Breaking! Official 2024 Saints UDFA Class: currently 16 Signings & 19 R-Minicamp Invites (5 Viewers)

Agreed on signing another player at S, OL, RB, except WR. I think we’ll add Justin Simmons and Peat/Becton as soon as signings doesn’t count against the comp pick formula after the first week of May I believe.

I really thought we would’ve added Renfrow in March. But we signed two other vet WRs Ced Wilson and St. Brown instead. They’re turning 28 and 29 and both are familiar with the offense. I don’t think there’s room for another vet there at least a big name like Renfrow since they wouldn’t be walking into a guaranteed roster spot. About 4 WRs are roster locks in $ guarantees and previous production; CO, Sheed, Perry, & Wilson. Bub Means was just drafted and adds another dynamic to the WR unit in physicality & YAC. I think Means and St. Brown will be the 5th & 6th WRs. The udfa Kyle Sheets could push St. Brown. We usually don’t carry above 6 WRs but Stanley Morgan Jr. could make the team for ST. Maybe Morgan Jr takes the 6th spot as a STer.
I like Bub Means, he plays with high confidence and appears NFL ready, I expect him immediately contribute to ST, maybe return punts?

I like Bub Means, he plays with high confidence and appears NFL ready, I expect him immediately contribute to ST, maybe return punts?

I think he's going to take over the X, similar to Jennings in SF. Dude just wants to ball and has the right mindset of a team player. An X like Jennings allows Deebo, Aiyuk, CMC and Kittle to eat. An X that demands the ball like MT takes away from the team. We saw that last year when MT was in, Juwan suffered. Someone brought that up recently and it makes sense. I see Means as our X with ATP as a Big Z like Higgins.

I think he's going to take over the X, similar to Jennings in SF. Dude just wants to ball and has the right mindset of a team player. An X like Jennings allows Deebo, Aiyuk, CMC and Kittle to eat. An X that demands the ball like MT takes away from the team. We saw that last year when MT was in, Juwan suffered. Someone brought that up recently and it makes sense. I see Means as our X with ATP as a Big Z like Higgins.
I get that vibe too, he’ll make the big game-winner catch and the huge 3rd and 5 contested catch in traffic to move the chains. He seems the perfect fit for the x.

Stona is one of the Saints’ rookie minicamp invites. His NFL.com scouting profile projects him to develop into a TE but reporter Aaron Wilson’s invite tweet lists him as a DE. He has a really interesting athletic profile in speed, hands and wingspan at 6’6/265 for either TE or DE. He could be a developmental project on the PS for a couple years since he has no football exp

Stona is one of the Saints’ rookie minicamp invites. His NFL.com scouting profile projects him to develop into a TE but reporter Aaron Wilson’s invite tweet lists him as a DE. He has a really interesting athletic profile in speed, hands and wingspan at 6’6/265 for either TE or DE. He could be a developmental project on the PS for a couple years since he has no football exp
easier to play DE and special teams, Idthink

easier to play DE and special teams, Idthink
Especially special teams. He can be on the coverage unit and utilize his length to block punts. I think TE could be easier for Stona to display his athleticism and carve out a role as a receiver. He’d just have to learn how to block. He would be buried at DE since we’re so crowded there.

Loomis is going to have to hit the free agent market hard. Need to sign an established veteran WR, maybe OBJ or Hunter Renfrow. Definitely more offensive line depth (Peat, Becton, and/or Zeitler), a veteran TE, and another safety, maybe Justin Simmons. To me the undrafted free agent list is unwhelming, hopefully the Punter will make the team. Possibly need another RB if last year was a guide, with how long Miller was out with injury. Maybe we make some trades. Still lots of time, but we are lacking in quality depth.
we need ol help for sure... lets see what eles is available after the next round of potential cuts.

I saw Hedley kick at home and away games in person too. He’s a very good punter for field position and the coverage unit according to IN20, little-no return yards, and average opponent LOS after punts. We not use to seeing a punter punt for team field position instead of punting for the most yards for themselves. Yard avgs doesn’t directly indicate anything positive for the team/coverage unit.

Hayball is the same Aussie style punter as Hedley. He’s 4 years younger so he puts more power behind his punts and adds 5-10 yards to them. The difference is Hayball’s 50+ yard punts allowed 15-25 yard returns in college more often than Hedley allowed a 6+ yard return last year. Hayball almost has as many 33-40 yard punts landing outside of the 20 as he does 50-60 yard punts. It won’t be easy to beat out Hedley in field position consistency but Hayball has a good leg with youth on his side.
Not sure how the season ended but late in season he was not good in net average either. He needs to go IMO. Whether the replacement is Hayball or someone else, he needs to go.

Not sure how the season ended but late in season he was not good in net average either. He needs to go IMO. Whether the replacement is Hayball or someone else, he needs to go.
Average opp LOS after his punts is the 21 (20.6) yard line which is similar to the top 10 net-average punters’ opponent 22-18 yard line range. He gets the job done in field position like the top punters.

I think until there’s another punter who replicates top 5 least return yards, top 5 IN20 and pushes the opp LOS further back behind the standard avg opp yard line, Hedley will be the punter. It’d have to be done more than him during preseason games. It looks like opp yard line and return yards allowed is evaluated a little higher than net average since those directly show where the punter is putting his defense on the field after his punts more than yard averages.

If you haven’t already, have a listen to this. His coach confirms the points mentioned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom