New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Google Ads
Latest Poll
Grade the Saints 2014 Draft
A
B
C
D
F
Sponsored Ads

Old 09-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Runnin like a road lizard

perret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
perret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerperret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerperret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerperret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerperret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerperret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerperret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerperret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerperret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerperret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerperret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerperret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerperret318 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Brees' throwing motion

Ever noticed that Drew Brees has very distinctive throwing mechanics? Most notable is how high he holds his left hand -- open-palmed and at or above face-level -- while he cocks his right arm back and even through most of his throwing motion. Look up to the top left image of him by the SR.com logo, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I googled images of several other QBs, and the non-throwing hand is usually lower (i.e., chest level), and usually less open and facing more toward the ground.

I'm definitely not saying it's a bad thing -- hell, it seems to work pretty darned good (if it really has any impact at all)! Just something that Drew seems to do a little differently than most QBs I've seen.

Examples:

Even did it back in SD:

Last edited by perret318; 09-29-2008 at 02:35 PM.
perret318 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Wearing Saints Goggles

bobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
bobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Maybe he's protecting his head from a direct helmet to helmet hit.

No, really, that high off hand is unusual.
bobad is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Super Forum Fanatic

Bayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Bayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
that is like his sights and the receiver is like his white tail. Welcome to sportmans paradise mr drew
Bayouman007 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Rangers Lead the Way!

abnrgr has a spectacular aura aboutabnrgr has a spectacular aura aboutabnrgr has a spectacular aura aboutabnrgr has a spectacular aura aboutabnrgr has a spectacular aura aboutabnrgr has a spectacular aura aboutabnrgr has a spectacular aura aboutabnrgr has a spectacular aura aboutabnrgr has a spectacular aura aboutabnrgr has a spectacular aura aboutabnrgr has a spectacular aura aboutabnrgr has a spectacular aura aboutabnrgr has a spectacular aura aboutabnrgr has a spectacular aura about
maybe it is an aiming mechanism? Whatever it is it seems to be how he throws and it works.
abnrgr is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Every team's Elixor

BoNcHiE Prestigious Gold Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Gold Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Gold Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Gold Club Member
BoNcHiE Prestigious Gold Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Gold Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Gold Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Gold Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Gold Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Gold Club Member
I love his release. So fluid. Meanwhile you have people like Vince Young and Tony Romo shot putting the ball out there.
BoNcHiE is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
NFL Juggernaut

HOF_Smeenge is a jewel in the rough
HOF_Smeenge is a jewel in the roughHOF_Smeenge is a jewel in the roughHOF_Smeenge is a jewel in the roughHOF_Smeenge is a jewel in the roughHOF_Smeenge is a jewel in the roughHOF_Smeenge is a jewel in the roughHOF_Smeenge is a jewel in the roughHOF_Smeenge is a jewel in the rough
he's waving to the defender that is about to be burnt by that throw...
HOF_Smeenge is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
The 1 Arm Receiver

AmerVet is a future SR.com Hall of FamerAmerVet is a future SR.com Hall of FamerAmerVet is a future SR.com Hall of FamerAmerVet is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
AmerVet is a future SR.com Hall of FamerAmerVet is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
his his thumb and index act as crosshairs
AmerVet is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

Chinook is a BEAST!Chinook is a BEAST!Chinook is a BEAST!Chinook is a BEAST!Chinook is a BEAST!Chinook is a BEAST!Chinook is a BEAST!Chinook is a BEAST!Chinook is a BEAST!Chinook is a BEAST!Chinook is a BEAST!
He's trying to hold up 6 fingers, but has to wait for the ball release to get the 6th one up there.
Chinook is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
Super Forum Fanatic

SaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to behold
SaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to beholdSaintSeb is a splendid one to behold
invisible bazooka
SaintSeb is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
Very Banned

pennstater is on a distinguished roadpennstater is on a distinguished roadpennstater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerVet View Post
his his thumb and index act as crosshairs
lol
pennstater is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
How you like me now?

justdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saint
justdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saint
To me it seems that while he's not considered a tall QB he throws taller compared to some tall QBs that throw shorter. I don't know if that makes any sense or not but Drew seems to get the most out of his height with a good overhand motion compared to some taller QBs that sling it kinda side arm.
justdave is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #12
Super Forum Fanatic

nolafan33 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernolafan33 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
nolafan33 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernolafan33 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernolafan33 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernolafan33 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernolafan33 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernolafan33 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernolafan33 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernolafan33 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
that's how i throw the ball

Old 09-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #13
The 1 Arm Receiver

AmerVet is a future SR.com Hall of FamerAmerVet is a future SR.com Hall of FamerAmerVet is a future SR.com Hall of FamerAmerVet is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
AmerVet is a future SR.com Hall of FamerAmerVet is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
He's trying to hold up 6 fingers, but has to wait for the ball release to get the 6th one up there.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
The 1 Arm Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdave View Post
To me it seems that while he's not considered a tall QB he throws taller compared to some tall QBs that throw shorter. I don't know if that makes any sense or not but Drew seems to get the most out of his height with a good overhand motion compared to some taller QBs that sling it kinda side arm.
i get it . not like jamarquse russell and that sinker of his