Wattstax (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Good article on the concert
=====================
In the long, hot summer of 1965, Memphis soul singer William Bell travelled to Los Angeles with Stax Records’ labelmates Booker T and the MGs and Rufus Thomas to play a club date attended by many people from the predominantly Black neighborhood of Watts. “We had such a great reception there,” he said. “It was so popular that people were turned away at the door.”

At the same time, Bell felt tension in the air. “There was a sense in the Black community that something had to give,” he said. “People were tired of being suppressed. It was like a volcano waiting to blow.”

Several weeks later it did in a way so profound it made history – for both righteous and ruinous reasons. On the one hand, what became known as the Watts Riots of 1965 – referred to by others as the Watts Uprising – made clear to the world the depth of anger that Black citizens felt over the racism they experienced in everything from policing to housing to education.

On the other, the protests spiraled into a melee that involved mass arson, looting and shootings that left 34 people dead and a community in greater despair than ever.

In the wake of the rubble, young community leader Tommy Jacquette created an annual Watts Summer Festival meant to benefit the area and bolster the citizens. Little did he know that seven years later, that modest festival would balloon into something enormous and enduring.

In 1972, Stax Records and its artists – including Bell, Isaac Hayes, the Staples Singers, The Bar-Kays and others – returned to Watts to create a benefit concert, dubbed Wattstax, that drew over 100,000, mainly local people. The event, during which not a single violent act took place, was captured in a documentary and a live album that each became classics.

Now, for their fiftieth anniversary, the Wattstax film is returning to theaters joined by a new box set that, for the first time, includes all six hours of the original show. The latter is especially meaningful because so much of the music had never come out before.

“It’s an answer to a prayer,” said Wanda Hutchinson of the vocal group The Emotions, who performed at the event. “There was so much great music that people who weren’t there didn’t get to hear.”

Then again, it’s amazing that the event took place at all given the many obstacles its organizers faced. “This was an enormous undertaking for us,” said Al Bell, who was Stax Records’ president at the time and who is not related to William Bell.

“We were trying to do the unimaginable,” added Deanie Parker, who handled the label’s publicity and who helped organize the event. “We were coming from the other side of the country, from Memphis, and we had never done anything like this before.”

Regardless, Al Bell had been determined to do something for the Watts community ever since he saw that area erupt in flames in 1965. “It was all over television,” he recalled. “I hadn’t seen that kind of rebellion before. It frightened me but I also knew very well what gave rise to it.”…….

He believes that the Coliseum people only agreed to let the show happen there because they didn’t think it would draw that many people. But this was before Stax got busy promoting the hell out the show on Black radio and newspapers, in the streets and in the skies, with streamers advertising it behind prop planes.

Once it became clear that Wattstax would, in fact, draw a huge audience “they came to us and said, ‘you can’t perform here,’’ Bell said. “Luckily our chief attorneys had put a clause in the contract so they couldn’t get out of the agreement.”

They did, however, try to intimidate the Stax executives by stressing that they were liable for any damage caused to the turf on the field the mighty football team, the Los Angeles Rams, would play on the next day.

To mitigate that, the show’s organizers had to take out expensive insurance and they almost needed to use it due to what happened during the set by Rufus Thomas. The singer encouraged the fans to come out of the stands and onto the fields.

“But once we told him that couldn’t happen, Rufus, being the great entertainer he was, made getting them back on the stands part of his performance,” said Bell……

NSFW (because if Richard Pryor)

Featuring the entire Stax Records roster of soul, blues, and gospel artists, the Wattstax concert on Aug. 20, 1972, was no mere label showcase.

Organized in commemoration of the 1965 riots in Watts, California, instigated by police brutality and longstanding systemic inequality, it was a celebration of Black pride and a call for a more just society.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson, emcee for the event, took the stage shortly after 3 p.m. for his introductory remarks. Inside a Los Angeles Coliseum packed with more than 100,000 primarily Black men and women, he made the day’s mission statement clear with the call-and-refrain of “I Am Somebody”:

“I am … (I am!)
Somebody … (somebody!)
I may be poor … (I may be poor!)
But I am … (but I am!)
Somebody … (somebody!)
I may be on welfare … (I may be on welfare!)
But I am … (but I am!)
Somebody … (somebody!)
I may be unskilled … (I may be unskilled!)
But I am … (But I am!)
Somebody … (somebody!)
I am … (I am!)
Black … (Black!)
Beautiful … (beautiful!)
Proud … (proud!)
And must be respected … (and must be respected!)”

From the opening strains of Dale Warren’s orchestral piece “Salvation Symphony” to singer Jimmy Jones and Jesse Jackson joining Isaac Hayes’ band for a closer of the Pete Seeger staple “If I Had a Hammer,” the audience was treated to an extravaganza of hit singles and spectacular sets…….

Wattstax was the biggest endeavor undertaken by Stax Records. As participants arrived at the Los Angeles Coliseum, the scale and importance of the show was immediately apparent.

“I came in the day before for the parade we participated in and there was this feeling of, ‘Wow, whatever happens with the show is going to be different in a positive sense,’” recalls Porter. “I got there and saw there’s more than 100,000 people in the Coliseum, and it made me wonder what kind of spirit the day was going to be.”

“It was the first time most of us had done a major concert in California,” notes William Bell, who performed and was on and around the stage all day to assist in emcee duties. “It was a six-hour day in the hot sun for me, but it was exciting being young and having the chance to be in front of that many people was rewarding.”

Any concerns about crowd response and engagement in the stadium were immediately put to rest. The sustained enthusiasm served as a notice to the performers of just how big Stax had become and the significant cultural imprint its musicians were making.

“It was a spiritual awakening. It was rewarding, because we didn’t realize the impact we were having with our recordings. We didn’t know they knew who we were,” says Bell. “We really came into our own at Wattstax; we were regionalized before that.”……

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom