New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Google Ads
Latest Poll
Grade the Saints 2014 Draft
A
B
C
D
F
Sponsored Ads

Old 05-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Cutting the lead blocker

TCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true Saint
TCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true Saint

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 
Total Awards: 1

Receiver lettering (XYZ)... what does it mean?

I saw a discussion about this on another thread but figured I'd start my own to see if it helps everyone grasp what Payton was referring to in his press conference:

It has to do with basic receiver lettering. You have X, Y, Z, R, and H (it can vary depending on the team). In a pro set (2 receivers, tight end, two backs), the X is the split end and the Z is the flanker. This means that the X lines up on the line of scrimmage on the open side (opposite the tight end... get it, split end/tight end). He is not covering a receiver. The Z, or the flanker, lines up on the tight end side and has to be a yard off the line for the formation to be legal (otherwise the tight end is ineligible).

Once you go into a spread or single back formation, things change. The slot receiver becomes "R" (where R was the fullback, it's now the slot). You can also have Y (tight end in a pro set) become the slot. This helps with pass play calling as well. Some teams, mostly in collegiate and high school football, use route trees and route numbers for play calls. So you might hear a play such as "Spread right, Z zoom, 821 H-swing on two." Knowing what you know now, the play call should make a lot more sense. Spread right is the allignment, Z zoom is the motion, 821 are the pass routes in the order of "XYZ." So X runs an 8, Y runs a 2, and Z runs a 1. H-swing tells you what the H man runs (the runningback or often the "H" back in two tight end sets) out of the backfield.

Basically what I'm gathering from this is that Payton likes Devery at split end probably because having him ON the line gives him a great jump on deep routes. Colston is a good flanker because he can't be muscled around and has that extra cushion to get into his routes over the middle. Some coaches prefer the opposite, with a quick, speedy flanker that can be motioned around and a big, possession split end (my preference). Meachem and Copper and Patten will also learn the slot position, so just because they're backing up X or Z doesn't mean much at this point. Basically Meachem and Copper are competing for the #3 (slot receiver) position.

19 out of 19 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Very Banned

REALCHRISM is on a distinguished roadREALCHRISM is on a distinguished roadREALCHRISM is on a distinguished road
Great explanation, TCU!
REALCHRISM is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Hall-of-Famer

dat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
dat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Well, that was very good as are most of your posts.

How long do you expect Meachem to be the slot reciever before he moves up to the top position, where you appear to have Henderson?

I am glad we have two very fast receivers, I just suspect Meachem has better hands and will have that job soon, but I'd prefer your opinion to mine (LOL).

ddd

Old 05-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
Subscribing Member

mt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saint
mt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUDan View Post
In a pro set (2 receivers, tight end, two backs), the X is the split end and the Z is the flanker. This means that the X lines up on the line of scrimmage on the open side (opposite the tight end... get it, split end/tight end). He is not covering a receiver. The Z, or the flanker, lines up on the tight end side and has to be a yard off the line for the formation to be legal (otherwise the tight end is ineligible).
Great post TCUDan, I need more of this sort of thing, to help me understand.

Question: where does the "Y" come in, I don't see it mentioned in your post, is Y the TE? Also you say that the X lines up on the LOS, he is not covering a receiver. Can you explain that to me? I'm unsure what that means, the X is a receiver, right?

Good stuff!

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Boise State Fan

diat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
diat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdiat150 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
it seems to be a common mistake to label henderson as a slot wr when he has seldom played in the slot.

Payton on Bush/Thomas: "Both of them have different skill sets. It's our job to make sure we're putting them in the right positions to have success."
diat150 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
Hall-of-Famer

dat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
dat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdat dam dog is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt15 View Post

Question: where does the "Y" come in, I don't see it mentioned in your post, is Y the TE? Also you say that the X lines up on the LOS, he is not covering a receiver. Can you explain that to me? I'm unsure what that means, the X is a receiver, right?

Good stuff!
It's in the post somewhere, Y is indeed the tight end.

Not covering a receiver means (i think) he's out there alone, no pick type stuff coming, just speed.

ddd

Old 05-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
Practice Squad

LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club
LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUDan View Post
Basically what I'm gathering from this is that Payton likes Devery at split end probably because having him ON the line gives him a great jump on deep routes. Colston is a good flanker because he can't be muscled around and has that extra cushion to get into his routes over the middle. Some coaches prefer the opposite, with a quick, speedy flanker that can be motioned around and a big, possession split end (my preference).
I thought the latter over the former. Putting Devery at Flanker gives him a little cushion from the LOS keeping him from being so easily jammed. Colston can handle that jam.

Course, teams don't play bump-and-run like they used too either so that's likely less of an issue.
LSSpam is online now Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #8

Danchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Danchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt15 View Post

Good stuff!
Covering a receiver is when you, for lack of a better term, keep a player off the LOS. Exactly seven men must always be on the LOS.

it looks like so (illustrations are rush jobs done in Paint):

The black receivers are on the line, grey one, off.

When you go to a 3WR set:

The SE covers the slot, the TE covers the FL. If the SE motions across the LOS, then the SL must move up onto the LOS, while the SE must then remain off the LOS. As long as all players are set before the snap (ie, not still moving a la Arena Football) then all players are eligible receivers.

Basically, anyone between line up between non-linemen (in both cases, the SE and the TE) must be a yard off the LOS to be considered eligible receivers. Anyone outside of those players is understood to be an eligible receiver.

Last edited by Danchrism; 05-16-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Danchrism is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
Hall-of-Famer

Thanks for the post LSSpam, you may have corrected my earlier post.

I was led by this statement:

"This means that the X lines up on the line of scrimmage on the open side (opposite the tight end... get it, split end/tight end). He is not covering a receiver."

Which still leads me to believe he is not talking about the Tackle.

I agree, I hope he'll come back and explain the things posters have asked about.

ddd

Old 05-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
Practice Squad

LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club
LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat dam dog View Post

"This means that the X lines up on the line of scrimmage on the open side (opposite the tight end... get it, split end/tight end). He is not covering a receiver."

I agree, I hope he'll come back and explain the things posters have asked about.

ddd
Danchrism put up some fancy pictures. Check those out

Old 05-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
Practice Squad

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 

Quote:

ddd
Btw the names are literal. You have two "ends". In most pro-sets one is "tight" against the formation, the other is "split-off" from the formation.

Split end, Tight end.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
Hall-of-Famer

I'm going to relax now.

When I read Dancrism's "As long as all players are set before the snap (ie, not still moving a la Arena Football) then all players are eligible receivers.",

I decided I don't know anything anymore.

ddd

Old 05-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
Hall-of-Famer

basilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to behold
basilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to behold
i disagree with his guess as to meachem's spot (we'll all see as soon as he gets in shape and learns the offense)... i think meachem will be the X or Z receiver, depending on which side the TE is on, and will always (or pretty much always) line up on the right

so when the TE is on the right, meachem will be the Z receiver, when the TE is on the left meachem will be the X receiver... just my opinion, and dependent upon meachem's learning curve
basilisk is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #14

Danchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Danchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDanchrism is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
I'm going to relax now.

When I read Dancrism's "As long as all players are set before the snap (ie, not still moving a la Arena Football) then all players are eligible receivers.",

I decided I don't know anything anymore.

ddd
Ever watched an Arena game? When that guy comes rocketing up the field from seemingly nowhere right before the snap?

That's forbidden in the NFL. If you go in motion, you must stand still for a full second to be considered eligible. You cannot go forward while still "in motion," I believe that is an illegal formation penalty.
Danchrism is offline Reply With Quote