Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Old 05-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #29
Survivor Bowl 7 Champion

62 Defense is on a distinguished road62 Defense is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 
Total Awards: 1

Ok TCUDAN / Others - 4 reciever - jet left formation

I am giving you a test of your football knowledge. Name the recievers X, Y, Z - what is the fourth reciever??.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg base-1.JPG (13.3 KB, 11 views)
62 Defense is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 09:06 PM   #30
Practice Squad

LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club
LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Defense View Post
Ok TCUDAN / Others - 4 reciever - jet left formation

I am giving you a test of your football knowledge. Name the recievers X, Y, Z - what is the fourth reciever??.
The designation system i've seen in detail is you have an X, Y, Z, H, F, normally with the Y the TE, the H the Halfback, and the F the Fullback.

The only rules are the X and the Y are always the "ends" on the LOS, and the Z always "flanks" the Y or the X. The H and the F are off the LOS but can be lined up anywhere.

So in your example the SL to the left would be the H and the motion back would be the F. Despite the H being a wide reciever.

Last edited by LSSpam; 05-16-2007 at 09:11 PM.
LSSpam is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #31
The Original

Cincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Cincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danchrism View Post
I should've been more clear, my apologies.

Brees under center, Deuce and Karney in the I form. Colston is the SE, Johnson at TE next to the RT, Copper flanking. Copper comes in motion toward Colston, but doesn't "set" himself before Brees takes the hike.

- Copper is no longer an eligible receiver.
Not trying to be a sarcastic but are you sure about this? I thought that any player lined up behind the LOS was eligible to catch a pass regardless of motion.
Cincy Saint is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #32
The Original

Cincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCincy Saint is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Here's the information from the NFL Digest of Rules. Sounds to me like everyone in the offensive backfield is eligible.

Link

Quote:
1. A forward pass may be touched or caught by any eligible receiver. All members of the defensive team are eligible. Eligible receivers on the offensive team are players on either end of line (other than center, guard, or tackle) or players at least one yard behind the line at the snap. A T-formation quarterback is not eligible to receive a forward pass during a play from scrimmage.
Quote:
7. All players of offensive team must be stationary at snap, except one back who may be in motion parallel to scrimmage line or backward (not forward).

Old 05-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #33

Danchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Danchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
(edit) wow, I'm mad we posted the exact same rules.

However, if a player must be set to be eligible, not being set must mean he loses eligibility. Those two rules in cohesion seem to indicate that

↓ I've always understood that a player not lined up in the backfield would have to be set first...

Last edited by Danchrism; 05-16-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Danchrism is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #34
Survivor Bowl 7 Champion

62 Defense is on a distinguished road62 Defense is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 

Quote:
A scenario:

Brees under center, Deuce and Karney in the I form. Colston is the SE, Johnson at TE next to the RT, Copper flanking. Copper comes in motion toward Colston, but doesn't "set" himself before Brees takes the hike.

- Copper is no longer an eligible receiver
- Copper may take a handoff, a reverse, or a lateral pass
- If Copper receives a forward pass, it is an illegal forward pass - 5 yards, loss of down.
- There is a certain point where Copper becomes "ineligible receiver downfield," but I forget what it is.
- If Copper DOES set himself in position for a full second, off the LOS between the receivers that are on the LOS, he is an eligible receiver. Additionally, I believe he must be set in the space between the SE and the LT, but that may not be fully accurate.
Sorry Danchrism, but you are totally wrong!!

Copper is the 4th back in the backfield - he can go in motion, reverse his motion and he is legal as long as he does not turn upfield toward the LOS - then it would be illegal procedure call.
62 Defense is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #35
The Original

Quote:
(edit) wow, I'm mad we posted the exact same rules.

However, if a player must be set to be eligible, not being set must mean he loses eligibility. Those two rules in cohesion seem to indicate that

↓ I've always understood that a player not lined up in the backfield would have to be set first...
It doesn't say a player must be set to be eligible. It says:

1. Players one yard behind the LOS are eligible (except T-formation QB)
2. One back may be in motion parellel to the LOS

So a back can be in motion and still be eligible. You see this all the time in the NFL.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:29 AM   #36
Boise State Fan

diat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
diat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Saint View Post
It doesn't say a player must be set to be eligible. It says:

1. Players one yard behind the LOS are eligible (except T-formation QB)
2. One back may be in motion parellel to the LOS

So a back can be in motion and still be eligible. You see this all the time in the NFL.
joe horn did this quite often.

Payton on Bush/Thomas: "Both of them have different skill sets. It's our job to make sure we're putting them in the right positions to have success."
diat150 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #37
I miss that 17th Ward

slimm_17th is a name known to allslimm_17th is a name known to all
slimm_17th is a name known to allslimm_17th is a name known to allslimm_17th is a name known to allslimm_17th is a name known to allslimm_17th is a name known to allslimm_17th is a name known to allslimm_17th is a name known to allslimm_17th is a name known to allslimm_17th is a name known to allslimm_17th is a name known to allslimm_17th is a name known to all
skool is in session
slimm_17th is online now Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 AM   #38
I still hate the 49ers

Bodybag is a BEAST!Bodybag is a BEAST!Bodybag is a BEAST!Bodybag is a BEAST!Bodybag is a BEAST!Bodybag is a BEAST!Bodybag is a BEAST!Bodybag is a BEAST!Bodybag is a BEAST!Bodybag is a BEAST!Bodybag is a BEAST!Bodybag is a BEAST!
Glad you cleared that up. I just assumed those were the buttons you pressed to throw to them.
Bodybag is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #39
HOF 2010

City Champ 40K Burger ClubCity Champ 40K Burger ClubCity Champ 40K Burger ClubCity Champ 40K Burger ClubCity Champ 40K Burger Club
City Champ 40K Burger ClubCity Champ 40K Burger ClubCity Champ 40K Burger ClubCity Champ 40K Burger ClubCity Champ 40K Burger ClubCity Champ 40K Burger Club
Great Thread!!!
City Champ is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #40

GeauxldenBoy is on a distinguished roadGeauxldenBoy is on a distinguished road
great explanations TCU and Danchris
GeauxldenBoy is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #41
Making it Rain

Cuban WhoDat is on a distinguished roadCuban WhoDat is on a distinguished roadCuban WhoDat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by basilisk View Post
i disagree with his guess as to meachem's spot (we'll all see as soon as he gets in shape and learns the offense)... i think meachem will be the X or Z receiver, depending on which side the TE is on, and will always (or pretty much always) line up on the right

so when the TE is on the right, meachem will be the Z receiver, when the TE is on the left meachem will be the X receiver... just my opinion, and dependent upon meachem's learning curve
What is the explanation on why Meachem will always be lined up on the right?
Cuban WhoDat is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #42
Hall-of-Famer

dat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
dat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
I just read the posts on this thread today, and after yesterday I was expecting to be blistered.

Didn't happen, I'm glad to see many of you support what I said.

LSSpam, I understand now what you were trying to tell me about an 'uncovered receiver'. Good post as usual from you.

Thanks to you, and most everybody who responded here. I contunue to learn from threads like this and appreciate it when you, TCUDan or Danchrism or anyone else posts about actual football stuff.

ddd