Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Tech-Talk Board

Old 01-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
I'm a beast.. :shrug:

Beast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Beast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Why do I have to keep power cycling my router/modem?

I have a wireless home network, with a Linksys router and a cable modem.. For some reason, once a day I have to power cycle my router and my modem in order to connect to the Internet.. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Old 01-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #2

Mumu Champion

Severum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club Member
Severum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club Member
Need to figure out if the problem is with your cable, the router, the computer, or a combination. Have you tried power cycling the modem and router separately? When you're unable to connect to the internet are you still able to reach the router configuration page?
Severum is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #3

Beast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Beast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBeast is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severum View Post
Need to figure out if the problem is with your cable, the router, the computer, or a combination. Have you tried power cycling the modem and router separately? When you're unable to connect to the internet are you still able to reach the router configuration page?
When it happened earlier this evening, I tried just power cycling the router, but that didn't fix the connection..

I haven't tried to connect to the router configuration page, but I will the next time my connection fails..
Beast is online now Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #4

Mumu Champion

Severum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club Member
Severum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club Member
If you can connect, try checking the logs on the router and using it's ping tool to verify the connection is lost.

Just do a power cycle on the modem when the connection dies the next time to see if that fixes it. If the modem power cycle alone cures it then I'd guess the problem lies with the modem or somewhere further up the line. Do the modem's status lights indicate any problems when it happens?

Old 01-06-2007, 03:23 AM   #5
Longtime Lurker

thiefinthenight is on a distinguished roadthiefinthenight is on a distinguished roadthiefinthenight is on a distinguished roadthiefinthenight is on a distinguished roadthiefinthenight is on a distinguished road
Also try checking if your router and modem's firmware are up to date. I was having problems with my router until I updated. After I did that, I had no more problems
thiefinthenight is online now Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2007, 04:43 AM   #6
The LateNight Bar

kansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
kansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famerkansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famerkansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famerkansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famerkansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famerkansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famerkansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famerkansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famerkansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famerkansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famerkansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famerkansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famerkansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famerkansast is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
There was a time when I had to power cycle my modem and router on a regular basis. Once I replace my router last year, I haven't had to power cycle anything since.

Your milage may vary.

kansast is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
If you can connect, try checking the logs on the router and using it's ping tool to verify the connection is lost.

Just do a power cycle on the modem when the connection dies the next time to see if that fixes it. If the modem power cycle alone cures it then I'd guess the problem lies with the modem or somewhere further up the line. Do the modem's status lights indicate any problems when it happens?
I've been wondering if the problem is actually with my ISP.. The only suspicious thing this last time was that the "PC Activity" light was solid orange..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiefinthenight;
Also try checking if your router and modem's firmware are up to date. I was having problems with my router until I updated. After I did that, I had no more problems
I'll check that.. Thanks..

Old 01-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #8

Quote:

Well, the thing made a liar out of me for a few days, but it started acting up again tonight.. My wife was trying to access the Internet while I was driving home and it wouldn't connect.. So I had her type in the router's address and the login prompt came up, so I can obviously still connect to the router.. I forgot the part about just rebooting the modem, but I'm pretty sure the problem is with my ISP now..

Old 01-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #9

St. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club Member
St. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club MemberSt. Widge Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone View Post
Well, the thing made a liar out of me for a few days, but it started acting up again tonight.. My wife was trying to access the Internet while I was driving home and it wouldn't connect.. So I had her type in the router's address and the login prompt came up, so I can obviously still connect to the router.. I forgot the part about just rebooting the modem, but I'm pretty sure the problem is with my ISP now..
I had this problem for awhile and it turned out that my real problem was local interference with the router signal. I had a Linksys router and I replaced it with a Netgear router that has 7 built in antennas and more range and my problem has been solved. I'm not sure if that' your problem, but it might be if you keep getting a signal drop.
St. Widge is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #10

Ok, I rebooted just the modem this evening and it's up and running now.. It's either something internal to the modem or the ISP..

Old 01-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #11

Mumu Champion

I'd call support and have them check the signal levels, if you can log into your modem it might have an event log also. Replacing the modem could help or it could be house lines/splitters/plant/headend.