New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Tech-Talk Board

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 PM   #1

peytonknows is on a distinguished roadpeytonknows is on a distinguished road
WHY must I reset my modem constantly???

Okay, I have a Toshiba PCX 2500 modem and Netgear router. Just about every 3 hours I must reset the modem because the internet will "time out" for lack of a better phrase. I do not understand this, I have looked at the settings, searched the internet and looked into different matters to no avail. Any reasons or suggestions as to why this is happening and how I can fix it. Thanks in advance.
peytonknows is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
all Saints!! and beer too

ecuas12 is on a distinguished roadecuas12 is on a distinguished roadecuas12 is on a distinguished roadecuas12 is on a distinguished roadecuas12 is on a distinguished roadecuas12 is on a distinguished road
This is a Cable connection or DSL?? It is possible that you could have to change the LAN IP address of the router. It is likely 192.168.1.1. Just change it to like 192.168.0.1 or something different like 10.10.10.1. I know sometimes with the old Bellsouth Westell modems, it had an ipconflict with standard linksys or netgear routers.
ecuas12 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #3

Mumu Champion

Severum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club Member
Severum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club Member
I'd take the router out and see if you still have problems through a direct connection. Could be DHCP related, try checking the router and modem logs. Do the modem status lights indicate any issues?

I had a PCX 2200 and it was a pretty poor performer.
Severum is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
#1 Fan

SaintRob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintRob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintRob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintRob is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
SaintRob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintRob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintRob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintRob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintRob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintRob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintRob is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Here's some online help:

http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp...d-25f642727222
SaintRob is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
Burrrrrrrsitis!

Saint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Saint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Try hooking the modem to one PC, and see if it keeps dropping out as frequently or at all. If it does, then I doubt its the router. Call your cable company and tell then whats happening, you may have some funky lines or a bad modem. Thatss been my experience with DSL and cable modems that exhibit this behavior.

If it stops, well then you indeed will have to look at the router settings.
Saint77 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #6

peytonknows is on a distinguished roadpeytonknows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuas12 View Post
This is a Cable connection or DSL?? It is possible that you could have to change the LAN IP address of the router. It is likely 192.168.1.1. Just change it to like 192.168.0.1 or something different like 10.10.10.1. I know sometimes with the old Bellsouth Westell modems, it had an ipconflict with standard linksys or netgear routers.
Cable connection.

To the rest of you, I am trying all of the tips. Thanks a bunch and I'll let you know how it goes.
peytonknows is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
Rethink Everything

Pure Energy is on a distinguished roadPure Energy is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 
Total Awards: 1

Peyton...had the same problem when I had Cable. Now that I have switched to DSl...I have to reset my modem maybe twice a month versus twice a day. Good luck addressing the problem.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
Very Banned

nolazach is an unknown quantity at this point
The IP change worked well for me. Yesterday my modem went out so I logged onto my neighbor's wi-fi and his modem was out too. I think things like this just happen from time to time with COX, exp if you are using a router, which they hate.
nolazach is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 05:50 AM   #9
Super Forum Fanatic

Buickman is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Buickman is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuickman is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuickman is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuickman is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuickman is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuickman is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuickman is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuickman is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuickman is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuickman is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuickman is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
I had this same problem, but it was the netgear (WG624) router that I had to reset. It will only do it when I have the wireless turned on.
Buickman is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
Clan of dren

Cajun Mike is a true SaintCajun Mike is a true SaintCajun Mike is a true Saint
Cajun Mike is a true SaintCajun Mike is a true SaintCajun Mike is a true SaintCajun Mike is a true SaintCajun Mike is a true SaintCajun Mike is a true SaintCajun Mike is a true SaintCajun Mike is a true Saint
usually if you have to reset the modem, either the settings in the router are wrong, or you have a bad modem. I have that one sitting in the closet i usually have to reset modem maybe once every 3-4 months??? it really doesn't happen often. Check your lease time settings on the router!

And we will not even start talking about that wonderful
Westell piece of C _ _ _ . You can fill out the rest
Cajun Mike is offline Reply With Quote