New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 08-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
All-Pro

Belfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to behold
Belfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 
Total Awards: 1

1st Team OLine performance v SF - Analysis

The starting oline only played the 1st quarter before giving way to the younger guys. It was more or less the same offensive line as last year but with Kreutz instead of Goodwin. Stinchcomb played although I thought he'd been dealing with some injuries in camp. I think everyone identified the Oline as being one of the goats from an otherwise pretty solid performance for the Saints (albeit in pre-season). It's hard to know sometimes why it seems the Oline is doing poorly and it can be one player, a number of players, bad scheming, or non-Oline positions creating many of the problems.

I had a look at the starters' performance and came out with the following grades:

Bushrod: 85%
Nicks: 83%
Kreutz: 85%
Evans: 91%
Stinchcomb: 58%

Grades are pretty simple: + for a good play or where the lineman did his job, - for a bad play or where the lineman did not do his job. The grade is just the % of positive plays out of total plays. Some of these individual grades you might agree with, some you might not. It's my own take really based on what I consider to be a decent job by the various linemen. I don't have a playbook so I can't say for certain whether the right player got blocked but I have a decent understanding of oline blocking schemes and concepts and it's generally easy to see what should have happened. And also the film is difficult to work with - much easier with endzone copy, so some extenuating circumstances which affect grades get missed, i.e. RB trips a llineman, lineman gets run over - all you see is lineman getting run over.

All in all the Oline wasn't bad. Stinchcomb was not good. Not good at all. I'm going to chalk it up to pre-season and some sort of injury problem but he did not look very good. Bushrod caught some flak but he was pretty solid and gave up no pressure although he did have a false start. There were 16 plays in all of which two I couldn't grade due to the film being cut off, and there was a fumbled exchange (- for Kreutz) and penalty (- for Bushrod).

Kreutz was ok. He's pretty sound and looks quick and active. He seems to be to be more of a 'in the way' blocker than someone who either gets real (or even decent) push in the run game or is able to be very stout in pass blocking. He locks on well in run blocking and keeps his legs churning but he's not really powerful. He slows guys down in the pass game. It's still early days but I don't see him as being an upgrade over Goodwin. More or less the same level but different in style. I'm biased in Tennant's favour but I thought Tennant had the more dynamic performance tonight (but I didn't grade the second team.)

Below is the more detailed play by play analysis and grades:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oline v SF - Grades.jpg (234.8 KB, 177 views)
Belfast Saint is offline Reply With Quote

67 out of 68 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
Pro-Bowler

SaintFan26 is marching in
SaintFan26 is marching inSaintFan26 is marching inSaintFan26 is marching inSaintFan26 is marching inSaintFan26 is marching inSaintFan26 is marching inSaintFan26 is marching inSaintFan26 is marching inSaintFan26 is marching inSaintFan26 is marching inSaintFan26 is marching inSaintFan26 is marching inSaintFan26 is marching inSaintFan26 is marching in
Good analysis, I think if Stinchcomb doesn't step it up over the rest of the pre-season, then Strief will start the opener (barring a trade/FA pickup). I think the injury is still affecting Stinchcomb and at the very least Strief starting would give him more time to rest. Also, I thought Tennant played well upon coming into the lineup after the 1st string came out... which at least provides a little security should anything happen to Olin.

“If you can catch a brick, you can catch a football,”-Andy Tanner
SaintFan26 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
Hall-of-Famer

SuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to behold
SuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to behold
Stinch needs to be replaced......asap
SuperRemo is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
All-Pro

Belfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to behold
Belfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to beholdBelfast Saint is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintFan26 View Post
Good analysis, I think if Stinchcomb doesn't step it up over the rest of the pre-season, then Strief will start the opener (barring a trade/FA pickup). I think the injury is still affecting Stinchcomb and at the very least Strief starting would give him more time to rest. Also, I thought Tennant played well upon coming into the lineup after the 1st string came out... which at least provides a little security should anything happen to Olin.
Watching Stinchomb in the SF game really worries me. He was playing like he was when he was injured last year...just a bit slow, light-weight. It's not good. He's not been this poor for the last 5-6 years and I hope he works through it. But the grade is very bad. Maybe I was harsh in my grades but he really concerns me. And I think all the tackles we brought in (Foster, Black and the FSU guy - forgot his name) are as much for Stinchcomb as for Charles Brown. Odd as it is to say that. And you're right about Strief, he's got an opportunity here to really push Stinchcomb and may end up winning out if Stinch continues like this.

And yeah, Tennant could be starting and we'd not be any worse off and, potentially, better off by the end of the year if he continues to develop.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
Bigger than you!

LordBane will become famous soon enoughLordBane will become famous soon enoughLordBane will become famous soon enoughLordBane will become famous soon enoughLordBane will become famous soon enoughLordBane will become famous soon enoughLordBane will become famous soon enoughLordBane will become famous soon enough
Love all or your write ups brother.. Thanks for taking the time.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
Veteran Starter

Doctor's Advocate will become famous soon enoughDoctor's Advocate will become famous soon enoughDoctor's Advocate will become famous soon enoughDoctor's Advocate will become famous soon enoughDoctor's Advocate will become famous soon enoughDoctor's Advocate will become famous soon enoughDoctor's Advocate will become famous soon enoughDoctor's Advocate will become famous soon enough
Yea, 58%... so Brees is on the brink of death on about half the plays...

Hope he pulls together, or we get another solution at RT, it's crucial for Brees and the running game.
Doctor's Advocate is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
minion_patriot_drinker

mikaloyd 40K Burger Clubmikaloyd 40K Burger Clubmikaloyd 40K Burger Clubmikaloyd 40K Burger Clubmikaloyd 40K Burger Clubmikaloyd 40K Burger Club
mikaloyd 40K Burger Clubmikaloyd 40K Burger Clubmikaloyd 40K Burger Clubmikaloyd 40K Burger Clubmikaloyd 40K Burger Clubmikaloyd 40K Burger Clubmikaloyd 40K Burger Clubmikaloyd 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast Saint View Post
The starting oline only played the 1st quarter before giving way to the younger guys. It was more or less the same offensive line as last year but with Kreutz instead of Goodwin. Stinchcomb played although I thought he'd been dealing with some injuries in camp. I think everyone identified the Oline as being one of the goats from an otherwise pretty solid performance for the Saints (albeit in pre-season). It's hard to know sometimes why it seems the Oline is doing poorly and it can be one player, a number of players, bad scheming, or non-Oline positions creating many of the problems.

I had a look at the starters' performance and came out with the following grades:

Bushrod: 85%
Nicks: 83%
Kreutz: 85%
Evans: 91%
Stinchcomb: 58%

Grades are pretty simple: + for a good play or where the lineman did his job, - for a bad play or where the lineman did not do his job. The grade is just the % of positive plays out of total plays. Some of these individual grades you might agree with, some you might not. It's my own take really based on what I consider to be a decent job by the various linemen. I don't have a playbook so I can't say for certain whether the right player got blocked but I have a decent understanding of oline blocking schemes and concepts and it's generally easy to see what should have happened. And also the film is difficult to work with - much easier with endzone copy, so some extenuating circumstances which affect grades get missed, i.e. RB trips a llineman, lineman gets run over - all you see is lineman getting run over.

All in all the Oline wasn't bad. Stinchcomb was not good. Not good at all. I'm going to chalk it up to pre-season and some sort of injury problem but he did not look very good. Bushrod caught some flak but he was pretty solid and gave up no pressure although he did have a false start. There were 16 plays in all of which two I couldn't grade due to the film being cut off, and there was a fumbled exchange (- for Kreutz) and penalty (- for Bushrod).

Kreutz was ok. He's pretty sound and looks quick and active. He seems to be to be more of a 'in the way' blocker than someone who either gets real (or even decent) push in the run game or is able to be very stout in pass blocking. He locks on well in run blocking and keeps his legs churning but he's not really powerful. He slows guys down in the pass game. It's still early days but I don't see him as being an upgrade over Goodwin. More or less the same level but different in style. I'm biased in Tennant's favour but I thought Tennant had the more dynamic performance tonight (but I didn't grade the second team.)

Below is the more detailed play by play analysis and grades:

Thanks for the in depth look

Looks like we need help at right tackle.

Did anybody happen to notice which of our running backs and tight ends are able to block well?
mikaloyd is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
All-Pro

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor's Advocate View Post
Yea, 58%... so Brees is on the brink of death on about half the plays...

Hope he pulls together, or we get another solution at RT, it's crucial for Brees and the running game.
A 58% is awful. You just don't see grades that low very often. 90% and you get to go to the Oline coaches house for a home cooked meal, 80% you're in the clear, 70% expect a few snice comments at the Oline meeting, 60% expect to get crucified, below 60% you get benched.

He can play better and has usually played better. He's just had trouble since getting injured last year and based on yesterday, I don't see a dramatic improvement.

But it's pre-season and the best tackle we have will play at RT. I might take a look at Charles Brown later. He had some ups and downs but largely handled Aldon Smith ok. If he develops quickly and Stinchcomb continues to play poorly, he might get thrown into the competition.

But yeah, we can't have that sort of performance during the regular season.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
All-Pro

bleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of light
bleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of lightbleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of lightbleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of lightbleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of lightbleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of lightbleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of lightbleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of lightbleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of lightbleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of lightbleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of lightbleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of lightbleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of lightbleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of lightbleedit1960 is a glorious beacon of light
Good read. I saw about the same.
bleedit1960 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
SR is my life!

Joseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Joseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Thanks, Belfast Saint. Tennant really impressed me last night. He was getting to the second level on run plays. He's a tenacious run blocker. I'm concerned both about Stinch and our lack of push in the middle. We had the same problems last year. Kreutz just isn't physical enough. I know a big part of being center is mental and Kreutz was brought in to handle the protections, a duty which I guess the coaches feel Tennant is not ready to assume yet, but I'd like a more physical presence at center. Was anybody impressed with Strief? He didn't exactly give me confidence that he's about to unseat Stinch.
Joseph Guidry is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
Subscribing Member

mt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saint
mt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saint
Thanks so much, Belfast. I love reading this stuff.

Is the 49ers D-Line average, above average, or poor, in your opinion?

Old 08-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #12
Subscribing Member

JackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger Club
JackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger ClubJackDiesel 40K Burger Club
Nice analysis. As much as I want to chalk it up to just a preseason game I just can't. Not after last year when I saw Alex Brown struggle to create pressure in preseason and then that carry over to the rest of the year.

I think what makes the problem worse is as bad as Stinch looked, Strief didn't look that much better. I think we have a real problem there especially when you consider we play of all people Clay Matthews week 1.
JackDiesel is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
Prepare to die

Pancakes is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPancakes is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPancakes is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPancakes is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Pancakes is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel View Post
Nice analysis. As much as I want to chalk it up to just a preseason game I just can't. Not after last year when I saw Alex Brown struggle to create pressure in preseason and then that carry over to the rest of the year.

I think what makes the problem worse is as bad as Stinch looked, Strief didn't look that much better. I think we have a real problem there especially when you consider we play of all people Clay Matthews week 1.
That match up with Clay is terrifying to me. I just dont see how Stinch can handle him. Plus, we have to play Ray Edwards twice. Not good.

I hope that maybe we could trade some of our dline depth (I would love to keep them all, but I just dont see how we can when we have Rogers, Franklin, and Ellis) for a RT. Pipe dream, I know.
Pancakes is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
Our new Saints fan!

bergeaux has disabled reputation
Thanks for the analysis!