N/S Trey Hendrickson and Tee Higgins are requesting a trade (2 Viewers)

Not buying the "retirement" threat. He would forfeit $31M in salary over the next 2 years, placed on the Bengals reserve/retired list and won't be able to sign anywhere else, and the Bengals could require him to pay back $7.8M worth of the signing bonus he got from them.

Between Joe and Chase there's not much money left.

He may have 2 years left but if I understand it, no guarantees so they can cut him whenever and be free of his cap hit. Not sure if he wants more money or just guaranteed money but I'd have a conversation about it. Dude is a beast.

He may have 2 years left but if I understand it, no guarantees so they can cut him whenever and be free of his cap hit. Not sure if he wants more money or just guaranteed money but I'd have a conversation about it. Dude is a beast.
If he is unhappy about not having guaranties left with 2 years remaining, then he shouldn't have signed the contract extension in 2023.

If he is unhappy about not having guaranties left with 2 years remaining, then he shouldn't have signed the contract extension in 2023.
Not going to lie, I have no idea what his contract status has been since he left. But yeah, if he just signed it then it's on him and his agent

Lost all respect for Hendrickson..... Definitely not looking for a ring..
Come on man... so silly how we jump on players trying to make the most of their careers when they retire early 30's. They probably lowballed him and he's right to check elsewhere for the highest bidder. Why do any of these players need to have any loyalty to any city/franchise whatsoever? They don't and they should be trying to make the most of their short careers for their families.

Not buying the "retirement" threat. He would forfeit $31M in salary over the next 2 years, placed on the Bengals reserve/retired list and won't be able to sign anywhere else, and the Bengals could require him to pay back $7.8M worth of the signing bonus he got from them.
Your post is spot on. When players are seeking more money, guarantees, and longer contracts while currently earning $15m per year the "retirement threat" sounds like a desperate attempt to add a concern their current team should consider. How often do players make good on these threats and retire under these circumstances?

So, he wants more money, a solid amount of it guaranteed, for a longer period of time. Otherwise, he would prefer to be traded. I can accept that position in his demands, but the Bengals don't have to bend to them. They can call bluff and ride out the last 2 years of his contract if they want. And if he really does have a CTE moment and retires to show them, he will face the consequences as you described above. That would be one concussion short of stupid.

As far as finding a trade partner, the team trading for him would have to give up solid compensation along with fitting him in on the roster while taking on his $15M salary while dealing with the same demands from T-Rex that he seeks from the Bengals. With that said, he may be worth it to a team that is trading for him knowing what you are getting as a player under 30 years old performing at a high level that you could lock up on a longer deal.

Don’t want players like that
I will never ever ever understand this sentiment. You are saying you don't want players that understand this is a game and the most important thing by far is their and their family's well being? You realize this game isn't about you as a fan, it's not about a team, it's not about community, it's not about championships. It's about $. It is a job. End of story. Anything else is ultimately a construct that can and hopefully will be super beneficial for you as a fan or the community etc. But you are deluding yourself if you think it is or should be about anything else. They are willfully saying I will risk my body, and %wise, most likely shorten my life. If they weren't doing it for $, they would be a sucker.
(Small caveat) Some % of why they do it can also be attributed to glory aka ego and possibly a small % to getting a more desirable partner.

Trey is learning that despite the lucky proposition of them backing their way into the Joe Burrow and Ja’Marr Chase era, he’s playing for one of the most notoriously awful and cheap owners in the history of the league, and now that Burrow has been paid, all bets are off for everyone else.

The Bungles will be back sooner than later.

I don't like players chasing money. I understand the idea of getting your worth and making the most you can, but we're not talking about whether you can pay your bills next month or whether you have to settle for a Corolla because you can't afford a Camry. TH has made $68 million and is set to make $21 million this year (I think). He could take care of the children of his grandchildren if he wanted to, so forgive me if I don't feel sorry for him.

I'm a fan of the NO Saints. I want players chasing rings first and foremost. I don't mind if they get paid, but I want players who can say they won a SB over players who say they'll only play if they're paid their "worth."

The Bengals are severely underpaying Trey. He has the third most sacks in the league since 2020 only behind TJ Watt and Myles Garrett (both those guys have $100 million plus contracts). I doubt Trey is looking for that...just a long term contract. That said, not sure why he happily signed that extension last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom