N/S: Will the Steelers try Justin Fields out as their Taysom Hill (1 Viewer)

If Fields tried to do everything Hill does he would be in a body cast within 2 games.

I am not a Fields fan, but let the guy be developed by someone else that does not work for the QB killers (Bears coaching staff every year). That is an interesting place for him to land though, I will say that.

Yep…Solider Field or Halas Hall is cursed when it comes to QBs. Literally the only franchise that has never had a 4,000 yard or 30 touchdown passer. Just an absolute QB graveyard.

They’ve been looking for the answer at QB since I first started watching football in kindergarten.

Yep…Solider Field or Halas Hall is cursed when it comes to QBs. Literally the only franchise that has never had a 4,000 yard or 30 touchdown passer. Just an absolute QB graveyard.

They’ve been looking for the answer at QB since I first started watching football in kindergarten.
This didn’t feel real to me, so I looked it up… the closest to both belongs to 1995 Erik Kramer. 3,838 yards, 29 TDs.

I just knew Jay Cutler, in one of those seasons of throwing to Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett, and Matt Forte had done it. Nope. 3,812 and 28 is the high water mark.

This didn’t feel real to me, so I looked it up… the closest to both belongs to 1995 Erik Kramer. 3,838 yards, 29 TDs.

I just knew Jay Cutler, in one of those seasons of throwing to Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett, and Matt Forte had done it. Nope. 3,812 and 28 is the high water mark.
I looked into it too…how sad.

Actually, Fields is slightly taller and heavier than TH7 and is just about as fast.

The subject in the thread title is a little bit misleading. The Steelers ST Coach is suggesting that he would like to try using Fields in the KO return game. The Steelers OC has not suggested yet using Fields in any other role than QB. Nobody on their staff has suggested they want/will use Fields in the full blown TH7 role. Fields has yet to comment on whether he would be willing to play anything other than QB.

The new rules for the KO return allow 2 returners. The entire setup on both sides of the ball will be new to all and finding the right mix of players will probably be different than that of the past. Fields may very well be a fit in the new KO return game. He may or may not be willing to give it a go.

Fields is a good runner in the open field and can make defenders miss. He's been successful running the football from the QB position, however, there's a huge difference between dropping back to pass and then taking off with the defenders down field with their backs to you as opposed to lining up in the power QB formation with everybody on earth knowing you are going to run the ball into the teeth of a defense that may have 8 or 9 men near the line of scrimmage attacking the play.

If the Steeler were to try using Fields in the way the Saints use TH7 with designed power QB runs he would find it to be quite different than what he is used to doing. We don't know yet whether he has the will or want to play that role. It's not for the faint hearted. He'd have to show the grit and toughness to try running into the teeth of a defense where they are facing up on him bringing the wood. He may not want to jeopardize his future with those suicide missions on a regular basis.
🤣 Fields looks like a stick compared to Hill. I’ve heard multiple times during games that Hill was 240ish. Everything on Google has him at his weight first coming into the league.

I know weight lifting doesn't quite translate directly to football and the internet isn't always accurate but iirc, *BYU wouldn't let Hill (maybe due to position) squat more than 600lbs. Justin Fields Rookie year his max is listed at 475 (thru google-fu). Hill has an insane amount of leg drive for someone who plays QB.

*Take it with a grain of salt but stated during a TV interview a few years ago.

🤣 Fields looks like a stick compared to Hill. I’ve heard multiple times during games that Hill was 240ish. Everything on Google has him at his weight first coming into the league.
Fields is listed as an inch taller than Hill. He could be closer to 2 inches taller. He doesn't have the lower body build of Taysom who squats around 600 pounds.

I've never heard anyone comment during games that his weight is 240ish nor have I heard or read that anywhere. Outside of Google every source you look up has his weight listed at 221. Now, a couple years back Hill said that he had worked to increase muscle strength in areas he hadn't concentrated on previously as a QB but he didn't say he gained any weight or had bulked up. What he did say when he returned to the QB room was that he would return to his prior training, but he didn't mention losing any weight.

Both Hill and Demario Davis or listed at 6'2" tall. DDs listed weight is 248. If Hill is 240ish, he would look similar in stature to Davis which he doesn't. I'm inclined to believe Hill actually weighs more closely to his listed weight at 221 pounds.

Yeah, he listed at 221 lbs. I think it's safe to say that's not accurate currently. He's closer to 250 than 220
right now.

welll before TH7 there was this cat, in a Steeler uni no less, that was drafted as QB but ended up playing multiple roles. He wasnt as dynamic as TH7 is running the ball, but his play laid the groundwork for players like him that were versatile.

Hines Ward.

and even more coincidental, both UGA Qbs

but i do agree, Justin is no Hill/Ward type
I was thinking Antwaan Randel-El

I was thinking Antwaan Randel-El
Randel - El was drafted as a Wr. Kordell Stewart was drafted to play Qb. Randel-El is still the only WR. to
throw a TD pass in a Super Bowl.

welll before TH7 there was this cat, in a Steeler uni no less, that was drafted as QB but ended up playing multiple roles. He wasnt as dynamic as TH7 is running the ball, but his play laid the groundwork for players like him that were versatile.

Hines Ward.

and even more coincidental, both UGA Qbs

but i do agree, Justin is no Hill/Ward type

Well, until yous said Hines Ward you were correct. That other guy's name was something something Slash.

Yeah, he listed at 221 lbs. I think it's safe to say that's not accurate currently. He's closer to 250 than 220
right now.
How safe is it to say that?
Anywhere close to 250 and Hill would look like Demario Davis. Does he look the same as DD to you?

Mark Kaboly covers the Steelers for The Athletic. There's an article on SportsMockery.Com where he says he doubts Fields will get a fair shot a competing for the #1 QB job with Wilson and he also doesn't think Fields will be part of the KO return.

The News For Justin Fields In Pittsburgh Keeps Getting Worse

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom