New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 05-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #43
Mako

Code is an unknown quantity at this point
TCUDan does an excellant job with his posts. Like ddd I tend to learn something after reading Dan's posts. I continue to be hopeful that time allows him to post huis thoughts on the '07 draft....Last year's was awesome and offerred great insight into the players selected.
Code is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #44

Danchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Danchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Saint View Post
It doesn't say a player must be set to be eligible. It says:

1. Players one yard behind the LOS are eligible (except T-formation QB)
2. One back may be in motion parellel to the LOS

So a back can be in motion and still be eligible. You see this all the time in the NFL.
I wonder if Stonewall knows a ref that could clarify this... I'm prepared to eat crow if I'm wrong. I'm not that stubborn
Danchrism is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #45
Gonzo Moderator

RockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger Club
RockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danchrism View Post
I wonder if Stonewall knows a ref that could clarify this... I'm prepared to eat crow if I'm wrong. I'm not that stubborn
I'm not a ref but I can clarify it for you. Actually I already did if you look at my last post. Eligible receivers are the ends and anybody lined up at least a yard behind the LOS. Ends are defined as the two outside players on the LOS.

Motion does not affect eligibility. I think this is where you're getting confused. One player can be in motion parallel to the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped but he is still eligible. If a player moves closer to the line of scrimmage and stops, he must reset for one second before the ball is snapped.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #46
Survivor Bowl 7 Champion

62 Defense is on a distinguished road62 Defense is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnSaint View Post
I'm not a ref but I can clarify it for you. Actually I already did if you look at my last post. Eligible receivers are the ends and anybody lined up at least a yard behind the LOS. Ends are defined as the two outside players on the LOS.

Motion does not affect eligibility. I think this is where you're getting confused. One player can be in motion parallel to the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped but he is still eligible. If a player moves closer to the line of scrimmage and stops, he must reset for one second before the ball is snapped.
That is what I basically told DanChrism in my post about 5 post up - he must did not want to believe me. As for as the ref - how about the fact that I coached football for almost 20 yrs.

I could confuse most everyone on here with shift and motion sets. Basically what you are doing is creating coverage confusion for the D by shifting from a regular (balanced) set to a strong right or strong left formation. You can also very easily shift into an un-balanced line with a flanker to the strong side.

Not trying to sound cocky, but I knows a whole lot about football offensive sets than most folks here on the SSF. I will be glad to help anyone with a better understanding about football X and O's.
62 Defense is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #47
All-Pro

ATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura aboutATL-St.Fan has a spectacular aura about
This is one of the best threads I have read recently. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Last edited by ATL-St.Fan; 09-11-2008 at 11:34 PM. Reason: hand fell asleep begore typing . . .
ATL-St.Fan is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #48
Northshore Who Dat

Archie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura aboutArchie_4_HOF has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUDan View Post
I saw a discussion about this on another thread but figured I'd start my own to see if it helps everyone grasp what Payton was referring to in his press conference:

It has to do with basic receiver lettering. You have X, Y, Z, R, and H (it can vary depending on the team). In a pro set (2 receivers, tight end, two backs), the X is the split end and the Z is the flanker. This means that the X lines up on the line of scrimmage on the open side (opposite the tight end... get it, split end/tight end). He is not covering a receiver. The Z, or the flanker, lines up on the tight end side and has to be a yard off the line for the formation to be legal (otherwise the tight end is ineligible).

Once you go into a spread or single back formation, things change. The slot receiver becomes "R" (where R was the fullback, it's now the slot). You can also have Y (tight end in a pro set) become the slot. This helps with pass play calling as well. Some teams, mostly in collegiate and high school football, use route trees and route numbers for play calls. So you might hear a play such as "Spread right, Z zoom, 821 H-swing on two." Knowing what you know now, the play call should make a lot more sense. Spread right is the allignment, Z zoom is the motion, 821 are the pass routes in the order of "XYZ." So X runs an 8, Y runs a 2, and Z runs a 1. H-swing tells you what the H man runs (the runningback or often the "H" back in two tight end sets) out of the backfield.

Basically what I'm gathering from this is that Payton likes Devery at split end probably because having him ON the line gives him a great jump on deep routes. Colston is a good flanker because he can't be muscled around and has that extra cushion to get into his routes over the middle. Some coaches prefer the opposite, with a quick, speedy flanker that can be motioned around and a big, possession split end (my preference). Meachem and Copper and Patten will also learn the slot position, so just because they're backing up X or Z doesn't mean much at this point. Basically Meachem and Copper are competing for the #3 (slot receiver) position.
Very strong explanation. At the end of the day, I don't think we have a WR who is locked into either the X or Z position. Some WR's only play one or the other in their schemes. Most of our WR's seem interchangable.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #49
XLIV

DSchexnaydre is a splendid one to beholdDSchexnaydre is a splendid one to behold
DSchexnaydre is a splendid one to beholdDSchexnaydre is a splendid one to beholdDSchexnaydre is a splendid one to beholdDSchexnaydre is a splendid one to beholdDSchexnaydre is a splendid one to beholdDSchexnaydre is a splendid one to beholdDSchexnaydre is a splendid one to beholdDSchexnaydre is a splendid one to beholdDSchexnaydre is a splendid one to beholdDSchexnaydre is a splendid one to beholdDSchexnaydre is a splendid one to beholdDSchexnaydre is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Audio/Video/News Contributions Award 

We need more threads/conversations like this on this board...

The Official SaintsReport Podcast
DSchexnaydre is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #50
Refusing to backpedal

RadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to behold
RadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to behold
Nice thread... not quite sure how it got un-earthed as it appears to be about a year and a half old... but anyway...

I thought this was interesting in the rule section:

Quote:
A T-formation quarterback is not eligible to receive a forward pass during a play from scrimmage.
By "T-formation" I assume this means what we commonly call 'shotgun'. So if the QB is in shotgun and his arm is hit as he throws, there would be a penalty if he caught the ball, correct? However, if the ball itself is tipped by a defender, the QB would be free to catch it?

Important stuff, I know... You see this happen all the time.
RadsRock is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #51
Anti-Skittle Brigade

REBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the rough
REBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the rough
Brett Favre's First TD

Old 09-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #52

rjackson57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Defense View Post
That is what I basically told DanChrism in my post about 5 post up - he must did not want to believe me. As for as the ref - how about the fact that I coached football for almost 20 yrs.

I could confuse most everyone on here with shift and motion sets. Basically what you are doing is creating coverage confusion for the D by shifting from a regular (balanced) set to a strong right or strong left formation. You can also very easily shift into an un-balanced line with a flanker to the strong side.

Not trying to sound cocky, but I knows a whole lot about football offensive sets than most folks here on the SSF. I will be glad to help anyone with a better understanding about football X and O's.
I don't think that you are coming across cocky. TCU started a great thread and you contributed some good points as well. It's refreshing to talk x and os rather than the daily, "Is Bush a bust" or "Chad Johnson changed his name threads".

With much talk of late regarding the blocking mishap on the Brees INT, I think it would be great if someone initiated a thread regarding common blocking assignments. This would probably be a good topic for many. Just a suggestion if you wanted to start a thread.
rjackson57 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 01:48 AM   #53
Refusing to backpedal

RadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to behold
RadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson57 View Post
TCU started a great thread and you contributed some good points as well. It's refreshing to talk x and os rather than the daily, "Is Bush a bust" or "Chad Johnson changed his name threads".
PLUS MANY!

Quote:
With much talk of late regarding the blocking mishap on the Brees INT, I think it would be great if someone initiated a thread regarding common blocking assignments. This would probably be a good topic for many. Just a suggestion if you wanted to start a thread.
Also agree. There was some good X/O education on one of those missed block threads. And I'd love to know more about blocking assignments, including (if we could) pros and cons of zone-blocking versus man assignment schemes.
RadsRock is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 02:54 AM   #54
Hall-of-Famer

fahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to behold
fahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to beholdfahad is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Community Service Award 

good post.
fahad is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #55
Super Moderator

AARPSaint 50K Burger ClubAARPSaint 50K Burger ClubAARPSaint 50K Burger ClubAARPSaint 50K Burger Club
AARPSaint 50K Burger ClubAARPSaint 50K Burger ClubAARPSaint 50K Burger ClubAARPSaint 50K Burger ClubAARPSaint 50K Burger ClubAARPSaint 50K Burger ClubAARPSaint 50K Burger ClubAARPSaint 50K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadsRock View Post
Nice thread... not quite sure how it got un-earthed as it appears to be about a year and a half old... but anyway...

I thought this was interesting in the rule section:

By "T-formation" I assume this means what we commonly call 'shotgun'. So if the QB is in shotgun and his arm is hit as he throws, there would be a penalty if he caught the ball, correct? However, if the ball itself is tipped by a defender, the QB would be free to catch it?

Important stuff, I know... You see this happen all the time.

Actually, I would guess that "T-formation" would mean that the QB was under center. The whole scheme seems to be based on the old T-formation, which consisted of a QB plus two halfbacks on either side of the a fullback in the backfield. There was no tight end, but rather two ends. That was the normal college alignment. The pros back as far as I can remember--and that's a loooooooong time--used the pro set, which consists of the QB, two running backs, a flanker, a split end, and a tight end. We're pretty used to that one, but it seems that the vestige of the T-formation varies through in the rules even today as a kind of premise. Some teams arranged the backs in an "I." That also goes way back. I recall a tailback for Villanova, which used the I, named Cosmo Iacavazzi. Say that name a few times: one of my favorite football names ever.

I can barely remember the single wing formation, which was kind of a weird off-center spread with an unbalanced line. USC (or was it UCLA?) and Princeton used it last IIRC. That and the double wing--which I never recall seeing--were the ancestors of the shotgun and the spread formations we see today, with the QB receiving the snap well behind the LOS. Those are not T-formations in the ancient sense.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #56
Saintastic

Taceo is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTaceo is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTaceo is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Taceo is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTaceo is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTaceo is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTaceo is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTaceo is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTaceo is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTaceo is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTaceo is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTaceo is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
X-tra special
You're a good receiver
Zoinks! How are they going to stop you?

Thats what I was taught in pee-wee football
Taceo is offline Reply With Quote