New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

View Poll Results: Would you buy packaged "seasoned" packages of meat at the grocery store?
Yes, there's nothing wrong with it. 17 32.08%
No, the "seasoning" is used to mask that the meat is going bad. 30 56.60%
Other, I'll explain 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Very Banned

DadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true Saint
DadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true Saint
The truth about "seasoned" packages of meat at the grocery store?

You're in the meat aisle at the grocery store and you come across a bin of packaged country style pork ribs...or chicken...or beef.

These meat packages are all "seasoned" heavily with spices which include a lot of paprika, masking the true color of the meat.

The price is .10 to .20 cents a pound less than fresh cuts of the same meat.

"Reduced For Quick Sale"

Would you buy it?
DadsDream is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Subscribing Member

BIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club Member
BIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club Member
I buy the fajita meat and throw it on the grill.
BIG E is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Very Banned

DadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true Saint
They had a repackaged/recycled section at the end of the aisle at Kroger that my sister used to call the "Used Meat" section.

She didn't hesitate on things like cuts of London broil or sirloin, but would not touch recycled chicken.

Any of you folks who have worked in butcher sections of chain grocery stores, please feel free to share your experience. You don't have to name the store.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Playmaker

adsmm23 is a future SR.com Hall of Fameradsmm23 is a future SR.com Hall of Fameradsmm23 is a future SR.com Hall of Fameradsmm23 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
adsmm23 is a future SR.com Hall of Fameradsmm23 is a future SR.com Hall of Fameradsmm23 is a future SR.com Hall of Fameradsmm23 is a future SR.com Hall of Fameradsmm23 is a future SR.com Hall of Fameradsmm23 is a future SR.com Hall of Fameradsmm23 is a future SR.com Hall of Fameradsmm23 is a future SR.com Hall of Fameradsmm23 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
I used to work in the meat department my senior year in high school, and my best advice is to not get the "market style" ground meat from WD.
adsmm23 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Very Banned

Found an interesting cooperative extension article about the negative effect on meat in grocery displays caused by the lighting.

Hey, I'd buy that (club ribeye?) steak on the left!

Quote:
Cooperative Extension System
Meat Display Lighting
Last Updated: April 22, 2010

Ramsbottom et al. (1951) found fluorescent lighting at 60 to 200 foot-candle intensity resulted in no loss of beef color during 3-day display. Kraft and Ayres (1954) observed a steady change in color of fresh beef from bright red to dull red during 2 days exposure of fresh beef to 30-40 foot-candles of fluorescent light. Marriott et al. (1967) found beef short loin steaks stored in the dark at 27OF for 10 days changed only slightly in visual color. Steaks kept under 120 foot-candles of soft white fluorescent light discolored markedly after 5 days and continued to become progressively less desirable with longer display. Steaks stored in the dark for 3, 5, or 7 days prior to display showed display life similar to those placed in display without any prior storage time.

Gould (1963) reported pork discoloration under lighting to be related to warmer product surface temperature, but light intensities that did not raise surface temperature did not affect discoloration of fresh pork chops.

Cured meat is very vulnerable to oxygen in the package and presents a different situation than fresh meat. Andersen et al., (1988) concluded that storing vacuum packaged ham in the dark for four days reduced inpackage oxygen which resulted in excellent color stability when the product was displayed. Managing the cured product under this scenario helped overcome the undesirable effects that oxygen can have when products are exposed to display light.

http://www.extension.org/pages/Meat_Display_Lighting

Old 10-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Vesti le procè flamber

Location: Houston via New Jersey, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Dallas, Abilene, Oklahoma City, & San Antonio
tenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
tenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Ramsbottom
OK, is it just me or would you be hesitant buying meat with a tag on it that says that? Just asking...
tenordas is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
THE WOOD WAS BROUGHT

cdogg 50K Burger Clubcdogg 50K Burger Clubcdogg 50K Burger Clubcdogg 50K Burger Clubcdogg 50K Burger Club
cdogg 50K Burger Clubcdogg 50K Burger Clubcdogg 50K Burger Clubcdogg 50K Burger Clubcdogg 50K Burger Clubcdogg 50K Burger Clubcdogg 50K Burger Clubcdogg 50K Burger Clubcdogg 50K Burger Clubcdogg 50K Burger Club
Sounds delicious. They have any Emu husk too?

Old 10-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Very Banned

Sarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger Club
Sarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsDream View Post
You're in the meat aisle at the grocery store and you come across a bin of packaged country style pork ribs...or chicken...or beef.

These meat packages are all "seasoned" heavily with spices which include a lot of paprika, masking the true color of the meat.

The price is .10 to .20 cents a pound less than fresh cuts of the same meat.

"Reduced For Quick Sale"

Would you buy it?
I put other. I'm not a fan of "seasoned" anything you listed. But Wal-mart sells a "pre-marinated" pork tenderloin that's awesome.

It's the only meat I'll ever buy at wal-mart of all places, but it's really good. I don't do anything but throw it in the oven/grill, delicious.
Sarcastic is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
All-Pro

tbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura abouttbuck has a spectacular aura about
It depends on the grocery store. I worked at a grocery store that would season fresh meat because people would pay more for the convenience. we did the same thing with watermelon, cantaloupe, and other melons. we could cut it up put it a plastic container and mixed a few kinds of fruit together and make almost twice the profit.

but no I wouldn't buy "reduced" seasoned meat it is just old.
tbuck is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
on my own ignore list

keefresh2 is a true Saintkeefresh2 is a true Saintkeefresh2 is a true Saint
keefresh2 is a true Saint
At HEB here in the town I live in (in TX) I've bought seasoned chicken twice, maybe a couple of years between instances. Both times I returned the meat because I could smell something unpleasant as soon as I opened the package. It was obvious they were using the seasoning to mask the odor and/or color of questionable meat. No way I'm feeding that roadkill to people I care about. Unbelievable!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
Very Banned

LickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
LickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Just cook it thoroughly and you should be fine.
LickenKittens is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
WhoDat in exile.

parlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Member
parlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Member
I'm fussy about meat. I won't even buy "stew beef". That stuff is just nasty. Veiny, gristley hunks of leftover caca. I'd rather cut up a london broil and slow cook it for hours and hours.

Regarding the reduced stuff, I'm hesitant at best. Our local supermarket has a 5/$19.99 section, where they've got sausage, chicken, beef, whatever. When each is priced in the $5-$5.50 range, it makes for 10-20% savings, if you buy that stuff. I've got a good friend who wraps the meat there. I'll ask her what's fresh, and what to avoid. She hasn't steered me wrong yet. As she's an older single lady who hates to cook for herself, occasionally we'll bring her a serving of whatever it is we're making. Win/win.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
Victim of Laughing Chance

purvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Club
purvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Clubpurvis_guy 40K Burger Club
We bought chicken ONCE at Walmart, never again.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Le Grande Fromarge

tomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to behold
tomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to behold
Make the trip to Milton and go to Broussard's Grocery or to Youngsville and go to NuNu's (same family) to buy their seasoned meat and you can rest assured that it will be fresh. No, I'm not related to them, just a very satisfied customer. It's awesome, well worth the trip.
tomdda is offline Reply With Quote