Heat Pump +$700

Pro/Con ?

- was told last year I needed to replace, I held off as leak lasted all season

Last year 6.5k, this year 9.5k

Why - new refrigerant that becomes mandatory in July has propane

New system, was told motor is completely enclosed new motor is $1200

All said heat pump vs ac

Never had a heat pump

What size and what seer rating? It may be a bit more on front end, but a seer rating of 16 or higher, variable speed will do wonders for your electric bill.

Not sure about seer rating

I’ve been told the rusting of the coils and box was due to spray foam insulation on rafters and under house , house is off the ground couple of feet

Doesn’t handle moisture

Not sure about seer rating

I’ve been told the rusting of the coils and box was due to spray foam insulation on rafters and under house , house is off the ground couple of feet

Doesn’t handle moisture

I've heard of this with spray foam.

I'm a HVAC contractor and the pros of a heat pump is that it will help save money on heating cost but in LA climate those savings will be minimal. An electric furnace is very simple and have very few problems.

You should still be able to get a R410 (current freon) system now .That will save you big money. Its going to stick around for the life of your system so don't let them tell you it going to be obsolete. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm a HVAC contractor and the pros of a heat pump is that it will help save money on heating cost but in LA climate those savings will be minimal. An electric furnace is very simple and have very few problems.

You should still be able to get a R410 (current freon) system now .That will save you big money. Its going to stick around for the life of your system so don't let them tell you it going to be obsolete. Let me know if you have any questions.
Yes I was thinking that the refrigerate would have to be around for years as the current systems are in place wverywhy

I may have to call another company,

my folks just had to replace both of their systems ( upstairs and down stairs) and were told they weren’t allowed to install the old style

I have a refrigeration background and I was about to argue with you for being wrong on the Internet until I thought about it.

I think you are probably correct that for now with the electric prices being what they are, somewhat low compared to what is a sky high pricing here.

And a cost factor for a brief moderate heating load period, followed by a long hot humid cooling period for which the reversing valve places on a heat pump a modest in-efficiency which wouldn't be there on a straight AC condenser unit. It might add up to more electricity use during the cooling season than what is saved during the heating season.

With low electricity prices electric furnaces are not that much worse. Here the peak load prices is around 36 cents a kilowatt. Here an electric furnace is something to be removed and gotten rid of, no one can afford them any more in California.

It's funny how outside factors of operation can flip what one would think it ought to be. Here heat pumps are great except swamp coolers work here, and I have to heat with wood or soon be piled over with it. Those use factors cause me to not even have a furnace or refrigerated AC system at all. I save a bunch of money and would have to cut that wood, and then burn it out in the yard anyway for fire prevention.

About that freon. I have a lot of chemistry classes in my college background. I working on the conversion of systems from old refergrants to new for years. Done thousands of large system conversion. I wouldn't worry about some propane in the blend at all. Its a good refrigerant, however it's too flammable to be used as a pure refrigerant. But a modest amount of propane in the blend as long as it is proportioned below a flammable concentration in a blend it's OK to use it. Propane is compatible with the synthetic rubber in the system, and the lubricants which are in use now.

BTW I never had a bit of problem with any of the bends I've used, and since I was working on mostly low temp systems I've used 20 or 30 refrigerant blends over the years. A dozen lubricants, both mineral oil and synthetic. In every case the engineering parameters were met without fail for each and every product on the market.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom