Taliese Fuaga starting out at Left Tackle (1 Viewer)

No deep Google dive just did 1 search titled " Why is left tackle not as important anymore" It's the same kind of research I did on Penning and to confirm that Marrone was part of the problem. Kind of looking under the surface

For every old article like that there are 10 explaining why LT is more important.

I don’t even understand what we are even arguing at this point. Is it merely a disagreement that (for example) I may think LT is 30% more important than RT while you think it’s only 10% more important?

As I said earlier, we are debating semantics here.

Hopefully Penning can lock down RT if they feel that Fuaga is the best option to start at LT.

It’ll be pretty bad if Penning can’t start over Landon Young on the right side.

With the signing of a vet OG today and trying Fuaga at LT, I'm wondering if maybe they are thinking of trying Saldiveri at RT?

Last edited:
With the signing of a vet OG today and trying Fuaga at RT, I'm wondering if maybe they are thinking of trying Saldiveri at RT?
I was thinking the same. Signing Patrick could allow the Saints to start their 5 best OL. He’s fresh off of starting almost a full season in ‘23 and could be a starter for another year.

OL lineup may be LT Fuaga, LG Patrick, C McCoy,
RG Ruiz, and RT Saldiveri/Penning.

Saldiveri and Penning might be competing for the 5th starting OL spot at RT if the Saints fall in love with Fuaga at LT. Saldiveri has more RT experience than TP. He doesn’t have to knock off much rust.

I was thinking the same. Signing Patrick could allow the Saints to start their 5 best OL. He’s fresh off of starting almost a full season in ‘23 and could be a starter for another year.

OL lineup may be LT Fuaga, LG Patrick, C McCoy,
RG Ruiz, and RT Saldiveri/Penning.

Saldiveri and Penning might be competing for the 5th starting OL spot at RT if the Saints fall in love with Fuaga at LT. Saldiveri has more RT experience than TP. He doesn’t have to knock off much rust.

I’m still holding out hope for an “Oh my God that’s Ryan Ramcyzk’s music!” moment at training camp.

I know a lot of the published reports are bleak, but don’t at all think that Ram is just going to roll over and give up on this thing.

For every old article like that there are 10 explaining why LT is more important.

Nobody is disagree with this. 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️

The article DSnFLA cites as his more credible source is literally titled "There is no longer a distinction between left tackles and right tackles," and says in the very beginning that anyone that thinks otherwise doesn't really know what they're talking about when it comes to football.

200w.gif

Last edited:
The article DSnFLA cites as his more credible source is literally titled "There is no longer a distinction between left tackles and right tackles."

200w.gif
I think the whole point of the debate is , yes LT is more important than RT but not as much as it used to be. And my point is you still need a quality player @ RT more so that in yrs past because defenses are bringing pressure from all across the D line, so if Fuaga is a superior player @ RT leave him there if TP makes an improvement @ LT. Example: Let's say Fuaga is a bit better @ LT than TP Keeping TF @ RT and TP @ LT may be better for the line in general than TF @ LT and making TP switch to RT or having Udo play RT. I think an OL with TP@ LT Saldiveri or Patrick @ LG , McCoy @ C , Ruiz @RG and Fuaga @ RT would be a better OL than swapping TP and TF

I think the whole point of the debate is , yes LT is more important than RT but not as much as it used to be. And my point is you still need a quality player @ RT more so that in yrs past because defenses are bringing pressure from all across the D line, so if Fuaga is a superior player @ RT leave him there if TP makes an improvement @ LT. Example: Let's say Fuaga is a bit better @ LT than TP Keeping TF @ RT and TP @ LT may be better for the line in general than TF @ LT and making TP switch to RT or having Udo play RT. I think an OL with TP@ LT Saldiveri or Patrick @ LG , McCoy @ C , Ruiz @RG and Fuaga @ RT would be a better OL than swapping TP and TF

So are you saying that I should just ignore the information from the 5-year old article you posted?

I feel like I am debating a moving target here.

And my point is you still need a quality player @ RT more so that in yrs past because defenses are bringing pressure from all across the D line

Don't believe anyone has said otherwise. RT is important.

If we are both saying LT is more important, then it is silly for us to be debating the "level" of how much more important it is; that's semantics. Both line positions serve key functions.

The article you yourself cited said otherwise though, indicating that both positions no longer have a distinction, so if it was wrong for me to conclude that the article you cited represented your position, I apologize.

So are you saying that I should just ignore the information from the 5-year old article you posted?

I feel like I am debating a moving target here.

Don't believe anyone has said otherwise. RT is important.

If we are both saying LT is more important, then it is silly for us to be debating the "level" of how much more important it is; that's semantics. Both line positions serve key functions.

The article you yourself cited said otherwise though, indicating that both positions no longer have a distinction, so if it was wrong for me to conclude that the article you cited represented your position, I apologize.
I think the bottom line is that the gap of importance is no longer as wide as it was in the past between the level of talent needed @ LT and RT. That explains my thinking that keeping Fuaga @ RT could be our best move. In a yr that we could have 2 rookies starting on the OL keeping players at the position they have played most or all of their careers might be the safest move

I think the LT and RT discussion is going around in circles, just a bit ;).
I'll add something different: for the posters who are worried that Fuaga is being crosstrained, the comments from Allen seem to suggest that they are more than satisfied with the technique Fuaga is coming into the league with. If you see scouting reports on him, you will see that he is already extremely sound. I think the decision to try him out at LT just about confirms that the team has similar feelings.

Versatility on the line. Nothing to see here for me. We like lineman that can plug and play in multiple spots . This is how you find out....in camp

I think the bottom line is that the gap of importance is no longer as wide as it was in the past between the level of talent needed @ LT and RT. That explains my thinking that keeping Fuaga @ RT could be our best move. In a yr that we could have 2 rookies starting on the OL keeping players at the position they have played most or all of their careers might be the safest move

Fair enough. I guess like it has been said by many, it doesn't hurt to try to see if we have something special there with him at LT first, but I do agree, we need to sometimes not try to be cute and let guys play where they have shown strength.

This is a bad idea. While he is a great player, if you are pinning your hopes on a rookie to play LT; a position that, to my knowledge has never played before- your season is doomed already. Let him play the position that he is familiar with and let it become a strength instead of a weakness on both positions, by having him play out of position and another new at RT

Another piss poor decision by DA, who will be gone next year.

This is a bad idea. While he is a great player, if you are pinning your hopes on a rookie to play LT; a position that, to my knowledge has never played before- your season is doomed already. Let him play the position that he is familiar with and let it become a strength instead of a weakness on both positions, by having him play out of position and another new at RT

Another piss poor decision by DA, who will be gone next year.

I've actually kind of come around to it. There is going to be an adjustment period for Fuaga either way, and I'd like to think that our coaching staff, especially with a guy like Dennison in the room, is equipped to recognize immediately if Fuaga is a fraud at LT or not.

It's a simply rookie/veteran tryout mini-camp, probably bare bone basic stuff. I don't see the harm. It would be quite the coup to shore up the LT position for the next decade if he works out there.

DA : "Hey, we just drafted a stud RT - Let's play him out of position and see what happens?"

All BS aside... This is not a bad thing - And tells me that the Saints still have no idea if Penning can play LT.... Or if they will have to move him to RT or LG to get anything out of him at all before throwing in the towel.

In any case, they can probably fill in the RT spot with a FA, or Landon Young, or Saldiveri.... and shuffle things around.... but playing Fuaga out of the box at LT tells me that realize they absolutely need to shore up Carr's blindside, and that they are certainly not sold on Penning there.

At least they are not gaslighting themselves on that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom