ago - I know it's hard)... before Lincoln Riley pulled the hook on him for one bad game (after one of the best seasons by a freshman QB in the NCAA)... You would have (without question) said that Spencer was a better QB than Pennix Jr and Bo Nix at that time... You would have laughed if I said that Jayden Daniels (ASU) was going to be better than Spencer... and you would have had no idea who Caleb Williams or Drake Maye where...

His time at SC really solidified for me how good he was... because that team was a complete shirt show... and he kept them competitive...

Had it not been for Lincoln Riley killing the kid for Caleb Williams after a bad game... and even if so... had he gone to LSU, or Oregon. or Washington like Bo or Mike or Jayden did... and not the turd circus that was SC... I think we sitting here talking about him as a day 1 pick most likely - and a day 2 pick at worst.

Now don’t get carried away
😂
I've got faith in DA. Was one of his harshest critics during the season.

Truth is no one wants to admit it but it's not like Sean Payton was winning many games after Drew retired either. A coach has gotta find "his guy", especially the defensive ones. I think Rattler is that guy for him. Over their last two coaching seasons Payton is 17-17 and Dennis Allen is 17-18. Proof that even the great Sean Payton needs a QB to win games or he looks average as a HC.

I had him as a 2nd rounder - 3rd at worst - with 1st round talent... Not sure why he went in the 5th, but it certainly wasn't lack of arm talent or QB ability or potential...

Baring a complete mental meltdown... I expect him to be QB2 this year, and pushing Carr out the door next year. Seriously.

I get sad realizing the panthers drafted Xavier until I remember how Bryce looked last year lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom